AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if this was your basement layout, where would u put your home theatre room!? show me all ur artist skills and ur thoughts on where you'd put it! about to beging the planning process and was interested on some other peoples takes on the idea! have at it!

attached is my basement layout! the bigger the home theatre room the better!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is there nothing else in the basement at all? Usually there's the furnace, HVAC or at least a staircase! If that whole space is truly empty then bottom left would give you a nice spot for and IB sub, but having the screen wall bottom right would let you have it 14' wide and as deep as you need.

Look forward to this one progressing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this isnt what i want this is what you would do with the space! the bathroom and furnice room are not included in the plans, they are already there, the layout is for the free space you can use for anything you want, bedrooms arnt nessasary , ceiling is 9ft high and try to seat as many as possible! haha have fun!

·
Registered
192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djonesvii /forum/post/20772632

this isnt what i want this is what you would do with the space! the bathroom and furnice room are not included in the plans, they are already there, the layout is for the free space you can use for anything you want, bedrooms arnt nessasary , ceiling is 9ft high and try to seat as many as possible! haha have fun!

People here are extremely helpful and very talented when it comes to designing a theater build from the ground up. I avoided countless pitfalls based on the advice I received. Friends always ask how I built my theater...I tell them, with a ton of advice from AVS.

However, you need to provide some information in order for people to help you. It helps if you at least provide a rough plan of what you had in mind. This shows that you put in some effort/thought and from there people can provide some recommendations to help you build the best possible theater to meet your needs.

If you want to simply drop of a rough sketch of your floor plan and wake-up to find a professionally designed theater I suggest you hire of the consultants that frequent this message board.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Acoustics, and the speaker room interface is the single most important aspect that matters the most, and one has some measure of impact upon. Bi-lateral symmetry is a plus wrt imaging and optimizing acoustics. So, the two obvious options that serve you well in this regard, are the top right shoe-box type rectangle, which is a secondary option. However the preferred option for me, even with the support column, is the lower right of the diagram.

I'd place the display in the lower right corner, and the entire HT at a diagonal direction. This offers many things, however foremost is the re-direction (an often applied tool in studios) of the lateral energy from the mains. Secondly, it offers a diffuse, infinitely complex rear wall characteristic. Yes, the support beam is somewhere adjacent to the LP, but it's a small, one or two person LP so after treating the column, it's rendered benign.

After addressing some acoustic issues with moderate diffusion and absorption, and generous bass trapping, the ITU 5.1 arrayed Genelec mains/surrounds would cover the top, and a complement of Lab Gruppen powered Funky Wave LMS5400 18's would have the LF supported. Several dedicated, isolated 20 amp/120 volt circuits would power the speakers and front end electronics, and 2 20 amp 240 volt circuits would supply power for the subwoofer amplifiers.

Set up REW, or OmniMic, and find and address any aberrant behavior in the time, and frequency domains. Put in your favorite source material, sit back and enjoy.

It's all very simple.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Actually, wireless, belt pack and in ears for everyone, would be ideal.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
show where the bathroom is located, and any HVAC ducts and plumbing that may interfere

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER
My next theater will be 16 seats with a 2 seater balcony, so that is what I would do with it.

Tougher to achieve in a basement. General takes lowering the 1st row to the screen into the floor some.
Has there been any DIY builds with true balcony seating. That feature is on the list if I ever win the lotto. :)

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,564 Posts
I don't think he ever finished it, it is in his thread.

Just looked it up, He built a guest house and put a theater in it with a 12 ft screen and seems to have lost interest in finishing the big one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.