AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sofa will be approx. 11 feet from the wall and used for movies and video games for the kids.

I will be using on-walls for the fronts and in-ceiling for the rear surrounds

The on-walls allow a 15˚ tilt when wall mounted so I will have to aim them down regardless of the position but unsure on which location.

My goal was to keep the left and right as close to ear level (when seated) as possible but Im open to alternative locations if performance will improve.

Appreciate the help.

Kevin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD2.
Hope you have recliners for viewing the screen. ;)
You touched on a sore spot with me. I

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
As Jeff mentioned, most people try to keep the tweeters close to plane as possible, however, I've seen many HT's where people mount the Center above the screen, and angle it down towards the listeners and it worked fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffD2.
Hope you have recliners for viewing the screen. ;)
You touched on a sore spot with me. :mad: Before we moved in the kitchen was part of the remodel and my wife had the cabinet guys make a new fireplace mantle with a matching finish (the back of this room opens up to the kitchen). When she mentioned it, it sounded like a good idea until they installed it......the new mantle was 18" taller than the one it replaced. That mantle has single handedly forced the placement of the TV higher than what I would like, forced my current speakers out the door and narrowed my new speaker options considerably.

I will be using a tilt mount but humor me here :confused: ....... I'm attempting to make the best of my situation.

Viewing height is the main reason I'm considering breaking the "same axis" methodology.

With the CC mounted below the center of the TV will be approx. 77" high. If mounted above I could drop that about 6.5"

Either is a compromise. Which is the lesser of the two?

If I do mount it above and tilt it down will the "off axis" be distracting or can I compensate when I set speaker levels? Since it is literally touch the ceiling, will I get any reflections off it?

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
147 Posts
Personally I wouldn't want the screen that high. I'd go for the TV as low as possible in this circumstance. Maybe no center at all would be the best option. Tilt the center as much as possible to help if you do use one.

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
First, if you have to put the speaker up that high, skip the center completely, it will just make the sound worse. Seriously.

Second, if you can, redo the mantle so you can move everything down. Just replace it with sheetrock and a little ledge or something for the center.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
The center below the screen would be best. I recommend using recliner's with an elevated screen. I have my screen elevated near my 7.5' ceiling since I prefer viewing while reclined.

Lowering your screen to just above the mantle and using no center also is an option to consider.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was under the impression the center channel was the most important speaker???

To clarify, are you guys suggesting I use the speakers from the TV for dialog or no CC at all? I have some floorstanding speakers that I love and because the CC won't fit I went with onwalls to find a center than was less than 6" tall and 5" deep so my front stage would match.

My wife loves the mantle so replacing it is a long shot. There's a 2% chance I can talk her into the possibility of carving out a 25"x5" area just under the ledge for the CC and hiding it behind some type of mesh that matches the mantle. This is still a long shot.

Please don't take my aversion to your ideas the wrong way. This is exactly why I posted here. I wanted and needed to hear options I personally would never have even considered.

Still not sold on "how" no center would sound better though :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Anyone else see problems with placing a screen and speaker above and to the sides of a wood burning fireplace? Heat issues, soot, etc?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W
Anyone else see problems with placing a screen and speaker above and to the sides of a wood burning fireplace? Heat issues, soot, etc?
I am with Kevin on this one. This would be my first priority.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Is there not a better place for the plasma? I'd look for another location.

If not, there are ways to use the onboard speakers as a center channel, but obviously that's not optimal.

·
Registered
161 Posts
keep the mantle.....put the center below and you will be fine....simple decesion.....good luck

·
Registered
14,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanin
I was under the impression the center channel was the most important speaker???
It is, it's also the speaker that will screw up everything if it's not good or is not placed well.
Quote:

To clarify, are you guys suggesting I use the speakers from the TV for dialog or no CC at all? I have some floorstanding speakers that I love and because the CC won't fit I went with onwalls to find a center than was less than 6" tall and 5" deep so my front stage would match.
Oops. Sorry, but oops.
Quote:

Still not sold on "how" no center would sound better though :rolleyes:
Because part of "sound better" is soundstage and imaging. How often do you hear someone's voice coming from 4 or 5' above you? Trust me, it will be more distracting and you'll always be aware of the speakers. Yes, the sweetspot is a little narrower, but if you can't put the speaker under the TV because it puts the TV up too high, then skip the center. Tons and tons of people use the "phantom" mode (no center) and it works *just fine*.

Besides, I bet your onwall speakers aren't nearly as good as your towers and they won't image well on the wall, so if you can return the on-walls speakers and have towers, go for it. At least you'll get some imaging and soundstaging. Music sure isn't going to be as satisfying with on-walls speakers

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tanin,

I'm sorry to hear the predicament you're in. I was in a similar one when we moved into our new house. The builder cut out an area above the fire place that was about 30" deep and 48" diagonal so you could put a tv in it. he also finished it with a nice brown/maple glossy wood with sliding doors for the TV area and for a little component area just below. This is all great except it makes the TV extremely high... not to mention not nearly big enough for the size of the living room (18'x16').

Since we didn't have a TV yet, we opted to get a projector and mounted a Draper Salara/M screen just above the fireplace... so we're not using the cabinet space at all. I think bought Polk Audio RC85i (front) and RC55i (rear) in-wall speakers and a Panasonic AE700u projector which I mounted to the ceiling in the back of the room. The end result is awesome... Don't know if you want to spend that kind of money, but if you want to put your current TV into your bedroom and go with a projector solution, this would solve the height issue since the screen can be made to have any size drop (ours is standard 12" drop before the actual screen material starts).

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Time
Lowering your screen to just above the mantle and using no center also is an option to consider.
Yes, the center channel is VERY important and doing without one would be a considerable sacrifice. However, it is a common option on modern receivers to set your speakers up without a center. It's just an option to consider that you MAY prefer to using a center below an elevated screen; this way you can lower your screen down to the mantle.

I would try the center on the mantle below the screen first. You may find you prefer your screen elevated like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Motionblurr, good suggestion unfortunately, not an option for this room. A projector would probably be a less expensive route but I’m attempting to make the audio/video aspect of this room as discrete as possible.

The suggestions here are exactly what I didn’t want to hear but already knew. “ I need to keep the screen down as low as possible and the center channel on axis with the L & R.â€

Going w/o a center isn't something I want to do. As 1Time said it "would be a considerable sacrafice" and I'm not there yet.

My layout is based on BA P442’s but I haven’t ordered them yet. I have some old satellite speakers that I should be able to attach to the wall for a general idea what the acoustics will be. That may give me my answer whether to go above, below or no center.

I should probably set-up my towers as Alimentall suggested and see how they sound without a center.

Thanks for the ideas.

ps. As for heat and smoke damage from a wood-burning fireplace………Not a major concern for a few reasons: It’s a gas fireplace with faux logs. We might burn wood in our living room fireplace but in S. CA it’s rarely lit for heat.

My TV probably has a better chance of smoke and heat damage from a brush fire.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Unfortunately when trying incorporate an HT system into a living space, compromises must be made. Often conventional or ideal setup options just aren't going to happen, believe me, I've been experimenting for almost six months now.

My center channel is at the TV level while my mains and surrounds are about 3 ft higher near the ceiling in my *acoustically challenged* living room. I believe with proper calibration and speaker placement, less than optimal speaker placement can be overcome or at least optimized. It takes a lot work and experimenting and hours of FR measurements. I would not go in wall as this eliminates all your placement options.

If you do go in wall, you could always move the mains upward some. Yes, they would not be at ear level, but perhaps you could shim them at a downward angle toward the LP. The grills would conceal the downward angle so they don't look strange.

My setup is here and I'm quite pleased with it. Perfect- no. A good comprimise- yes. And in your situation (and mine) its the best you can hope for.

PS- My FR chart has not been updated yet (in case you go there). Just by changing the positioning of the mains, I have resolved a 10dB dip across the 100-125Hz range. Couldn't have accomplished that with in walls.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Is there any chance at all of rearranging everything and moving the screen and speakers to a different wall?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.