AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come HDTV has no Closed Captioning? Is it in the ATSC standard and no one is using it? Does any experts know anything about this?

I would think with the prevalence of CC in NTSC that it would have been included in the ATSC spec.

Rick

·
Registered
973 Posts
If your station is not doing CC it is either having a tech problem or they don't have the encoder to add CC info to the bit stream of the digital station. Some of the local stations where I leave are doing CC but other don't have encoders yet. Contact your stations and ask to talk to the chief engineer

·
Registered
983 Posts
There are two issues with Closed Captioning in digital television (and yes, it is included in the ATSC standard - though it was added later).

First, since network distribution if captions is not yet implemented, stations must monitor the SD captions, run them through a standards convertor (EIA608 NTSC captions to EIA708 DTV captions) and feed it to the ATSC encoder. Yet another piece of equipment many did not know they had to budget for. This is how we get captions on our HD programs and we are the only local station with them. (Our particular SD encoders do this internally since DTV captions are backwards compatible, but this is not the norm.)

Second, not all tuners/decoders have caption capability. Since the caption standard was still being developed when the first generation decoders were being designed the feature was not included.

------------------

Visit http://pub1.ezboard.com/fdigitaltele...isionnewsforum for news and information on DTV and HDTV

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Wood:
Second, not all tuners/decoders have caption capability. Since the caption standard was still being developed when the first generation decoders were being designed the feature was not included.

Great post. I suspect the RCA DTC-100 is one of these decoders without HDTV CC since they go out of their way to label what CC it has as "Analog closed captioning."

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
The DTC-100 does do DTV CC. I've seen it on my local DTV stations. The original Panasonic STB does them also.

------------------

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by highwire:
I suspect the RCA DTC-100 is one of these decoders without HDTV CC
My DCT-100 displays closed captioning from WCBS-DT in NYC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.