AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tend to like Panasonic, and as such I've been keeping up with their line of products quite well. But a friend was looking for a Sony DVD player, and I know little about them.

Is the 999ES Sony's best player for reasonable price? In direct comparison for PQ, how does it rate against the rp82? The fact that it has the cbug is brutal; does it make up for that by drastically outperforming a player like the rp82 in other areas?

How about other Sony players. What else is out there (

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe I'll be more inflamatory to incite some response.. Here goes.

Sony DVD players all suck. They all have far inferior PQ to the Panny units, esspecially the incredibly-priced rp82. I don't know who in their right mind would buy a Sony.

C'mon Sony fans, where are you all?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read it. I'm pretty familiar with the 999ES now. Was wondering about other models also though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Quote:
But a friend was looking for a Sony DVD player, and I know little about them.
If he is truly your friend than you should steer him away from Sony. They make many great products, but there current DVD players are not the best choice for picture quality. The RP-82 is a no brainer; it is hard to find any player that out-performs it anywhere near it's pricing point.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks... That is what I thought also. I was actually hoping that some Sony fans would step up though. He wants a Sony because he gets them at below cost or something, and was interested in what Sony had to offer. He's always been loyal to Sony...

But if the 999es for an unbelievable $1100 can not DRASTICALLY outperform the lowly $200 RP82, then Sony is just plain not in the running. I assume the comparatively priced DVPNS400D, DVPNS755V, DVPNC655PS, VPNC655PB will not match up well either. Is the 755 the only one that does SACD? Seems like a guy may as well get the RP82 or CP72 and then you get DVD-A on top of excellent video for nothing. Looks like you were right about the no brainer...

To confirm, has anyone done direct comparisons of the 755 vs the rp82?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.