AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wached Transformers on my brand new A3 that i got from VE and its my very first experience with HD DVD. loving it so far.

Seemed that Transformers really didnt have much bass in it.

the Ironman trailer literally rocked the house cause i had to turn up my reciever so much during the Transformers. i had left it at the same volume level and when ironman started, it made me jump for the remote.

ive got a kenwood rxv1400 reciever. ive got hdmi to tv and optical to reciever. i set the reciever to DTS.

is this normal?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont get it

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I don't see that model listed on Kenwood's website. What is the player outputting via the optical. It should be set to Bitrate I believe. I had no lack of bass on my setup but mine is setup via HDMI, shouldn't matter though.

·
Banned
443 Posts
I got yet another complaint to complex management from the downstairs neighbor after watching it running no sub and a 20 year old pair of infinity RS4000's

Not lacking bass here.

·
Registered
601 Posts
There is definitely something not right with the audio OUTPUT on Transformers. Even the DVD sounds muted, so it's not a transcoding/setup issue.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumbo /forum/post/11951282

There is definitely something not right with the audio OUTPUT on Transformers. Even the DVD sounds muted, so it's not a transcoding/setup issue.

Right, that's why every review gave it top scores for audio

·
Premium Member
11,619 Posts
No bass issues at all here. The infrasonics are incredible at times, but I think the might of your sub will determine how much of those you'll get. I have four subs in my theater room which amounts to almost 2000 watts of power and 6 12" drivers. So I don't think I'm the norm.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering /forum/post/11951354

No bass issues at all here. The infrasonics are incredible at times, but I think the might of your sub will determine how much of those you'll get. I have four subs in my theater room which amounts to almost 2000 watts of power and 6 12" drivers. So I don't think I'm the norm.

NICE
, I guess if there were bass issues you would know as well as anybody

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
I have one sub rated at only 500 watts RMS, albeit in a smaller room, and the bass can often be thunderous during intense action sequences. I have no bass issues at all with this track in my normal setup.

For reference, I'm using HDMI from a Toshiba HD-A2.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I didn't notice a ton of bass on the scenes I previewed, but then again I don't like stuff to be boomy just for the sake of being boomy.

Maybe it's worth asking how everyone is decoding. I'm sending decoded multi-channel PCM from the A20 to my receiver.

I assume many others here are using analog 5.1 outs. Maybe that's the difference?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
No probms with bass. On main system I have a def tech 15" (low bass) and two mirage 8" (mid bass) via anolog with X-merdian. Another system just has a 15" def tech with X-plosion SPDIF and the bass was fine also.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Bass seemed cool to me on my A1 over 5.1 Analogs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
im using an old kenwood htib and to me it seems like unless an hddvd has true hd, it doesnt sound as good as my dvds used to. i remember watching hot fuzz and being disappointed with the lack of "oomph" during the big shootout.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn69 /forum/post/11951625

im using an old kenwood htib and to me it seems like unless an hddvd has true hd, it doesnt sound as good as my dvds used to. i remember watching hot fuzz and being disappointed with the lack of "oomph" during the big shootout.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, you're kidding right?? of all the movies to choose Hot fuzz had one of the most thunderous bass tracks that I've heard yet. the shotgun blasts from Pegg and frost in the shootout was absolutely insane beyond belief.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Yeah, if Hot Fuzz didn't have enough bass for you, then you might want to consider re-calibrating your system. The shootout scenes practically caved my chest in.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts