AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper /forum/post/11951838

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, you're kidding right?? of all the movies to choose Hot fuzz had one of the most thunderous bass tracks that I've heard yet. the shotgun blasts from Pegg and frost in the shootout was absolutely insane beyond belief.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 /forum/post/11951865

Yeah, if Hot Fuzz didn't have enough bass for you, then you might want to consider re-calibrating your system. The shootout scenes practically caved my chest in.

I am going to have to agree with the above. I have an old Kenwood HTIB as well and an old 12in car sub with box and watching Hot Fuzz it cut my reciever so many times I had to turn the base down to -2 or -3.

I would definitly have to take a look at the sub settings. Is the sub

connected? sorry had to ask.

On another note with my original HTIB sub I didnt hear much bass either. If I were you I would invest in a sub. I am sure there are some cheap subs around. You will not be dissapointed.

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
Definition of BASS

1) 300

2) Patriot

3) Air Force One

4) Face/Off

5) SM3

When it comes to DD+ we are forced to crank up the volume levels to exorbitant levels. It would be better if Toshiba provides a pre-out volume knob via firmware upgrade.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i dont mean to just single out the bass. i mean the audio in general. i have to turn up the volume more for hds than i had to with sds. and yes the sub is turned on lol. and like i said this only applies for non truehd movies. everything else sounds good. i dont know if ive had problems with dts on hds. i think its just the dd+

·
Registered
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumbo /forum/post/11951282

There is definitely something not right with the audio OUTPUT on Transformers. Even the DVD sounds muted, so it's not a transcoding/setup issue.

Yep...its complete coincidence that nearly every single review of the HD DVD disc gives it 5/5 for audio....

Good grief.

·
Registered
52 Posts
LOL, not enough bass for you? There were times where I would feel the air coming out of the subwoofer port from across the room.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
for those that say sound is good, would getting a hdmi receiver help in my situation?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I watched this last night, and while I remember a bit more surround usage in the theater, the bass was basically non-stop. If someone watching this movie doesn't think theres any bass, there's seriously something wrong. I wasn't using HDMI either - A2, Yamaha RX-V2500 and Velodyne F1200 sub. Maybe the frequencies are lower than your sub can replicate? The rumble in my room never stopped, no exaggeration.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Same here. I had tons of bass while watching it. Especially the scene where IronHide jumps over the ladies head. That is a complete all bass shot, literally rumbles through the house.

·
Registered
7,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusticR6 /forum/post/11950888

Just wached Transformers on my brand new A3 that i got from VE and its my very first experience with HD DVD. loving it so far.

Seemed that Transformers really didnt have much bass in it.

the Ironman trailer literally rocked the house cause i had to turn up my reciever so much during the Transformers. i had left it at the same volume level and when ironman started, it made me jump for the remote.

ive got a kenwood rxv1400 reciever. ive got hdmi to tv and optical to reciever. i set the reciever to DTS.

is this normal?

Make sure the dynamic compression? is OFF from your A3.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I felt the audio was excellent on this title. I would say that the bass is NOT neccessarily room-shaking, but its tight, palpable, and pretty realistic. Boomy bass drives me nuts and IMO ruins the experience. Ya know, some poeple have the sub so cranked up that even when a skinny girl talks you get that subwoofer "whirr" and "grumble". YUK!

Tranmsformers has solid audio, but I dont think the dynamic range is as good as it would be with a TrueHD track or PCM. Thats my opinion on it....

·
Registered
634 Posts
The bass is extremely low, so low in fact that I believe some systems are not capable of bring out the bass properly.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Peddle /forum/post/11952915

The bass is extremely low, so low in fact that I believe some systems are not capable of bring out the bass properly.

I have 2 high end subs in my setup both capable of going below 20Hz, it's also a very small room I have no problem with bass. Transformers LFE is low compared to many other action movies. In fact it's even low compared to the Ironman trailer on the same disc!

·
Registered
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Peddle /forum/post/11952915

I have a kenwood HTIB from a few years a go I am starting to upgrade. I didn't find the bass intense either but I did feel a little rumble, where I know my sub... well starts to suck. I was going to put off upgrading the sub, but now I don't think that makes since anymore.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I thought the soundtrack was great overall.

The bass in the scene where ironhide slowmo dodges the rockets and flys over the girl in the blue dress was most impressive, almost as good as the bass in the server room scene at the end of Pulse.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffY /forum/post/11953174

I have 2 high end subs in my setup both capable of going below 20Hz, it's also a very small room I have no problem with bass. Transformers LFE is low compared to many other action movies. In fact it's even low compared to the Ironman trailer on the same disc!

So, maybe that is how the movie is mastered, especially since Ironman is booming? I don't have my copy yet but I've found that on almost all HD DVD's I have to turn the volume up above what I normally do for a SD. It doesn't matter to me since I have lots of reserve power. I have DNR and dialog enhancement turned off at the player. I just accept it as the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
It is mastered that way, it's probably more correct as well, I just wish the levels weren't all over the shop from movie to the other. You almost have to watch the movie first then write down what levels to use so you can have it right the next time you watch.

·
Registered
402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbat420 /forum/post/11951901

I am going to have to agree with the above. I have an old Kenwood HTIB as well and an old 12in car sub with box and watching Hot Fuzz it cut my reciever so many times I had to turn the base down to -2 or -3.

I would definitly have to take a look at the sub settings. Is the sub

connected? sorry had to ask.

On another note with my original HTIB sub I didnt hear much bass either. If I were you I would invest in a sub. I am sure there are some cheap subs around. You will not be dissapointed.

I have to take back what I said. I just watched the first scene and although there is a lot of bass it is not right. When the robot starts throwing 20-30-40 ton objects around and crashing into other big things you expect a thunderous boom but there was not one. But at the same time there is a booming bass line going the whole time.

I think this is what the OP is refering to. If not this is what I noticed from the first scene. Now I am going to go back and watch the movie

21 - 40 of 141 Posts