AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,023 Posts
In fact I ONLY have subs in my system. 4 on each wall.

I found that eliminating the pointlessly tedious dialog in many movies enhanced the experience and allowed me to focus on the visuals.

It also got rid of that dialog normalization crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
My HT system can rock the whole room and it's calibrated. I have a DIY sono tube sub 15driver w/Crown K2 amp, tons of power when I put in Transformers (seen in theater) I watched 10mins of the movie and stopped it thinking something was wrong with the sound (no bass)to the point that I'm taking it back for a exchange. You guys think we might have some bad disk. BTW my sub goes down to 16Hz.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey /forum/post/11952840


I felt the audio was excellent on this title. I would say that the bass is NOT neccessarily room-shaking, but its tight, palpable, and pretty realistic. Boomy bass drives me nuts and IMO ruins the experience. Ya know, some poeple have the sub so cranked up that even when a skinny girl talks you get that subwoofer "whirr" and "grumble". YUK!


Tranmsformers has solid audio, but I dont think the dynamic range is as good as it would be with a TrueHD track or PCM. Thats my opinion on it....


+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Peteg-thats exactly what i did. i dont know his name, but when the helicopter transformed and started shooting, my wife and i kind of looked at each other and said something not right. i got up and went to my sub to see if it was on. i backed up the movie and changed the reciever to DTS and it sounded slightly better. i just cranked up the level on my sub and raised the volume level on the reciever. i knew from reading these forums about the ironman trailer so i let it play. talk about a suprise difference.

ive got a Sony wx something. its got (2) 8 or 10 inch woofers. not sure what frequency it goes down to.

at least from reading this and the ironman trailer thread im not the only one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts
I had the exact same experience. I have a properly calibrated SVS PB12. When the movie rolled and the helicopter transformed and sent the shockwave out, I paused the movie and got up and checked to make sure the sub didn't get unplugged or something. Other parts of the movie sounded good. But when I watch most well mixed movies, my sub literally sucks the air out of the room.


I thought the surround mix was great, but thought the mix was really lacking on deep, low bass.


Reading the rest of this thread now I wonder what is wrong? My sub should go down to 16hz at high volume. I know in some parts of the movie it sounded ok, but usually I really notice. I really doubt it would be something like faulty disks would it? That doesn't make sense to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Peddle /forum/post/11952915


The bass is extremely low, so low in fact that I believe some systems are not capable of bring out the bass properly.

How about that blastwave at the beginning that the helicopter one puts out? Can someone verify what that should be doing? I thought that would rattle teeth but it didn't really do anything.


Do I need to tune my sub down to 12hz or something? If so, wow.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,418 Posts
Holycow I have to say this my favoret sound track so far, the bass was insane in my system. From the opening credit my living room was a rocking! I can't wait to checking thisa out during desent hours, don't want my neighboros to hate me !



Djoel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel /forum/post/11954002


Holycow I have to say this my favoret sound track so far, the bass was insane in my system. From the opening credit my living room was a rocking! I can't wait to checking thisa out during desent hours, don't want my neighboros to hate me !



Djoel


Maybe it depends on how the bass is implemented in the system? I have my crossover set at 80, would it be that if someone had it set at 120 or something they would get way more? I would think that would sound horribly muddy but I don't know.


I'm just so confused. The part someone referred to above where the one dodged the rockets in slow mo sounded about right too, but I really didn't notice any low bass until at LEAST the scorpion battle in that little ramshackeled village. The first 30 min I really thought my sub was off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
I'm taking mine back to exchange for another one, you just don't know.

Other HD DVD sound fine but I did just upgrade my firmware to 2.5 (XA2).


Also if the new disk is the same I'm going to bring down my A2 from from another

room and give that a try (different firmware).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusticR6 /forum/post/11950888


Just wached Transformers on my brand new A3 that i got from VE and its my very first experience with HD DVD. loving it so far.


Seemed that Transformers really didnt have much bass in it.

the Ironman trailer literally rocked the house cause i had to turn up my reciever so much during the Transformers. i had left it at the same volume level and when ironman started, it made me jump for the remote.


ive got a kenwood rxv1400 reciever. ive got hdmi to tv and optical to reciever. i set the reciever to DTS.


is this normal?

Some trailers are VERY LOUD! It's quite possible you've got a very little understanding because I have a few trailers that sound VERY LOUD! And need to be turned down because there trying to sale you a product in your face so to speak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/11954131


Some trailers are VERY LOUD! It's quite possible you've got a very little understanding because I have a few trailers that sound VERY LOUD! And need to be turned down because there trying to sale you a product in your face so to speak.

If this were the case, the movies I watch would sound on par with transformers too. But any other HD media I watch (well most anyway) just kicks out the low, undistorted bass out of my sub. I didn't get much of anything on Transformers. I'd love for this to be an issue with my setup but if it is why does everything else sound fine? It can't possibly be sub 12hz bass can it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,369 Posts
No problem with bass here with one ML Depth i compressing almost 3000 sq.ft. room at normal volume levels. Only reason I can think of if some users are not feeling the bass is either the sub is not able to keep up or the processor section is screwing with LFE or maybe some other reason that I am not aware of. The surround usage was not as prevelant as bass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
Is this for real? I knocked a picture off the wall.


If you are serious you need to calibrate your system and possibly get a new sub. As stated earlier the bass went pretty low. Probably too low for a $199 sub.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrader /forum/post/11954059


Maybe it depends on how the bass is implemented in the system? I have my crossover set at 80, would it be that if someone had it set at 120 or something they would get way more? I would think that would sound horribly muddy but I don't know.


I'm just so confused. The part someone referred to above where the one dodged the rockets in slow mo sounded about right too, but I really didn't notice any low bass until at LEAST the scorpion battle in that little ramshackeled village. The first 30 min I really thought my sub was off.



I have my sub dialed at 80 as well, and my mains set at 50 Hz taking care all of the highs ..What I did notice ever since my new pre/pro I've been getting enormous amount of bass
...


No lie when the boy from dreamworks starts fishing you hear a electronic hum sound with plenty of low energy....I was like wow!


What kinda sub you have ?


Djoel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand /forum/post/11954647


Is this for real? I knocked a picture off the wall.


If you are serious you need to calibrate your system and possibly get a new sub. As stated earlier the bass went pretty low. Probably too low for a $199 sub.

Like I said, properly calibrated SVS PB12. It was a little more than 199



This was with the A1 player. Maybe the issue is player specific? Since I'm doing PCM out the player is doing the decoding, maybe its screwing something up?


Honestly I'm a noob in some areas, but I love my bass. Something was definately up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts
If some of you who felt the bass was lacking could report which model of HD DVD player you were using, perhaps it would give us a clue. Mine was HD-A1, bass DEFINATELY lacking. Could it be possible that the decoding in my player is doing being done correctly? This is the only thing I can think of.


This has me so whipped into a frenzy I'm going to go home at noon, check my sub frequency settings, and try again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I had the same reaction as a few others here after about 5 minutes into the movie -- I got up and checked to see if my sub and bass-shaker amp was on.


The Aura bass shakers and my subwoofer were both telling me the same thing: this movie's bass output is low. But with all of the 5/5 AQ ratings, and the happy customers in this thread, I don't know what to make of it.


I'm anxious to hear PeteG's results with different players/firmware.


FWIW, I'm using an XA2 via 5.1 analog outputs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrader /forum/post/11954911


Like I said, properly calibrated SVS PB12. It was a little more than 199



This was with the A1 player. Maybe the issue is player specific? Since I'm doing PCM out the player is doing the decoding, maybe its screwing something up?


Honestly I'm a noob in some areas, but I love my bass. Something was definately up.




I have a HD A1 as well set to PMC, your SVS doesn't seem to be the problem if you're not having this issue with other HD titles either



I believe the culprit my be your copy of Transformer



See if you can exchange it for another copy...Sorry it a fun movie with great Sq, and you shouldn't be going through this..


What firm ware you have on your HD A1 ?



DJoel
 
41 - 60 of 141 Posts
Top