AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frockc /forum/post/11956901

I experienced the same lack of LFE... I have a JL fathom 113 in a 2000-2500 sealed basement and the sub usually rocks the house... i'm using a XA2 going hdmi to an integra 9.8... I just didn't get the wow bass i expected... i thought the sound was very good but just don't get how everyone else seems to have it brining down the house... i had it on -5MV...

Thank god some other people are confirming this, I thought I was losing my mind. I have my AVR set at -5 and my SVS at about 55 %. Usually this is more DB than reccommended. I can't believe the mix would be different on different disks, but what else could it be?

When I get home I'm going to try it with the SD transformers disk. The sound mix would be the same, correct?

·
Registered
4,968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrader /forum/post/11956960

Thank god some other people are confirming this, I thought I was losing my mind. I have my AVR set at -5 and my SVS at about 55 %. Usually this is more DB than reccommended. I can't believe the mix would be different on different disks, but what else could it be?

When I get home I'm going to try it with the SD transformers disk. The sound mix would be the same, correct?

the mix is the same. I got a hold of the DVD early and was very disappointed in the mix. Just no wow factor like the theater, and my sub can handle wow just fine. I was shaking the walls with lots of movies the day before. I had to pop in another DVD afterwards just to make sure my settings were still fine in the AVR or something. the HD DVD's mix is the same mix with a bit "richer" sound. It's definitely a bit better and the bass is improved a little, but it is still rather disappointing.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I am using the analog outs of my HD-A1 and the bass is stellar. It took awhile to get the HD-A1 calibrated having to hand tweek all the settings to get it right but once dialed in there is no issue with bass at all. The bass on Transformers, Face/Off and Hot Fuzz, all DD+ tracks, are OUTSTANDING.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Personally I'm thinking this is a perception thing.

So many soundtracks are so juiced up that pistols sound like howitzers.

I thought that Transformers had nice sound design.

If anything the upper-mid to high-end was a bit thin to me.

The bass was fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm running the 360 Add-on with through a cheap Pioneer receiver (via WMA), with some very budget Kenwood speakers and sub, and the bass response when I'm watching is phenomenal. Can feel every step the Transformers take. And compared to some movies I've listened too, the bass is much tighter for this film.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I picked up a different disk at a different store, my wife and I put the new disk in and within seconds we knew the bass was back and the room was shaking again.

The funny part is the analog outs of my

XA2 (FW 2.5) sounded the same as the first disk? Don't know what the hell is going on

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/11955813

I would venture a guess that since there is not one thread about the low end / LFE in the SUBWOOFER forum, that the bass is likely very good...but far from the best.

Go throw in War of the Worlds, then your receiver up to '0' for a bass fanatic's wet dream!

EDIT: There were some War of the Worlds threads where folks blew up, bottomed out or otherwise stressed their subs to bad outcomes. There were a few threads in the subwoofer forum as this soundtrack is one of the top LFE tracks around..

Exactly, overcooked. I prefer Transformers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
No problems with the bass on my A2. I even had things dialed down just a bit so as not to piss off the neighbors too much and my whole room was shaking. Knocked some books right off the table.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru /forum/post/11955976

Where's the BASS???

Jeez... the opening scene where the Helicopter transforms and sends a pulse wave through the ground almost shook the bricks out of my fireplace!

XA1, FW Version 2.3

i was expecting the same thing from this scene but whe it actually happened i thought "thats it?"

·
Registered
4,968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashnburn69 /forum/post/11958488

i was expecting the same thing from this scene but whe it actually happened i thought "thats it?"

ditto, I remember what it sounded like in the theater. I could hear that shockwave outside of the theater room in the hallway of the theater building actually. It was very eh... in my own room. This is the room that nearly exploded during the Hot Fuzz gunfight. Honestly from my theater experience that "hit in the chest" feeling was what I was expecting. I'm gonna try returning it for another copy.

·
Registered
601 Posts
DRC off.

Reviews which are subjective are meaningless with first hand results.

Let's just leave it at we disagree on the sound.

Myself and many others discovered that the reviews don't match our results.

SIMPLE.

I question the credibility of the reviews frankly.

Put it this way - I watched the HD with 5 others. A few praised the sound probably because they haven't heard any better. It's relative. I thought it sounded bland, and subdued.

Referring to 'un-calibrated' reviews is poor logic.

NOW, WE ARE ASSUMING that all copies are from the same master.

·
Registered
570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper /forum/post/11958526

ditto, I remember what it sounded like in the theater. I could hear that shockwave outside of the theater room in the hallway of the theater building actually. It was very eh... in my own room. This is the room that nearly exploded during the Hot Fuzz gunfight. Honestly from my theater experience that "hit in the chest" feeling was what I was expecting. I'm gonna try returning it for another copy.

lemme know how that works out for you. come to think of it, i only watched it once on the 16th when i got it. i too, rememer that part with the first shockwave not shocking me much at all. iirc, after that moment, i upped the sub level on my receiver. then all seemed well? thanks.

p.s. i'll have to watch again tonight...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Although I liked the LFE a lot I remember being disappointed in this scene as well. And I had the HD trailer recorded from HDNet that had the same scene with much more punch. I wonder what happened.

·
Registered
402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrader /forum/post/11953894

I had the exact same experience. I have a properly calibrated SVS PB12. When the movie rolled and the helicopter transformed and sent the shockwave out, I paused the movie and got up and checked to make sure the sub didn't get unplugged or something. Other parts of the movie sounded good. But when I watch most well mixed movies, my sub literally sucks the air out of the room.

I thought the surround mix was great, but thought the mix was really lacking on deep, low bass.

Reading the rest of this thread now I wonder what is wrong? My sub should go down to 16hz at high volume. I know in some parts of the movie it sounded ok, but usually I really notice. I really doubt it would be something like faulty disks would it? That doesn't make sense to me.

EVERYONE!

I think this is what the OP ment. This is what I was trying to say. When the shockwave hits I was expecting to have my power go out in my house because of the power req.

The bass seems like it hits more on key with the rest of the movie later on but this scene(especialy the OPENING scene!!!) to have the *Explosions* muted like that is somewhat of a dissapointment.

Maybe they put the explosions for that scene in ULF not LFE LoL

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have to agree with you guys about the bass not giving the wow factor. I had the same problem with the first scene where he was stomping and sending out those energy fields. There was basically no bass at all when he was doing that. It seems like in every action scene there is a low bass line in the background and when an explosion or big thud happens you expect to hear a big blast from your LFE but you don't hear it. Or at least I don't and some others on the thread feel the same. And I agree the iron man trailor was very active with LFE. Don't get me wrong i think Transformers has great sound quality over all but I don't get those huge bone rattling bass hits when i expect to get one.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just previewed some scenes from the movie. Great low fq action, shook my little room.

81 - 100 of 141 Posts