AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe how unsuccessful BHD was, in the box office and at home.

Perhaps it is too early to show the soldiers die a gruesome death, considering it took place in 93'. I however thought it was great, I am so relived it left out the "touchy, feely brotherhood" speeches. The movie is relentless, 150 minutes of firefighting for their lives.

If Spielberg gets a re-release for Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk down should get one also! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK it's a story that needed to be told, but this movie should have been an hour long to do it. The rest was just over kill. It's a movie you watch once and you're done with it. There's little need to watch it again.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Didn't see it in the theater but rented it on DVD last month - awesome flick! It really puts you in the center of that conflict. Haven't bought the DVD, only because I'm going to wait it out and see if they release a SE next year.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by the_GeForce
I can't believe how unsuccessful BHD was, in the box office and at home....
Not sure what you mean by unsuccessful at the box office. :confused: It passed the coveted magic blockbuster $100,000,000 mark for the US market at nearly $109,000,000.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Ummm... yeah... too long. I think it was about 15 hours too short to the guys who experienced this. If you only have an hour to spare to know what happened, flip around the internet or watch a documentary. If you want an incredibly hair-raising and gruesome portrayal of a modern military disaster, watch this movie. They cut out a lot of what happened as it was at 2.5 hours.

M

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm probably in the minority, but I felt that it needed to be a better directed and edited movie with a longer cut. The cuts and changes (especially those that were obviously designed to make it "engaging" or "exciting" while blatantly lying about characters or situations) made from the book to the movie made it less enjoyable for me. The book is far superior to the screen adaptation, IMO.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've watched it a couple times and liked it, but I get so pissed off at our government it takes the enjoyment out of it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I thought it was an excellent military movie. I know this is probably heresy, but I thought it was a better movie than SPR. I guess to me BHD seemed more like being in the middle of a hair raising documentary, where as SPR seemed like more of your typical war movie character formula, after the initial D-Day landing. Don't get me wrong, I love SPR, but BHD had more of an impact on me.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
It's a good movie... but its not great, and has little re-view pull to it. You watch it and you're done with it. I think it's because it has little to say in the big scheme of things. Its a tragic event in an area of the world that few people have any attachment to. Unlike the World War II and Vietnam movies.

I have BHD on DVD, I think I've put it in twice.

My 2c

- Rick

·
Registered
208 Posts
I think that people don't really respond to the film since its positioned as an 'Americans as the Underdogs' kind of thing, but then potrays the power with which even a small number of US soldiers can act, and a lot of people left not feeling very patriotic, more like butchers.

Not that I agree with the notion, but a lot of people that i know came away with the attitude: what, we lost 7 men while wiping out upwards of 1,000? Poor us. That might be why there is such little lasting love for the film.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Quote:
I am so relived it left out the "touchy, feely brotherhood" speeches.
That's why it wasn't more popular in my opinion. From a technical standpoint you really feel like you have been in the midst of battle.

OTOH I learned nothing of the characters, can't remember anyone's name, and hence found it emotionally uninvolving.

Great film for a tactics class though.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
I enjoyed it quite a lot. And despite what some person said here, I will watch it again.

It also makes me shake my head in a "pathetic" manner at the u.s gov't & military but hey, that is another subject that doesn't need to be talked about here.

anyway, IMO, a good movie and a really good dvd.

·
Registered
550 Posts
i really liked BHD too.

from a technical standpoint, it's impressive. i don't know how much of it is accurate (from what i hear it's quite accurate), but it FEELS accurate, and from a movie point it's just as good or even more important. some might say that with subject matter as important as this, that style should take a back seat over substance, but i think Scott did an excellent job.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I've watched it 4 times, I love the LFE and surround effects.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I saw it at the theater and have never wanted to rent the DVD, much less own it. It's a great piece of filmmaking, don't get me wrong, and I reviewed it in this thread and published a first person account later in the same thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...k&pagenumber=2

The main flaws are:

1) The Ranger's proud boast "Everyone Comes Back" - but my most searing memory from the TV news is of the mutilated bodies of American soldiers being dragged through the streets - it was practically the only video shown for days on end. It happened - why wasn't it in the film?

2) America quickly withdrew from Somalia after this incident, for the sake of President Clinton's job approval rating, and the place remains a cesspool of Muslim extremists - maybe the biggest collection of such since we bombed Afghanistan back to the stone age. For what purpose was the battle fought?

3) The lopsided death toll absolutely drive home the point that effective armed helicopters with air-to-ground rockets and miniguns and highly trained elite Ranger and Delta troops are more than a match for untrained Somali militia with small arms and unguided RPGs. The same lesson we learned in Vietnam, with basicly the same result - we soon thereafter abandoned Mogadishu to the warlords just as we abandoned Vietnam to the Communists.

We had the weapons and the brave men, we lacked the political resolve to carry through to a conclusive ending. The only problem with the Battle of Mogadishu is it is clearly another failure of our nation's leadership.

The movie is an intense and realistic portrayal of a modern battlefield. Although the story is by and large historically accurate, the overlaying lesson is lost because of the important things they left out: Clinton's lack of resolve, and the mistreatment of American dead. It is a powerfull but flawed film.

Gary

·
Registered
174 Posts
It was like watching Starship Troopers with the bugs replaced by scary black people. Racist crap.

All action with no dynamic relation between attacker and victim, no plot background and no charachter develoment whatsoever.

By far the worst war movie I have ever seen. It may be technically correct but that does not a good movie make.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
check the japanese dts edition.... superior.

but I miss the "you're in there" power of Saving private (and the sound too! live ammo sound used, not for BHD). don't like either the color filtering used by Ridley, it's not natural.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dinn, how can you say this is racist crap. This is based on an historical fact. Hey, the people in Mogadishu could have been green, but in fact they were black, ITS IN AFRICA! As far as being scary, yeah thousands of people, armed and high on the local drug, wanting to kill you, is scary. Look these weren't nice people, Adid was starving hundreds of thousands in his own country, but don't twist the movie to be a reflection on all black people. I just can't believe your comment, probably the most ignorant one I have yet seen on this forum.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.