AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about this new sub in posts dated July '03, but haven't seen it yet on SVS's web site.

Are they still coming out with this monster? If so, when? And, how much?

·
Registered
565 Posts
What is the difference between the new Ultra and the regular PB2+? Is it only the wood design or is their any power/driver upgrades to it? I can't see SVS charging an extra $800.00 for just wood.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well hence the name the PB2 Ultra will have the Ultra drivers and not the "+" drivers. And a slight bump in RMS wattage on the amp.

Joel

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
Hi eulogytool,

Well, the difference between the PC+ and the Ultra drivers is more or less about 1-1.5db difference.Its all about getting that last extra bit of performance.Figure the two improved drivers and you'll achieve some nice headroom capabilities.Remember that a 2-3 db difference in clean output could mean the difference between clacking the VC against the backplate, or playing dynamic passages without strain.

Based on this, I'll guess that the Ultra variation has a 2.5-3.5 db increase across the board, but you'll have to double check with Tom/Ron to be absolutely sure.The PB2+ is already a potent performer, however the Ultra version will give you that last degree of firepower.

Amp wise, I'm guessing of around 400 watts of extra clean power available, compared to the PB2+.All in all, a very potent performer that looks great as well.Still, from a price/performance criterion, the PB2 Ultra should still easily outperform offerings at 2-3 times that price.Strickly in terms of output, I can't quite imagine what subwoofers can compete, other than top $$$ Krell and Wilson offerings.Thats a big complement to SVS.:)

As the PB2+ is getting improvements, I don't doubt that the B4+ will also get that extra improvement with Ultra drivers.I'm looking forward to the (hopefully) revised B4+ using the Ultra drivers, but thats just my thoughts lingering on more than it should.B4 Ultra would sound great though.

Regards

·
Registered
607 Posts
Quote:
Amp wise, I'm guessing of around 400 watts of extra clean power available, compared to the PB2+.
I heard the PB2 Ultra has about 1000watts RMS and the PB2+ has 900watts RMS. I don't think the PB2 Ultra will have 1300 watts like you're guessing. I could be totally wrong on this one. But I remember hearing that the Ultra drivers sweet spot is 450-500 watts RMS.

Joel

·
Registered
692 Posts
Power might be mildly up, but with a solid 450-500 per driver now it's not like that amp is lacking juice.

Besides the choice of wood stains, and the Ultra drivers you'll hopefully be able to count on a slick parametric EQ built in too. We're not comitted to that feature set yet but that's the plan, if it's ready for production we'll include it.

Ron

SVS

·
Registered
607 Posts
Quote:
you'll hopefully be able to count on a slick parametric EQ built in too
Now we are seeing some differences. :) Hope you guys decide to go this route.

Joel

·
Registered
337 Posts
"hopefully be able to count on a slick parametric EQ built in too"

I think I just drooled on myself...

·
Registered
565 Posts
Thanks for the info Goneten!! I was all set to buy the PB2+ but now I think I might hold off for the Ultra. I am still kinda looking at the Earthquake MKIV-15 but I will probablly go for the Ultra when it comes out.

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
Quote:
I am still kinda looking at the Earthquake MKIV-15
IMO, just forget about it:).The Earthquake is a good subwoofer, but in terms of clean output, its really low on fuel.I've never personally heard an SVS subwoofer, but I trust that the hundreds of owners really speak towards the quality and performance of the units.

Again, please just make sure that my estimates are indeed correct, by asking Tom or Ron.

Ron, yeah 400 watts is still enough for the Ultra drivers to soak up.Do you plan on releasing any PB2-Ultra passive units, or is it just powered for now?

Regards

·
Registered
692 Posts
Goneten,

Well, let's just say that 450 watts/woofer is quite conservative ;^)

No immediate plans to introduce that sub as a passive model but if the demand is there (as it clearly has been for the passive B4-Plus, far greater than we expected) we mght be convinced to plan for that.

PS Sooner or later we have to fix that "I've never personally heard an SVS..." issue ;^)

Ron

SVS

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
Ron, I've been building subwoofers for around 6 years now, but thanks for the inititive.I own two tempest sonutubes, a single shiva for my computer room, and an additional duel tempest sealed box design.In another room, I built a ported HE15 subwoofer, so I'm more than happy at present.

Even though I have not heard your design, I believe that its not too dissimilair to my ported Tempest sonutubes.In other words, quite sensational.I like to encourage members here to give your gem a try, based on the impeccable customer service, and the technical performance that is achieved.So you could call me an SVS motivater if you will.:)

I've built some nice ported boxes, but my friends had the courtesy of snatching them from me.:) I'm planning on fulfulling my ultimate subwoofer dream, by installing an 8 AV15 IB setup.I've built and installed a number of IB setups to friends and colleges, and they are quite happy.In fact, there is a member here that I personally installed a 4 Tempest IB.Some of my clients have asked about SVS subwoofers, and I have actually turned down their inclination in purchasing some well known commerical designs, for a chance at your subwoofers.I have a younger brother that really wants to buy your PB2+, so soon you'll hear from him by email.

In the future, I wouldn't mind purchasing a pair of your subs myself, either for additional rooms, or for my girl friend(who knows:)).Either PB2-Ultra's or somewhere in that vicinity.I'm glad to help out if I can, but your subwoofers are seriously good value for money, considering the dedicated DIY'er that I am.It makes more sense for first time DIY'ers to just purchase a design that is almost without equal in a cost/performance criterion, but thats exactly how I consider your mid-range units.Now what about that hypothetical B4 Ultra....

Regards

·
Registered
692 Posts
Goneten,

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed it sounds like you are well covered in the bass department. It seems we get more and more questions from SA so maybe your opinions are already taking root.

It's great to know home theater is really getting attention in your corner of the globe (Africa is one of the few places I haven't had occasion to visit in my 20 years with the US Army, that's something "I" have to remedy some day! ;^).

Ron
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, where is the PB2-Ultra? I see it's now listed as available yet on SVS's website. Also, any word on them building a "non-powered" PB2-Ultra?

Thanks for any updates!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My post above should read "I see it's NOT listed as available yet....."

Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.