AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recorded "Dancing W/T/Stars and started burning them to Disc.

I burned 2 DVD+R DL's, 1 Verbatim DVD-R Glossy hub printable, then put in another Verb Glossy and the Pio went through all (10 Minutes) and at the end, a message popped up saying, "Cannot complete Copy on disc!

Sooooo, I put another blank Verb Printable Glossy in and it did the SAME thing! (2 coasters)?

Me thinking, OH NO-------put a Maxell Plus, Printable in, to copy the same Titles, YAY, it worked.

What the heck happened?????? I already copied to 1 Verb Glossy OK?

Then 2 in a row did not take?

Anyone else here ever have that happen?????

Urlee (wiping her forehead)

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Maybe because it was because you were dubbing Dancing w/t Stars...Just Kidding.

It's not unusual to encounter two or more marginal discs in a row in a spindle pack because they are likely coming right off the same assembly line and whatever manufacturing glitch that caused the disc to be marginal may have affected more than one disc. I encountered this issue with re-writeable discs (dvd-rw) in spindles.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari /forum/post/0

It's not unusual to encounter two or more marginal discs in a row in a spindle pack because they are likely coming right off the same assembly line and whatever manufacturing glitch that caused the disc to be marginal may have affected more than one disc. I encountered this issue with re-writeable discs (dvd-rw) in spindles.

In other words, it WAS the discs and NOT my DVR?

I didn't try another Verb for fear of wasting it in case they work on my computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari /forum/post/0

Maybe because it was because you were dubbing Dancing w/t Stars...Just Kidding.

You NEVER know!

Urlee

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
If you're computer has a DVD drive that reports raw error rates and software (such as Nero) that can report on disc quality you may want to try testing the successful and failed Verbatims to see how they burned. If you do have a bad batch the one that burned successfully may actually be marginal (ie, almost, but not quite failed).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson /forum/post/0

If you're computer has a DVD drive that reports raw error rates and software (such as Nero) that can report on disc quality you may want to try testing the successful and failed Verbatims to see how they burned. If you do have a bad batch the one that burned successfully may actually be marginal (ie, almost, but not quite failed).

Hi Sean,

I have Nero StartSmart/Express and just learned how to find the manufacturer but do not understand how or if I can test discs????

Urlee

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I don't use Nero personally (I use the PlexTools software that came with my Plextor DVD drive), so I'm afraid I can't give you any advice on it. Perhaps someone else reading this can contribute.

Not all DVD drives can report raw error rates, and if yours is not one of them then it's possible that the related functions in the Nero software are disabled. Do you know what model of DVD drive you have? To find out (assuming you're using Windows XP) you can:
  • Double-click your "My Computer" Icon
  • Right-click on the icon for your DVD drive and select "Properties"
  • Click the "Hardware" tab

You'll see a list of the drive types in your computer - you can tell which one is the DVD drive because it will have "DVD/CD ROM" in the right column.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson /forum/post/0

I don't use Nero personally (I use the PlexTools software that came with my Plextor DVD drive), so I'm afraid I can't give you any advice on it. Perhaps someone else reading this can contribute.

Not all DVD drives can report raw error rates, and if yours is not one of them then it's possible that the related functions in the Nero software are disabled. Do you know what model of DVD drive you have? To find out (assuming you're using Windows XP) you can:
  • Double-click your "My Computer" Icon
  • Right-click on the icon for your DVD drive and select "Properties"
  • Click the "Hardware" tab

You'll see a list of the drive types in your computer - you can tell which one is the DVD drive because it will have "DVD/CD ROM" in the right column.

Here she be Sean------

Urlee

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I did some poking around on Goggle, and while I didn't find anything I'd consider definitive from what could see it doesn't look like the NEC ND3500 drive can report the raw error rates. Among other things I found a long (34-page) thread on cdfreaks.com complaining about NEC not releasing firmware with this feature. If that's true, then I guess you're out of luck.

If anyone has one of these drives and can prove me wrong, please pipe up!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
If the message came up after several minute's worth of writing to the disc then it probably means the machine encountered the error while trying to finalize it. Regardless, the resulting disc is likely unplayable and unusable (unless it's an -RW or +RW disc, in which case you could try initializing it and re-burning).

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlee /forum/post/0

When the popup says copy can not be completed, actually what does that mean??

Does it mean it was burned but not recognized come time to play it?

Urlee

I had this happen with one Verb disc, my only coaster in hundreds burnt. It scared me too! I looked at the rec side of the disc, and could clearly see how far it had burnt (not very far), and that circle was surrounded by a sort of a jagged corona. I assume that is where it ran into problems with the disc. So, at least in my case, the burn failed well before fianlize.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I own an NEC ND 3500AG. With NEC Firmware it won't do any type of quality scan. The dangerous brothers have a Hacked Firmware that I think will allow quality scans. I have never tried it because my burner works great and I wasn't all that eager to take a chance at using unofficial firmware. I think I have read that NEC's aren't great quality scanners anyway.

I use my external USB Lite-On SHM165P6SX for Q-scans now.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc /forum/post/0

I had this happen with one Verb disc, my only coaster in hundreds burnt. It scared me too! I looked at the rec side of the disc, and could clearly see how far it had burnt (not very far), and that circle was surrounded by a sort of a jagged corona. I assume that is where it ran into problems with the disc. So, at least in my case, the burn failed well before fianlize.

Probably can't see anything here but this is mine.

It went throught the whole process (10 minutes) like always, then at the end, came the popup?

Urlee

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oooooops,

Forgot to ask-----Is it a bad thing to do, to have your computer speaker in front of a stack of burned disks?

Something about the magnetic field?

Urlee

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:

Oooooops,

Forgot to ask-----Is it a bad thing to do, to have your computer speaker in front of a stack of burned disks?

Something about the magnetic field?

Urlee

Nothing in DVDs is magnetic, so no problem.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts

Quote:

Is it a bad thing to do, to have your computer speaker in front of a stack of burned disks? Something about the magnetic field?

There are some flavours of optical disc technology (called "Magneto-optical") which use a laser and magnetic field to burn information onto the disk. These types of discs can be affected by a strong magnetic field (but probably not a computer speaker in it's enclosure).

However no DVD or CD disc uses this technology, so as wabjxo said, no worries.

But if you use Sony "Mini-discs" (a digital audio format from the 1990's), the caution applies.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you sooooo much for your replies.

I always cringe at the fact that I have my monitor, speakers, and 9" TV, all so close to each other and by my burned disks. Forgot to mention those too.

Urlee

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.