AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new 1080p tv.... i had the 70" jvc HD-70FH97, the 71" Samsung HL-S7178W and the Samsung 67" HL-S6767W in mind.... I have a blu-ray player(ps3) and i play alot of video games.... im looking for the best pq and size for the price. what would you guys reccomend?(any suggestions welcome)

Thanks

Brett

·
Registered
236 Posts
the Samsung 67" HL-S6767W

I'm looking at a 7178 for a friend of mine, I wonder if the internals are the same (as good as) those of the 6187 and 6188 models. Similarly, I'd wonder if the 6767 internals are as good as the xx87 and xx88 models - if they are it would save him a lot of hassle (and money) trying to find a 71" in a local store as I think a 67" would satisfy him (sadly, a 61" is too small...)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looking at the Samsung web page, te 6767 is a 1080p set. However, unless I missed something, I don't see where it can accept a 1080p signal via HDMI or component. Component is listed up to 1080i, and there is no mention for what the HDMI will take in.

In contrast, the Samsung web page clearly says the 7178 will accept a 1080p signal through both the HDMI and the component connections. Considering you have Blue Ray through a PS3, this might be something you would want.

While I can't compare the TVs you mentioned, I ended up purchasing the 7178 last Saturday. I was comparing it to the Mitz 73" and the Sony XBR2 70", and to me it had the nicer picture. Thats my own personal opinion though, others will feel differently!

Like someone else above mentioned, your best bet is to give them all a look, hopefully at the same store. While stores certainly aren't the best viewing experience, sometimes its the only option available! Luckily I was able to do this at my store as they had the 7178, Mitz 73, and Sony 70 all next to each other playing the same HD source! I went to the store once a week for the last 2 months (lunch break from work!) to compare them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After a lot of research on this site and viewing some TVs (Sony SXRD and Samsung), I bought the JVC 70FH97 about 10 days ago from beachcamera; also bought 3 yr mack warranty, and got plateau cr 64 stand.

(Actually first I bought the JVC 70 Pro (which was a 2005 model) from TigerDirect for a great price, but never took delivery because I wanted the 1080p inputs and also I read that the newer model had better iris and displayed SD better. PRobably not a big difference but I dont buy TVs very often so I figured I'd spend a few extra bucks to have no regrets later. To their great credit, I called TD and TD accepted the return, no hassles and credited my credit card after they got TV back; I was tremendously impressed and grateful the way they handled.)

All the TVs were great, but JVC was significantly cheaper, and the PQ to me was better. i bought the FH model instead of the FN only because my wife wanted all black frame.

Watched the games in HD this weekend with friends -- ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE. I watch it in Theatre mode most of the time, but if you want to show off, put it in Dynamic mode and the colors and light astound. My friends said they had never seen anything like it. I have it hooked up to 5.1 system, but the TV's sound is better than a lot of speaker systems.

So far, this TV has exceeded all my expectations. Can't wait for Manning to do his thing in 2 weeks.

·
Banned
837 Posts
Though I agree that going in to see the TV in person is the way to go, Its highly doubtful that display TV's are properly calibrated to give the true potential of the sets PQ. Better bring a copy of DVE or AVIA with you and make sure there is a good digital source(BLue ray or HD DVD player) available for PQ comparisons.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.