AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ready to backup my rare laserdiscs to DVD for peace of mind and easier playback for the family.

My big concern is buying a capture card. I don't want to compromise the potential picture quality because I bought the wrong card, but I don't want to spend more $$ than I have to.

I plan on using the PCM digital connection for audio (no DD discs to worry about), so I just need video capability. I'm assuming I want to capture uncompressed video, then convert it to MPEG2 with the Tsunami (free) encoder. I also might keep a DIVX copy on my computer to play off the hard drive.

Any ideas would be helpful, especially from someone who has actually done this.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I recommend getting a DV Camcorder with analog to digital passthru. Then get a IEEE 1394 card, and whollah! You get a camcorder that you can capture all you happy moments on video with and it just happens to be better then just about any capture board at converting analog video to DV.

I just happen to be doing this at the moment. By the time I get off work today, my Blade Runner Criterion LD should be finished encoding and ready for burning to DVD-R :).

ahhhh...... the joy!

·
Registered
226 Posts
you can also get a firewire card and an analog-->DV converter box from Canopus (model ADVC-100). it converts between analog and DV in both directions. I bought one to use at work, and tested it with my old LD player and it performed flawlessly

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I use KBK's modified Zoltrix video acquisition card to feed LDs to my HTPC: more than happy!

Cheers,

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
Another choice for analog -> DV via Firewire is the Hollywood Bridge from Dazzle Multimedia, ~$250.

The ADVC-100 from Canopus retails for $299.

I was impressed with the results capping from an 8mm Sony VTR at SP speed to a PC with the Bridge. It caps via Firewire with an external A/D box, so you avoid internal PC analog noise. The external box connects to the PC via Firewire, and te video is capped with a DV codec.

The included software enables transcoding the DV .avi file (which is much larger than mpeg1 or mpeg 2) to MPG1, MPG2, or even any flavor of DiVX, assuming you download and install one of the free DiVX codecs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.