AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plus I want to play my old systems (dreamcast and older) on something that is sdtv so the picture doesn't look so bad.

Can any of you recommend any 32" TV's (flat screen or not.) that are sdtv's that are good ones? I have a kv-32fs120 that is going back today, due to the fact that the s-video and component inputs flicker on dark colors. I don't like the fact that the sony wega has a kinda dull picture (although i heard that after 200 hours the picture becomes brighter is that true?)

So I was wondering, should I just get a replacement wega, or should I just get something like the toshiba 32A43 or the panasonic clt15l or something like that or the jvc 32" one. (forget what model number it is.) or what?

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any other opinions? It's not going back until thursday now.

Also, on the sony's, is there a way to increase the brightness and contrast more? I set it to 50 (there are 63 lines on the picture settings.) That's the highest you can put them without a chance of burn-in (well, there still is but if you crank it up pass that supposedly burn-in can happen as quickly as a plasma/rptv.)

Any tips? The picture on the kv-32fs120 is kinda dull/dim. Thanks.

The tv has only been used for about 65 hours.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
Quote:
36xs955
thats an HDTV

unless there is something wrong with the Sony

then I would just buy a DVD calibration disc and calibrate your display

I think you are getting one of the better SDTVs still made

Panasonic maybe still making some SDTVs (not outsourced)

they might be your only other option

·
Registered
45 Posts
After some months of looking everything over and seeing regular cable on HDTVS I am buying a non HDTV tv also. These are what I am considering.

BJS has a JVC AV-32SF36 for $399.99

Circuit City has a JVC AV-32F476 for $474.99 and it gets good reviews from all that bought it. Unless I am crazy it was shown at $449.99 last night.

There is an independent dealer close to me who I will visit Monday and see what his prices are, usually he is the same price as the chains or cheaper and his price includes delivery and set up. JVC has a year on parts and labor which is better than the Sony.

Toshiba makes a 32 inch or supposedly Orion makes it for them. I have not seen any current Panasonic 32 inch Non Hdtv models. Compare prices and pictures and see what looks best to you that suits your needs and falls within your price range. There are reasons why I choose not to give Sony my money so I am going to give the JVC a shot. I will try for the AV-32F476, if I can!t get it delivered from the independent dealer for around the same as CC has it for I will probably buy the one at BJS. Good luck with your choice.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus
Toshiba makes a 32 inch or supposedly Orion makes it for them.
Hey Rastus, do you now believe me that all Toshiba CRT TVs, including the 32" you mentioned, are now made by Orion, or you do still disagree with me, thinking that Toshiba still makes their own CRT TVs?

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Hey Rastus, do you now believe me that all Toshiba CRT TVs, including the 32" you mentioned, are now made by Orion, or you do still think that I'm lying, thinking that Toshiba still makes their own CRT TVs?

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Hey Rastus, do you now believe me that all Toshiba CRT TVs, including the 32" you mentioned, are now made by Orion, or you do still think that I'm lying, thinking that Toshiba still makes their own CRT TVs?

Oh, Toshiba TVs also have a one year labor and parts warranty, just like JVC.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I never said you were lying about it. Toshiba never answered my email so I have to believe if they did not deny it it must be so. At the time I asked you, your facts were that the power button was on the opposite side and something else like that and you admitted that you really had no expert knowledge concerning the matter so I think there was reason to question until sure if your facts were straight.

It is a difficult time to buy a tv right now because a lot of content is still not HD and an HD tv does not display Non HD material well in fact I can!t deal with the results. Here is my opinion at this point.

Non HD Samsung tvs get a good picture but no sharpness to it. Most others are much sharper in stores even after adjustments. If it had more sharpness I would consider it. I need more sharpness.

I will look at Toshiba but am not considering it at the top of my list right now.

Panasonic, I saw one today is the same price as the Sony. That being the case the better buy would be the considered the Sony but I don!t want to give them my money as already stated. If it was less money I would consider it. It also has the 1 year parts and labor warranty.

Some JVC!s can have strange reds and sometimes oranges compared to others although I was able to adjust the 32F476 today so that it was right and it is less money than the Panasonic or Sony. I am strongly considering the JVC but I am not familiar with JVC tvs and I would like to know more before I buy. There are differences for each one and I have to decide which one will be the overall best for me.

Waltchan, what do you know about JVC?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
After some months of looking everything over and seeing regular cable on HDTVS I am buying a non HDTV tv also. These are what I am considering.

BJS has a JVC AV-32SF36 for $399.99

Circuit City has a JVC AV-32F476 for $474.99 and it gets good reviews from all that bought it. Unless I am crazy it was shown at $449.99 last night.

There is an independent dealer close to me who I will visit Monday and see what his prices are, usually he is the same price as the chains or cheaper and his price includes delivery and set up. JVC has a year on parts and labor which is better than the Sony.

Toshiba makes a 32 inch or supposedly Orion makes it for them. I have not seen any current Panasonic 32 inch Non Hdtv models. Compare prices and pictures and see what looks best to you that suits your needs and falls within your price range. There are reasons why I choose not to give Sony my money so I am going to give the JVC a shot. I will try for the AV-32F476, if I can!t get it delivered from the independent dealer for around the same as CC has it for I will probably buy the one at BJS. Good luck with your choice.

Spending almost 500.00 for a SDTV...!! Waste of money IMO..

·
Registered
45 Posts
KBI

I can agree with that thinking but with limited HD programming I find the Non HD picture on an HD set unacceptable. I hear it is about $500.00 or more to buy an HD OTA antenna and have it installed to get local stations in HD or I would have to go out and subscribe to a service to the tune of about $65.00 per month and also an up front charge of several hundred for Direct tv, pay over 3 times if I am conservative and beyond that if am not for an HD tv only to be unhappy with a lot of what I am watching.

Because of several things going on this seems like the best way to go for my situation right now. I realize there will always be new technology ready to hit the market but by waiting I will also get better prices on big screens when I do buy as they will drop more.

I have seen some info that suggests that the drop dead date for analog tv will now be 2008 or 2009. Who knows it could change again when we get close to that date. Although I will not be able to get HD for now I will be much happier with the non hd programming through a regular set and also not get any motion blur with sports either.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Quote:
KBI

I can agree with that thinking but with limited HD programming I find the Non HD picture on an HD set unacceptable. I hear it is about $500.00 or more to buy an HD OTA antenna and have it installed to get local stations in HD or I would have to go out and subscribe to a service to the tune of about $65.00 per month and also an up front charge of several hundred for Direct tv, pay over 3 times if I am conservative and beyond that if am not for an HD tv only to be unhappy with a lot of what I am watching.

Because of several things going on this seems like the best way to go for my situation right now. I realize there will always be new technology ready to hit the market but by waiting I will also get better prices on big screens when I do buy as they will drop more.

I have seen some info that suggests that the drop dead date for analog tv will now be 2008 or 2009. Who knows it could change again when we get close to that date. Although I will not be able to get HD for now I will be much happier with the non hd programming through a regular set and also not get any motion blur with sports either.

Don't understand why you think that SD PQ is not good on an HD set. All HD sets have SD inputs, S and composite and their PQ should be as good or actually much better than an interlaced picture on an SD set. I don't care for the way most SD TV looks when fed thru component or DVI/HDMI inputs either, but that is not necessary when you have other inputs. CRTs are not fixed pixel sets and do not have to scale up or down resolution. Also you can buy an OTA ATSC Receiver for much less than you mention. As long as you have adequate signal strength it will work with any UHF antenna feed, even rabbit ears!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I too plan to purchase another SD television, and will switch to HDTV kicking and screaming. Why? I understand over-the-air signals are on the UHF band, and I'm over 50 miles from the nearest city broadcasting HDTV. It is difficult to get a consistently clear standard UHF signal where I live, and outdoor antennas are prohibited. The local cable company is a locally-owned mom-and-pop (and son) operation, and seems clueless when I ask about HDTV reception. They haven't even figured out how to provide the stereo audio signal that is present on stations they pick up off the satellite.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardio
Don't understand why you think that SD PQ is not good on an HD set. All HD sets have SD inputs, S and composite and their PQ should be as good or actually much better than an interlaced picture on an SD set. I don't care for the way most SD TV looks when fed thru component or DVI/HDMI inputs either, but that is not necessary when you have other inputs...
This is a critical point!

SD material does NOT have to look bad on an HD set! Yes, you do have to do a little homework to know how to display SD for best PQ on an HD set, but it can be done very well.

The SD material on my Sony 34" HD set has better PQ than I ever had on any analog set. It is fallacious thinking that SD must look bad on an HD set.

IF you can get a good analog signal then you can get outstanding SD picture quality.

That being said, an HD tv is for digital material. That's what it was made for. If you intend to watch digital material get an HD tv. Concerns about how SD will look should not detract from a decision for HD. As I wrote in another forum, you don't get a first class PC workstation and worry how Wordstar will work.

To repeat - SD material can look very good on an HD tv. There are numerous FAQs and numerous HD forums that tell you how to get these kinds of results.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I agree with justsc here. SD material does in fact look good (if not great!!) on an HD set.

I personally bought a Toshiba 30HF84 this summer for $499 [refurbished] plus $59.99 for 2 year ex. warranty....and sure, out-of-box, the SD picture was a bit underwhelming. But after a lil time, research, and service menu tweaks using the Avia calibration disc, I must say the picture on this set was, at worst, just slightly better than the standard set I replaced. And that's just speaking on the look of SD cable.....my PS2 games and DVDs have never looked better than how they are now on this set!!

I've still yet to see what HD cable will look like on this set, but I'm already extremely happy with my purchase and HD cable and the upcoming HD games consoles are only going to make things even better.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjav
I've still yet to see what HD cable will look like on this set, but I'm already extremely happy with my purchase and HD cable and the upcoming HD games consoles are only going to make things even better.
You are going to be one happy camper. I got my hd set a few weeks before getting Comcast digital cable. At first, I wasn't even planning on getting hd channels for some time. But I was so blown away by the great PQ on SD and DVDs that I had to bite the bullet.

I am so glad I did. And you will be too. Please report back when you're watching HD to let us know your thoughts.

Have Fun! ;)

·
Registered
227 Posts
"Digital cable and satellite tv are already considered digital signals and may never be broadcast in HD.HD is not the standard the industry must comply with,digital is"

I read this in another forum.If it is correct then many if not most stations will not be converting to HD signals for quite sometime.

Should that be taken into consideration when choosing between a standard and a HD or is this information incorrect?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It took some tweaking but SD on my Sony 34XBR960 HD set looks good now, but when you compare any SD to an HD image it is lacking. Digital SD channels look almost as good as HD channels.

I agree it's still a little early for HD unless you are a sports nut or love to pay high $ for all the premium HD channels on cable or sat. since the only free HD available is the nutworks prime time shows.

Widescreen DVD movies look great on my HD set. The widescreen image is so much better than 4:3, it's just the HD programming is lacking or expensive to get.

I only bought the Sony HD set now cause I thought Sony would soon stop offering tubes and I didn't want to pay the higher prices for flat panels, and the XBR960 has the best picture around IMO.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.