AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the Sony XBR2 for a few weeks...great picture but compatibility problems with DVD player. I'm looking at Toshiba, Panasonic and Philips (Sony is just too expensive to go with it again and firewire doesn't allow recording). Which of these would you get and if you have one, what do you think about it? Will my picture be as good as the Sony's? Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recently went through the same decision. I like flat screens better so it ruled out the RCA. I did side by side comparisons of the Philips, Panasonic, Toshiba and Sony. I did not like the picture in the Philips, even after playing for a while with the settings at the store. I did not like the cabinet of the Sony, though the picture is very good. The Panasonic has excellent picture. The Toshiba got to have also a very good picture after playing with the settings.

I ended up buying the Toshiba (34hf81) because it is a newer model and it has the 3:2 pulldown and the stretch modes work with all the inputs. I'm very happy with it, colors are great. We've gotten used to the TheaterWide 1 stretch mode for 4:3 material.

I do not have an HD source yet. I'll be getting Dish soon. Meanwhile have it connected with Component Video cables from a DVD (Denon 700DV). We compared it with a progressive scan DVD and could not see the difference, so I presume the built-in line doubler and 3:2 pulldown of the TV must be working well enough, at least for my taste.

Michel

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sony implemented the bidirectional firewire connection as an input only. Any HD that you are watching on the TV cannot be recorded via the firewire connection. Of course, once firewire STBs are available...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm probably going to get the Toshiba. I like its looks and price. I've seen and read too many bad things about the RCA. I also did a side-by-side comparison with a Philips 34" and the Philips blew the RCA away with a crisper and more colorful picture.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Marque,

It's a copy protection thing. There was a post on this forum a few days back that went into detail on it. Sorry, don't have the link.

Mepstein,

What was your DVD compatibility problem? I've got one of these Sonys on order. Until it comes in I live vicariously via other peoples posts on this forum :).

Jeff.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You'll like the Toshiba. Mine produces excellent results with just a OTA Rat Shack double bowtie. CBS at 1080i looks mesmerizing. ABC at 720p is good too. A little bit of red push, but you can compensate for that.

I think it's very sharp, second only to plasmas. Black level very good. It still needs to be calibrated to be truly spectacular. When I get my dish and outdoor antenna installed, I'll report back on true HD viewing...

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would have to go with the Toshia as well. I have seen this TV several times with HD displaying and have been very impressed by the PQ each time.

As for the Sony, I have only seen DVD's hooked up to it. The picture looked great. However, I can not comment on the sets HD PQ.

What ever your decision is, I beleive you will be more than pleased.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm going with the Toshiba. I've seen it side by side with the Sony and at first I thought that the Sony picture was better. Then I went back to the store another time and fooled around with the color settings on the Toshiba. It blew the Sony out of the water when it came to realistic flesh tones, sharpness, blackness, etc. To be fair, the Sony could've used some tweaking also (picture was a little soft) to be comparable or even surpass the Toshi, but the price difference is about 1 grand, so that was a MAJOR deciding factor for me. Plus, the Toshiba is only 33" wide (will fit in a cabinet if necessary) and weighs 40+ lbs. less (something to think about if you ever have to move it yourself). The Sony was nice because it had those built-in handles on the sides, but the front is a lot wider (I think around 40") because the speakers are mounted on either side of the screen. I liked the idea of the Firewire on the Sony, but I'm hearing that it's not really a necessity right now. Kind of like buying a computer with a mega-gig HD when you only do word processing. IMHO, the Sony price difference could be based on the fact that they spend a lot of their money on the technology/innovation and everyone else emulates it (or tries to emulate), ergo, passing the savings on to you. Just an opinion.

Good luck,

NoelAV

·
Registered
33,772 Posts
I'll throw a vote in for the Panny Tau. I've seen it side by side with the Sony at several electronics outlets and find its picture to be better. I haven't seen the new Toshiba side by side displaying the SAME material. My recommendation is NOT to listen to me or anyone else, see them for YOURSELF. Everybody has different perceptions and hot buttons, only you can decide what looks best to YOU.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Prosumer.tv
You'll like the Toshiba. Mine produces excellent results with just a OTA Rat Shack double bowtie. CBS at 1080i looks mesmerizing. ABC at 720p is good too.

Just out of curiosity: what STB are you using with your Toshiba?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mepstein
I'm probably going to get the Toshiba. I like its looks and price. I've seen and read too many bad things about the RCA. I also did a side-by-side comparison with a Philips 34" and the Philips blew the RCA away with a crisper and more colorful picture.
If you've already seen these tv's and decided you like it's look and price, then why did you ask.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've only had my 34HF81 hooked up for a few hours, but so far, I'm very pleased with the purchase. It was scary for ten minutes or so trying to get a usable picture with the 6000. The picture was all torn and unstable. Every time I tried to pull up a menu screen, the Toshiba would lose sync and the screen went black. Problem was solved by using the s-video out so I could set the HD mode to use the YPbPr output. It was set to RGB as I had been using with my Viewsonic PC monitor. Oops:rolleyes: Now I have a super picture with a solid lock.

I like that the different stretch modes. Like MichaelA said, the TheaterWide1 variable stretch fills the screen without being too obnoxios.

The other selling point for us was the case width. This set is 33-2/3" wide because the speakers are located under the screen instead of on the sides like the Philips or the Sony. This set is actually narrower than the Philips 30" PW9817 (!)

The one thing my wife doesn't care for is the silver/grey case. Our old Sony was black, but I guess that's too 20th century...

·
Registered
189 Posts
My 34HF81 arrived yesterday and I am very impressed. Only saw it demoed at Video Only with a DVD input. Primetime OTA and HBO/HDTV from Direct are outstanding. The size was also important to me. Still not wild about the stretch modes, but the full width network stuff with black side bars is very acceptable to me

Don

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BBobley

Just out of curiosity: what STB are you using with your Toshiba?
I'm using the Toshiba DST-3000, which I picked up at Video Only.

I couldn't wait for the Zenith STB, because it's taking too long for hell to freeze over :D.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I bought the Toshiba 34hf81 for my Home Office to be used with my new Xbox on Nov 15th. Also picked up their SD3755 Prog Scan DVD player and the DST3000 HD Sat Rcvr...

Awesome!

34Hf81 = $1998

SD3755 = $229

DST3000 = $499

What a system! The TV picture is awesome with 1080i (Thanks CBS, HBO). Even my weak link, NBC in standard 480i looks acceptable. The DVD picture is cool and I love the screen saver functionality when paused.

BTW/ Got my system and Brandsmart USA. Walked in told them what I wanted. Don't waste my time, just give me your best price & forget to push extended warranties!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can't tell you which to get, but from looking at lots of info about this I can say that Toshiba does make better tubes than the one they put in their 34" here in the US. I'm sure everyone knows that Sampo actually use Toshiba's highest grade Microfilter 34" tube- which kind of tells me that the Japanese don't really want to give us the best technology they can. Too bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.