AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which 35"/36" TV should I get? Please rank these in case I cannot find the one you recommend. PQ for video games is the most important to me. I live in Canada so these are the Canadian model numbers.

Sony 36HS420 (850 lines)

Toshiba 36A43 (curved screen, 800 lines)

Toshiba 35AFX53 (flat screen)

Toshiba 35AF44 (flat screen, 880 lines)

All of these TVs are about the same price.

I am not sure which of these Toshibas are HDTV compatible so please let me know.

Any other recommendations are welcome.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Look for the higher-end Sony XS or XBR model rather than the lower end HS model. The XS or XBR has a much higher resolution super-fine-pitch HD CRT. Those Toshibas you list I don't believe are HD sets I think those models you list are analog sets only. The Toshiba HD set in that size should be an HF85 model.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also read on this forum that a lot of people think that the colors of the Sony sets are too cartoony. I am wondering if these cartoony colors would be better for videogames?

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilite
Which 35"/36" TV should I get? Please rank these in case I cannot find the one you recommend. PQ for video games is the most important to me. I live in Canada so these are the Canadian model numbers.

Sony 36HS420 (850 lines)

Toshiba 36A43 (curved screen, 800 lines)

Toshiba 35AFX53 (flat screen)

Toshiba 35AF44 (flat screen, 880 lines)

All of these TVs are about the same price.

I am not sure which of these Toshibas are HDTV compatible so please let me know.

Any other recommendations are welcome.
None of the Toshibas you listed are HDTVs. The ones ending with a 71, 72, and 73 are HDTV compatible. But, at least all the three models you listed are made by Toshiba.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to the ConsumersReports.org comparison chart, the Panasonic Tau CT-36HL44 has better S-Video PQ than the Sony 36HS420. But I guess Panasonics are not ideal for video games since they don't accept 720p signals right?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
S-video doesn't carry HD signals anyway. Sony's are top quality, not cartoony - I don't know who claimed that, probably didn't have the set adjusted right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I haven't tried any of those exact models, but I do own a Sony 36HS510, which should basically be the same as the 36HS420. I use mine primarily for video games and I've been happy with it so far. (I've owned it about a year now.) From what I've seen of the competing technologies, they just don't measure up when it comes to video games so I think you're on the right track going with a CRT.

My advice is to see if you can take a game system into the store and try the TVs out. The store I went to allowed me to do that, which helped out a lot, although I still ended up returning my first TV. (d'oh!) As heavy as these things are, you don't want to make too many returns! :) I originally got the Sony 34" widescreen XBR CRT, although I wasn't as happy with it overall. I found that I rarely use 16:9, and decided I had spent an insane amount of money for what basically amounts to a 27" screen in 4:3. So I took it back and got the normal 36" screen.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
According to the ConsumersReports.org comparison chart, the Panasonic Tau CT-36HL44 has better S-Video PQ than the Sony 36HS420. But I guess Panasonics are not ideal for video games since they don't accept 720p signals right?
The CT36HL44 is last years model and has been discontinued and unless you find a place that has old stock you're out of luck. Panasonic no longer makes a 36" HD-ready tube TV. Sony is the only one left making 36" HD sets (HS420 and XS955) but look for these to be discontinued soon if they haven't already. Everybody else has ceased production of 36" HD sets (Panny, Toshiba, Hitachi, JVC). All gone forever.

When i was shopping for a 32" HD tube a few years ago the Panny's all looked better than the Sony HS510 series, and once i got my Panny home it still looked better than my gal-pal's 32HS510 next door and better than another friend's Toshiba 32HF73.

The Panny's no 720p thing is only a problem for people that have certain 720p XBOX games and aren't willing to set the box to output them in 480p.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Quote:
I also read on this forum that a lot of people think that the colors of the Sony sets are too cartoony. I am wondering if these cartoony colors would be better for videogames?
You're joking, right? Sony has been the industry standard in CRT's since I can remember. Sure, they don't make'em like they used to, but neither is anyone else out there. I think of what you are referring is to the torch mode "Showroom" settings that used to attract potential customers on the Salesroom Floor models. I guess some of these Electronic Stores think we're dopes and crank up these TV's to the max thinking to draw customers in like a moth to the flame. Yeah, it gets that crazy in these stores.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Take good look at the Sony 36XS955. I think you will be very impressed with its overall picture quality and its features. And the built in HDTV tuner is icing on the cake! In my opinion, it will better any CRT set in its class and it comes in a very close second to the 34XBR960.

Please don't rely on any SD picture that you see in the showrooms. This set will literally give you back what you feed it. LOL! In other words, garbage in, garbage out. Most showrooms are not setup properly and like other posters have stated, the TV sets are set to attract your eyes. Most newer sets will look okay with a decent DVD signal and just about all sets will look good with a good HDTV signal. What seperates the 36XS955 from the pack is the super fine pitch screen. You will notice a "positive" difference when viewing SD signals. Room size and the distance you will be sitting from the screen matters, but I still think that you will be impressed. Trust me.

As far as HD is concerned, this set is f*ckin' awesome. It betters a lot of larger sets in overall picture quality and presentation. Many microdisplay projection sets would be hard pressed to match its picture quality. I personally use an over the air HD feed and all that I can tell you is that I have not seen a better picture from any other CRT with the possible exception going to the Sony 34XBR960. And in my opinion those two sets are very close.

If you are football fan like me, you will love HD on this set. Monday's game on ABC was NICE! And yesterday's game on FOX was good too.

I do have one problem with the set though... I wish it was a 63 inch set instead of a 36. ROTFLOL!

Peace!

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Banks
Take good look at the Sony 36XS955. I think you will be very impressed with its overall picture quality and its features. And the built in HDTV tuner is icing on the cake! In my opinion, it will better any CRT set in its class and it comes in a very close second to the 34XBR960.

Please don't rely on any SD picture that you see in the showrooms. This set will literally give you back what you feed it. LOL! In other words, garbage in, garbage out. Most showrooms are not setup properly and like other posters have stated, the TV sets are set to attract your eyes. Most newer sets will look okay with a decent DVD signal and just about all sets will look good with a good HDTV signal. What seperates the 36XS955 from the pack is the super fine pitch screen. You will notice a "positive" difference when viewing SD signals. Room size and the distance you will be sitting from the screen matters, but I still think that you will be impressed. Trust me.

As far as HD is concerned, this set is f*ckin' awesome. It betters a lot of larger sets in overall picture quality and presentation. Many microdisplay projection sets would be hard pressed to match its picture quality. I personally use an over the air HD feed and all that I can tell you is that I have not seen a better picture from any other CRT with the possible exception going to the Sony 34XBR960. And in my opinion those two sets are very close.

If you are football fan like me, you will love HD on this set. Monday's game on ABC was NICE! And yesterday's game on FOX was good too.

I do have one problem with the set though... I wish it was a 63 inch set instead of a 36. ROTFLOL!

Peace!
You said it Pal. Sony's Super Fine Pitch Tubes can not be matched for PQ, period. Whether you want a 4:3 HDTV like the 36"er, or the widescreen 34XBR960, you'll be getting the best bang for your buck. You will not go wrong w/either choice.

Robin, we're thinking the same Football thoughts. For my next HT upgrade, I'm thinking of a 60-65"er flat panel display. Just imagine splitting the screen on that baby w/two HD broadcasted football games!:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.