AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a flat panel TV, 40"-42". I have read that the Pioneer PDP4270HD has the best NON HDTV picture in the plasma TV's. Is this truley the case? I just bought a Panasonic TH-42PX6U and was not very thrilled with the NON HDTV quality. Since this is mostly what I will be watching, I want to get something that suite this need the most. Is there a better LCD choice? Is this the best plasma choice? My video source is coming from Time Warner via their HD box using component cables.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
SD display is a function of a good input signal coupled with a good video processor. It takes both. A signal in a display room may be split several times before it reaches the set you are interested in bringing home. This degraded signal may lead you to believe that the set does not do a decent job. I have a 40" set and the SD is great!! I have a good strong signal input (cable) and a good set. Some channels look as good as a DVD.

Have you experimented with changing the SD output from the TW box from 480i to 480p, or vice versa? This will sometimes give you a better display. How does SD look on a CRT, if you still have one? If it is weak, you may need to ask TW to check your signal strength.

A 40-42" plasma or lcd with a good video processer and a good signal should provide good SD.

·
Registered
732 Posts
A couple of good responses. I would also add that you may need to tweek your settings for SD, as outlined by RHarkness

http://www.bruzziforum.com/vbf/showthread.php?t=59

Finally, I did find a significant improvement in my house for SD on a pioneer as compared to a panny and sammy. Just my personal experience. I've often heard that pio and nec have some of the best SD display capabilities. In your house, with your signal, who knows if that will be the case?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I know it may not be a popular option but but a EDTV may suit your needs. Everything I read says they do a great job on SD, way better than any HDTV panel. And HD on them are nearly undetectable from a distance of 8ft or more. So take that for what its worth. Everybody is gonna tell you they are the same price or it only costs a couple $100 more for a HDTV so you would be stupid to buy EDTV, but if you are that concerened about SD it may be an option for you. Or you can go the opposite way and spend alot more for a Pioneer or NEC and get good SD

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreytp /forum/post/0

I am in the market for a flat panel TV, 40"-42". I have read that the Pioneer PDP4270HD has the best NON HDTV picture in the plasma TV's. Is this truley the case? I just bought a Panasonic TH-42PX6U and was not very thrilled with the NON HDTV quality. Since this is mostly what I will be watching, I want to get something that suite this need the most. Is there a better LCD choice? Is this the best plasma choice? My video source is coming from Time Warner via their HD box using component cables.

You're problem is your source. Did you try the ATSC tuner. SD on a good digital channel looks great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.