AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a nice 5.1 setup for my LG 47" in my room. It will be hooked up to my computer w/ gtx260 and Sound blaster audigy 4. Also to a PS3. I barely have enough space for a 5.1 setup and i am looking for a nice HTIB for around 400-600$. I mainly care about the sound and not about the features from the receiver. I do have experience setting up an audio system in my car. I installed sub/amp/speakers/headunit, but im feeling a bit lazy to gather everything.

I would like some suggestions for a 5.1 setup. Preferably one of these brands: Denon, yamaha Onkyo (Mainly because ive heard good things about them)

So far im considering Denon DHT-590BA. So any thoughts about the best bang for you buck 5.1 setups?

Note: I am still open to building my own setup but im not sure where to get 4 nice speakers/center piece/sub.

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the Denon DHT 590BA. love it. the Boston Acoustic speakers are rated at 88 or 89 db for sensitivity which is pretty dang decent. you could go with that setup and then upgrade the speakers after awhile if you're so inclined. I also got 14AWG loud speaker wire and banana plugs from monoprice for a lot cheaper then you would pay in the store. Gained a whole dB in channel level after i installed it.

1) what's the size of your room

2)what's the percentage of use.... music/movies/TV/Gaming

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. The size of my room is about 200sq feet. However, i only plan to setup surround sound around my bed(The right side of the room), which is roughly 100sqft.
Attachment 167528

The TV is off to the side a little bit(aligned with left side of my bed) and Front Speaker 1 is 1-2 feet further from the center of my bed compared to F2. I plan to give some gain to F1 to make up for the distance. The front speakers will be on 2 tables, and the 2 rear speakers will be on my nightstands(which is 1feet lower than the front speakers) My computer desk is where the Front RIght Speaker is sitting on.

2. I would like the system primarily for movies. I would probably use my system mostly for music, but my main goal is optimize this for movies/games as i wouldnt be sitting in the central spot unless im doing one of the 2.

I dont exactly care about the loudness or anything, mainly about the quality and surround sound effect.

Also would my setup good for 5.1?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for recommending a great priced 7.1 system. But i was wondering if there is a slightly better 5.1 system for $600 OR a lower priced 5.1 of same quality as the one you linked.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I purchased the Samsung HT1250 in December:

two digital audio inputs for my DBS and AppleTV;

analog audio input for my computer;

iPod dock;

Blu-Ray;

Netflix, Blockbuster and Pandora.

Check it out...

·
Registered
435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkils /forum/post/18163430

Thanks for recommending a great priced 7.1 system. But i was wondering if there is a slightly better 5.1 system for $600 OR a lower priced 5.1 of same quality as the one you linked.

Definately look into buying a 5.1 system- 7.1 will be a waste for you in such a small space.

You could also do your own build. You can get the Polk RM6750 5.1 full setup for ~$200 online.

http://www.electronics-expo.com/make.../RM6750/1.html

Then you could buy a receiver for $200.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-51...6543714&sr=1-5

Of course, you don't have to purchase these exact items, but what I've posted will do you a great job, and has the sound capability to let your PS3 and computer sound great.

·
Registered
872 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
would an 8" subwoofer be too small? My room is about 2000cu sqft. I really only want to have surround sound for 1/2 the room.

Priority in order: quality for movies, games then music.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkils /forum/post/18169250

would an 8" subwoofer be too small? My room is about 2000cu sqft. I really only want to have surround sound for 1/2 the room.

Priority in order: quality for movies, games then music.

Sure you don't mean 200sq-ft, not 2000

What are the exact dimentions of your room length and width and height?

For a 2,000 sq-ft room you will need alot more than $600

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i meant cubic squqre feet.. so the dimension is something like:

15ft x 18ft with an 8' ceiling.

I am only putting surround sound on half of the room. So my setup for surround sound would be around an area of 8 x 14. The sub will be in a half corner.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
You'd be fine with an 8" sub. It doesn't sound like you're looking for for loud and I'm assuming that a bedroom setup would need to be respectful of the rest of the house.

For better performance (especially with music) you might want to look into bigger speakers than satellites. Vanns has some Jamo speakers that might suit you and fit you price range:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...1827/jamo-c401
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...2/jamo-c400cen

...and Newegg has some Polk Monitor series that would do as well for the price.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm looking at about the same thing. Is the Polk RM6750 about the same as the Take Classic 5.1? Would a display TC5.1 be worth another hundo?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidOH /forum/post/18175285

I'm looking at about the same thing. Is the Polk RM6750 about the same as the Take Classic 5.1? Would a display TC5.1 be worth another hundo?

Take Classic 5.1 would sound better than Polk RM6750.

I own the polk rm6750 and i love them but if i had the money i would have went with Energy's

I am extremely happy with my purchase of rm6750s they sound amazing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts