1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TV: LG 47lh30

Reciever: Yamha RM v765

Ps3 to come.

I now want to spend no more than 500$ on a whole set of speakers/subwoofer for a 5.1 setup.

My room is about 18x15 feet. But i only want surround sound for half of the room, which is about 8x15.

So any suggestions on a 5.1 setup that would go good w/ my yamaha v765?

Priorities is Movies, then gaming, then music. Even though i will use it mostly for music, i mainly want this setup for movies.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see the cs1 and cs10 for the same price. Im assuming the cs10 is a bit better than the cs1 right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also for the polk monitor 30, should i get Monitor 30 for the back 2, and monitor 40 for the front 2? Or would it be sufficient w/ 4 30's?

·
Registered
29,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkils /forum/post/18175604

I see the cs1 and cs10 for the same price. Im assuming the cs10 is a bit better than the cs1 right?

No, not necessarily. Its newer though. The CS10 is the matching center for the Tsi speaker line which replaced the Monitor line. Main difference between the Tsi and the Monitor series is the cabinet, so mostly cosmetic.

The CS1 is the matching center for the Monitor 30.

·
Registered
29,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkils /forum/post/18175695

Also for the polk monitor 30, should i get Monitor 30 for the back 2, and monitor 40 for the front 2? Or would it be sufficient w/ 4 30's?

wouldn't hurt to get the bigger Monitor 40's up front. Monitor 30 is fine for surrounds. the 40's come on sale frequenty, just wait a few days and they should be $109-$119.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Since this will be used mostly for music even though that's not the top priority, I would go listen to some speakers at BB or Frys with your own music to hear the differences between brands. Energy RC's and Infinity Primus would be good candidates for auditions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input guys. After all the research with your input i think im gonna try:

Sub: Bic f-12 (similiar to h100 but 30$ cheaper)-$183 at blt

Front: polk monitor 40-

Back: polk monitor 30-

Center: cs1/cs2/cs10, depends on deal. ~$100

Afrogt, where do you usually see the cs40 go on sale for 120??

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
They go on sale at Newegg.com. they were $109 just last week.

Just keep checking back daily or signup for their email specials.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks afrogt, ill keep an eye out.

Just 1 last question, i keep on hearing people say how the classic take 5's are so good. I couldnt find any information to see if they are better than the monitor 30/40/ cs1.

But i do know its cheaper in price.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

$220 for classic takes vs ~$300 for the polks.

So with that said, are the energy's better and would it be better for me to grab the take 5 classics OR just wait for my polk monitor 30/40, cs1/cs2/cs10 to go on sale?

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
The take are decent, but I think the Polks would be a better system. The Monitor 40 has 5.25" woofer compared to a 3" for the take system.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezkils /forum/post/18176642

Thanks afrogt, ill keep an eye out.

Just 1 last question, i keep on hearing people say how the classic take 5's are so good. I couldnt find any information to see if they are better than the monitor 30/40/ cs1.

But i do know its cheaper in price.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

$220 for classic takes vs ~$300 for the polks.

So with that said, are the energy's better and would it be better for me to grab the take 5 classics OR just wait for my polk monitor 30/40, cs1/cs2/cs10 to go on sale?

Thanks!

FYI: About the Polk Monitor series.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hirent,

I know the cs1 and cs10 are just about the same thing. But spec wise, it shows that the cs10 is a little bit better than the cs1, is that true or is it just marketing?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would say go with the CS 1, while they are similar the CS1 tweeter is perfectly matched with the Monitor series...depending upon your ear you may or may not hear a difference in terms of timbre if you get the CS 10 in stead. and if by different specs you're referring to the frequency specs, I wouldn't worry too much about the CS10 going a little lower than the CS1 b/c your sub will be taking up that range anyway if you set it to THX standard of 80hz crossover.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts