AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, lets cut to the chase. 50" plasma, Panasonic or Fujitsu? and which models? or is their something else out there that I should consider. From what I have read on the forum, these seem to be the two favorites. Help me out people. Also, if you sway towards the Panny, should one wait for the new model coming out? (what's the model #? 6UY I think). Does Fujitsu have a latest and greatest?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Fujitsu will soon have a 55".

It seems like the new Panasonic HD6UY would be a prudent buy. You can get it for thousands less than a Fujitsu because of Fujitsu's arcane policy towards discounters and online sales.

I'm sure the picture quality between the Panasonic and the Fujitsu would be nearly immeasurable.

There are messages on this board where Fujitsu refuses to take responsibility for a known default in their $10,000 plasma leaving the customer stuck with a malfunctioning unit.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Online vendors sponsoring this forum are taking pre-orders now. The previous model, HD5UY is on clearance at many places.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JPJS
OK, lets cut to the chase. 50" plasma, Panasonic or Fujitsu? and which models? or is their something else out there that I should consider. From what I have read on the forum, these seem to be the two favorites. Help me out people. Also, if you sway towards the Panny, should one wait for the new model coming out? (what's the model #? 6UY I think). Does Fujitsu have a latest and greatest?
Yes, there is something else to consider. The Pioneer 503CMX is in the class with these other plasmas, but for less money. The video card options allow for future proofing as well.

During the last week, I had occasion to do a little plasma "shopping" with a work associate who is in the market for a plasma. We did spend quite some time looking at the Fujitsu P50, as well as the Pioneers. I could not tell the difference in picture quality between these or mine at home. I just know that I paid a helluva lot less.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Pioneer 503CMX is definitely one to consider. I still think Fujitsu is over priced and you can't buy it online. Check around for good deals on the Pioneer - the price may be enough to help you make up your minds.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The Fujitsu and Panasonic are very similar. The main difference is that Fujitsu's internal scaler is a little better, so you'll see fewer motion artifacts. If that's worth the $2000 average price difference, then get the Fujitsu.

The Pioneer is much less expensive than the other two and has the advantage of upgradeability. This panel does not display dark scenes as well as the other two. Also the artifacting is IMO more extreme than the other two. OTOH, the Pioneer has an extremely vibrant color presentation that you either prefer over the Fujitsu/Panny or you don't.

- Dave

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Quote:
Fujitsu will soon have a 55".
When?

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
The main difference is that Fujitsu's internal scaler is a little better,

- Dave
As far as the New Panny's (series 6, etc.) vs. Fujitsu P50 this is yet to be determined (all over again). We'll have to wait and see.

Acuity Core signal processing, Real Mach System, Mach Enhancer, New waffle cell structures, 1536 level gray scale, yada, yada, yada...

·
Registered
388 Posts
work permit

Fujitsu P55 will available late Jan/04

Jim

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm just wondering if they include maple syrup with their new waffle cell structures. Some people say the ED syrup with 50% sugar tastes just as good as the HD syrup with 100% maple. :p

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Atchison
Wow! Discoveries from the R&D Dept. or the Marketing Dept.?

Jeff
Both, I'm sure.;)

As has been previously discussed, the new HD panels have added cross-ribbing, so now they are closer to what Pioneer has been using in terms of enclosed - phosphor coated side walls all the way around. Panny still maintains the asymmetric RGB sized cells. This was initially referred to in an early press release (posted here on AVS) as a "5-facet cell structure" (bottom and 4 walls) increasing the surface area (with-in each cell) of the phosphors. The claim is to increase brightness.

The Acuity Core Signal processing is a platform that Panny has developed to use across their whole line of displays (not just plasmas). Among other things - it includes 10-bit 3-D Digital Comb Filtering.

Real Mach-

"the new “REAL MACH” high performance technology, which functions at the panel, control-electronics and digital-processor-level and has thus led to numerous improvements in picture display."

With-in Real Mach is the "Real Black" processing. (to achieve the 4000:1 ED contrast).

In addition, the "Mach Enhancer" is a image enhancement system that operates "on the fly" so-to-speak, adjusting picture information automatically (optical slide of hand?).

Whether any of this nets bonafide PQ improvements, only time will tell, and only if someone is able to perform a 'fair' side-by-side comparison.

Some of the above was discussed at IFA 2003 Panasonic News conference. There is a Windows Media Slide show here:

http://matsushita.co.jp/info/webcast/ifa/entry_e.html

You will need to click on appropriate connection speed, the on the next page click on " 4. Product Demonstrations".. It is a 22 minute slide show, so you may want to fast forward about halfway to the 'Acuity Core' talk. There is a Lady presenting that portion.

Here's one of the slides:

http://www.net-ir.ne.jp/setumei/e67520308cc/ppt/48.jpg

PS. I like my "Waffles' asymmetric.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.