AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm buying a new TV and after researching my options here's what I got.

The 55B7000 or the 52B750 or the 55B6000, they are the same price where I live (which is much more expensive than the US) for example each TV cost about 3300$, you get my drift.

The B8000 is out of the equation because its about 4800$, you guys are lucky, believe me.

So between the B7000/6000 and the B750, is any of them much better than the other ? Which one would you guys get and why ? I'm not sure and would really appreciate your help.

I hope you guys can help me with my decision.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't own any of these TVs, but I can tell you that after extensive research of my own I believe you'll be the most happy with the B750. It appears to be a very solid set and a mature build of the LCD with flourescent backlight technology. I hear a lot of talk about the edge-lit LED sets, i.e. the 6000/7000 having annoying flashlighting, screen-uniformity issues and global dimming which can also be annoying.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Actually both the 750 and the edge lit led sets have "global dimming". Both dim the entire backlight array during scenes that are mostly dark. The difference is that the led sets dim a lot more than the ccfl sets do--that's how they come up with much higher advertised contrast ratios on the led sets.

The problem is that if you have a scene that's mostly dark with some bright parts the bright parts dim a lot more on the led sets than on the ccfl sets--to the point where it's very noticeable. The local dimming leds don't do this, but are very expensive.

Where I work we have the edge lit leds right next to some higher end ccfl sets. A few scenes in our demo loop have a bright logo in the middle of a dark screen. That logo looks a lot dimmer on the led sets than on the ccfl sets, yet when the scene is all bright the leds are just a tad brighter. This along with the "swimmy" artifacting and/or soap opera effect when using the frame interpolation feature on 120-240hz Samsungs have contributed to my preference for plasma in appropriate situations.

In my opinion among the 3 sets the OP mentions I'd go with the ccfl 750. It has separate judder and smoothing adjustments for the frame interpolation so the swimmy effect can be reduced to a tolerable level though it will still have some of the soap opera effect. I've also been able to get really good fleshtones more easily on it than on the led model which tends to have a tiny bit of that "clayface" effect.

·
Registered
246 Posts
OP, I very recently [ ~ 2 weeks ago ] was in the same exact seat as you.. LN52B750 or UN55B6000...Both were priced exactly the same!!

I took a chance with the LED and opted for the B6000 ! I knew the 750 was/is a solid LCD and much raved about.. But, having recently bought the UN46B6000, I knew I liked the LED too.. My only concern was severe flashing/clouding.. I was already expecting some, but wouldn't have been able to live with an overly cloudy screen!

Luckily, I got a piece that has very little cloudiness.. And, hence, I have no regrets not choosing the 750 over the B6000!!

If you're buying from a B&M Store Vs Online, go compare them.. play with the settings.. play a BR movie [if the store is kind enough to allow that, which they should considering the big ticket sale] ...

I played with the 630/640 [best buy's version of the 630]/650750, LH90 [LG LED], B6000/7100 [best buy's version of the 7000 series]/8000, Sony V/W series, Toshiba Regzas, Sharp Aquos.. in more than store and several times before I zero'ed in on what I like.. I also compared these to the 8500 even though I wasn't planning on dishing out that much on a TV!

I have also started believing in the Samsung Panel Lottery.. My UN46B600 had a [BN01] Panel and the cloudiness was unbearable.. Off angle viewing [ even a 20 degree shift from dead center] would bother me and get increasingly torturous as I deviated away from the center!!

I took a big risk ordering the 55B6000 from online and ended up with a SQ01 Panel aka S Panel. The whole viewing experience is day and night from the 46" version!! There is still some flashing [ lower left and right corners and some blotching in the middle which is visible when watching with the room absolutely dim or dark, but not enough to bother me.. it's very trivial compared to the 46" which would make me turn the TV off!! ]

Prior to the 46" LED, I had bought the LN46B630 [ AC03 Panel aka A Panel ] which had great dead center PQ, but the colors washed out significantly when you moved away from the center, and even watching from dead center the blacks weren't deep or inky.. I went to FRYs [ B&M store ] and compared my 630 with the one they had on the floor.. I set theirs up the same way as mine, and the PQ was quite different.. The Panel version at FRYs display model was [SS01, also a S Panel]

These two comparisons have somewhat led me to believe in this Panel theory, so even though I hate to propagate this.. I feel morally compelled to give you a heads up on this..

In the end, I would break down the 750 Vs B6000 comparison in two broad points:

1) LN52750 is a more safer purchase in the sense that you'll hardly read any PQ complaints about it. It's a proven top quality LCD!!

2) UN55B6000 is more of a gamble. The probability is 50/50. You may end up with a great unit or one that'll make you wanna blow up Samsung!! But, if you do get the good piece, you'll LOVE it!!!

Goodluck with whatever route you go..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the B750 is actually winning here. I thought that the LED sets would actually be better, they both seemed to have pretty good reviews on CNet.

$4,800 would also get you a decent used car here, it's just that electronics are ridiculously over priced by the local dealers.

I'm really torn here, I'm afraid the B750 wont have that pop that the LED's seem to have. I'm also losing 3" going with the B750. I'm leaning towards taking my chance with the B7000.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSoul /forum/post/18188504

So the B750 is actually winning here. I thought that the LED sets would actually be better, they both seemed to have pretty good reviews on CNet.

$4,800 would also get you a decent used car here, it's just that electronics are ridiculously over priced by the local dealers.

I'm really torn here, I'm afraid the B750 wont have that pop that the LED's seem to have. I'm also losing 3" going with the B750. I'm leaning towards taking my chance with the B7000.

I had the same choice after researching and reading what others had to say I went with the B750 and am very happy I did. The picture does have pop, and really its like only 2 1/2' bigger.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts