AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
What kind of viewing will you be doing (movies, TV, video gaming, PC, etc), and what kind of environment will it be in? Are you set on LCD or open to plasma too? Without more info it's hard to make a good recommendation or even point you in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
Okay. What's your budget - if you can afford it I'd highly recommend a local dimming, LED backlit LCD (not the edge-lit ones that Samsung advertises as LED TVs).

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
You really should provide more details of your viewing habits, your budget, etc. FYI, until 2010 models come out there has only been a handful of LCDs at 60" and larger. And many of them aren't as good as the 55" and smaller LCDs. Unless you are totally set against it I would at least look at plasmas before you write them off. Yes, they are dim in the stores but they look MUCH better in most home environments.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
expalin why the 60" LED LCDs are worse than the 55" please.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
ps34eva

·
Registered
6,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc /forum/post/18310478

expalin why the 60" LED LCDs are worse than the 55" please.

Didn't say the 60" LED LCDs are worse than the 55'ers. I said the current 60"+ LCDs aren't as good (which I didn't specify but I mean the top end CCFL and local dimming LEDs). There's only been a handful of LCDs at 60" and above before the 2010 models which I don't think are out and thinking of the Sharp models wouldn't be my choice.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I agree. How muchl onger until we see a purchaseable 60-63" model?

I sit about 14ft away and want to play wii. I own a 52" samsung LCD that's great but a little small at my seating distance. 60-63" is all I can afford. I hope they hover around $2000-2500 price range?

I was contemplating Plasma because of that, I'm not sure - some plasma have gotten relatively thin but their energy consumption is still high and some have reflection issues. Thoughts?

·
Registered
147 Posts
You could pickup a 65" S1 Panny plasma for that price range. Probably good deals on them now as S2s starting to arrive.

The room that the tv is going into, is it very bright (lots of sunlight)? If it's a bright room and/or you prefer the look of LCD, then maybe check out a Sharp LC-60E77UN.

Those are the two best bang for your buck 60"+ options I can think of for you.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
it's the morning room, it has a decent amount of sunlight. I will not do critical watching at night with it - it will be for guests and wii/ps3 playing during the day.

Looking into the Sharp now, appears to be an LED set?

·
Registered
147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc /forum/post/18327643

it's the morning room, it has a decent amount of sunlight. I will not do critical watching at night with it - it will be for guests and wii/ps3 playing during the day.

Looking into the Sharp now, appears to be an LED set?

It's not LED...it's CCFL-based. It seems to have high accolades as a gaming LCD though, due to its low input lag compared to other sets.

Sharp E77U Series -- THE Gaming LCD -- in-depth lag review
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1148374

Owners thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=sharp

Hometheatermag.com review
http://hometheatermag.com/flat-panel...77un_lcd_hdtv/

And to top it off, you can find it easily for under $2k! Quite a deal imo.

P.S. I don't own an LCD set or any kind of Sharp TV -- I've simply been doing market research for a few months, anticipating the replacement of my aging 61" Samsung DLP. I've just seen a lot of good reviews & info on this one and the price is pretty sweet.

Go to the store and check them out in person. A lot of the discount clubs carry this model. If it looks good to your eyes and the price is right, just buy it and enjoy it

·
Registered
1,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood /forum/post/18330450

LCDs larger than 55-inches stink when it comes to picture quality and cost out the wazoo.

You are speaking in ignorance. Go read the reviews of the 60 inch Sony EX500 and EX700. I've seen them personally and agree with most other observers: they are excellent and the price is quite reasonable for what you get.

·
Banned
350 Posts
I just bought a Sharp Aquos 60" LC60E77UN for $2.5k today

Nice clear picture, nice color and luminosity. This set will keep me happy for the next 5 to 7 years which is the lifespan of TV in my home.

I was going for a Sony NX800 but Sonystyle wouldn't deliver one to me before July so I went back to my first choice. I did considered Plasma for a while but in the Futureshop showroom (which was quite dark BTW) the Sharp Aquos won the day.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts