AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a 65" HDTV in the next month.

I'm between the Mitsubishi WS-65807 and the Toshiba 65H80. The Mitsi is pricing about $400 cheaper...so I'm leaning towards that one. I already own a 32" Toshiba and love it, so I'm looking at the 65H80 as well. I'm guessing the price difference is from the difference in lines of resolution? The Toshibas go up to 1600, while the Mitsi's only do 1200. I'm a newbie at this stuff, but I know that will make a difference in watching HDTV broadcasts, but will those extra lines of resolution make a difference when watching a DVD or just regular cable? Can anyone tell me other difference that would make the extra $400 worth it to get for the Toshiba?

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have the Toshiba TW65X81 which is the predecessor to the 65H80. I was looking at the Mits and Tosh as you are and chose the Toshiba just because it claimed 1600 lines versus Mits 1200. I have not been disapointed. The Toshiba has an incredible picture. You have to get 4' from the screen to see pixles on good HD sources.

Just my opinion.

Rick

·
Registered
78 Posts
Pay a little bit more and get the Tosh.

You will not be disappointed like Rick_R indicated.

I got the 56H80... House too small to put in the 65".

The 65H80 has the equivalent of the 65857 in lense

quality.... So if you get the 65807, you will have a

lower end of the lense setup [it is not bad, but not

exactly apple to apple comparison though].

But either way, you will have a winner.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
jdiehl,

9" guns make a HUGE difference. I've seen most of the 7" gunned sets and they just don't compare to the quality of the 9". With 9" guns and good design, you get all the resolution contained within the HD signal. The 7" guns, although capable of fine pictures, can not possibly resolve all of the detail in the HD picture. Check it out for yourself.

·
Registered
78 Posts
jdiehl,

Both the 56" and 65" Tosh use the same 7" gun.

The only main difference is the size of the screen. [and $]

I was not referring to the size of the gun, but the element

of the gun. If I remember properly, the Tosh and the Mits 857/907

series use a 6 element lense instead of the 4 element lense in the

Mits 807 model. The 6 element lense will produce one of the sharpest

picture available. Remember all the CRT lenses come from one manufacture.

So as long as the lense type is the same, the picture should look the same.

But of course, it isn't true in reality.... since most TV manufactures used

different components/designs to produce the final product.

At least that was what my local store sales manager

explained to me....

Correct me if I am wrong now.... I am a rookie here too... ya know. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dipper,

I'll read you what it says in the 2001 Mitsi catalog:

65807- 7" Microfine Phosphor Electrostatic Dynamic High Resolution 5-element Hybrid

65857- 7" MicroFine Phosphor Electrostatic Dynamic EDF 5-element Hybrid

From what the sales guy said, the difference is that you get better focus in the corners with the EDF version in the higher dollar model. Also, it adds a VGA input and some extra home theater options...none of which I'm interested in.

The Toshiba has a 6-element CTR, so I guess that is the price point difference.

Ken- I've heard the same thing said about 7" guns vs the 9" ones. Can you recommend a model in either brand that has the 9" one? Also, is there a significant price increase? thanks

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MonkeyMafia:
Dude, 9" gunned sets are significantly more expensive than 7" gunned sets.

MMafia
My take is, if you are worrying over the Mits or the Tosh, than don't even think about 9" gunned sets - they are waaaaayyy out of your range. Cheapest one I know of is made by Philips - 9 grand. Looks really good, but that's twice the price you are talking about.

------------------

Ix

(Ix is the planet of technology in the book Dune, for the non sci-fi geeks out there)
My Opinions may be wrong when compared to yours

View pics of my Home Theater & more at:
www.maximumgamer.com

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Nope. Best deal is the Mits WS-73907. 73" 16:9 with 9" guns. It can be had for $7049 here or here . The cabinet also breaks up in two parts for easy transport.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

[This message has been edited by vruiz (edited 03-07-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz:
Nope. Best deal is the Mits WS-73907. 73" 16:9 with 9" guns. It can be had for $7049 here or here . The cabinet also breaks up in two parts for easy transport.

My point was, and is, that $9k or $7k for 9" guns, it's still way out of the price range this guy is talking about.

------------------

Ix

(Ix is the planet of technology in the book Dune, for the non sci-fi geeks out there)

www.maximumgamer.com

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I heard it from a salesperson, so it must be true! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The Toshiba 56H80 (and presumably 65H80) has 64-point convergence.

CBS is broadcasting almost all its primetime shows in 1920x1080i. Due to filtering on the receiver side, you don't need 1920 lines of horizontal resolution to display that - a bit over 1600 would be about all that's any use.

I watched a Sencore hard drive HDTV feed on a 56H80 side-by-side with a Philips 55PP9701. The Philips set appeared to have significantly higher resolution than the Toshiba. According to an independent study, the Philips set has 1600 lines of horizontal resolution. So, I doubt the 56H80 has 1600 lines. I can't speak for the 65H80, though.

-Abdul

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Abdul- According the 2001 Toshiba catalog in my hand, both the 56 and 65 list 1600 lines of resolution.

As for the VGA input in the higher end Mitsi, I doubt I would ever use this option. I have an awesome 21" monitor on my computer and even if I got the notion to plug my PC into the HDTV, I would avoid doing it because of the burn in risks.

Thanks for the 9" info guys, that is definetely out of my price range (wanted to stay below 5K).

As for Toshiba vs Mitsi, I'm still up in the air. The Mitsi is only $3155 + $29 for delivery and setup. I have not found that set (65807) cheaper on the internet, especially when you add in shipping charges (which would offset the ~$200 in tax that I'll pay locally).

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jdiehl:
Abdul- According the 2001 Toshiba catalog in my hand, both the 56 and 65 list 1600 lines of resolution.

As for the VGA input in the higher end Mitsi, I doubt I would ever use this option. I have an awesome 21" monitor on my computer and even if I got the notion to plug my PC into the HDTV, I would avoid doing it because of the burn in risks.

Thanks for the 9" info guys, that is definetely out of my price range (wanted to stay below 5K).

As for Toshiba vs Mitsi, I'm still up in the air. The Mitsi is only $3155 + $29 for delivery and setup. I have not found that set (65807) cheaper on the internet, especially when you add in shipping charges (which would offset the ~$200 in tax that I'll pay locally).
No no no no no no no. Do not write off the VGA input that quickly. It is NOT just for HTPC's. In fact, plugging an HTPC into that port is just a side benefit - it's not what they put it there for.

The RGB sub-15 port (which is really what we are talking about, "VGA" is just a generic term people use) is really for devices such as an HTDV decoder or an external line doubler. The Silicon Image iScan Pro, for example, only has RGB out. If you don't have RGB in you have to buy a converter cable and some folks report the image isn't quite as good. And with either the Toshiba OR the Mits, you are probably going to want an external LD like the iScan because the built in one isn't so hot. Check the Video Processors forum here on AVS for a ton more information.

You can buy some devices, such as the Dish 6000 HDTV receiver, that have both sub-15 and component out, but it's universally recommended to use the sub-15 port if you have one. In fact one of the issues that many folks have is they don't have ENOUGH sub-15 ports and buy switchers. That should tell you something right there.

Finally, to make a statement such as "Don't want to hook up an HTPC because of burn in issues" tells me you haven't actually looked into what an HTPC can do for you. There's a whole forum here dedicated to them, and let me tell you, there has never been even one reported case of burn in with one. Come to think of it, I can't think of a single case of burn in reported for ANY RPTV in the last few years with ANY device. You really have to work at it to burn one of those. Frankly I think the whole burn-in risk issue is a bunch of FUD.

Cheers,

------------------

Ix

www.maximumgamer.com

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
I did a side by side comparison of the Tosh, Mits, and Pioneer at the store with the salesman. We used a dtc-100 on channel 199 of dtv. The Mits was far superior to the Tosh and Pioneer (non elite series). Double check on the claimed 1600 lines of resolution on the Tosh, my salesman and others have said Toshs claim of 1600 res is "fuzzy math". I read in a post a few weeks back that some manufacts. such as Tosh were misleading when calculating their actual resolution. Their actual resolution was closer to 800 in reality. Go with the Mits or a Pioneer.

------------------

Kipp

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Abdul Jalib:
I heard it from a salesperson, so it must be true! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The Toshiba 56H80 (and presumably 65H80) has 64-point convergence.

CBS is broadcasting almost all its primetime shows in 1920x1080i. Due to filtering on the receiver side, you don't need 1920 lines of horizontal resolution to display that - a bit over 1600 would be about all that's any use.

I watched a Sencore hard drive HDTV feed on a 56H80 side-by-side with a Philips 55PP9701. The Philips set appeared to have significantly higher resolution than the Toshiba. According to an independent study, the Philips set has 1600 lines of horizontal resolution. So, I doubt the 56H80 has 1600 lines. I can't speak for the 65H80, though.

-Abdul
It's not that I don't agree with you, but you aren't going to win any arguments with that evidence - it's way to subjective. There could have been many external factors, such as perhaps the Philips being properly calibrated and the Toshiba not, that contributed to your perception. What will really solve the resolution debate is having someone here scope both sets. It may have even already happened, I haven't searched the forum.

------------------

Ix

www.maximumgamer.com

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am a owner of the WS-65807 (for about two months)so my opinion my be a little biased, lol. I have been EXTREMELY happy with my purchase, and if I had to choose again I would buy the same TV. I am using a DTC-100 system for Directv HDTV and OTA signals. The menus are very user friendly, and there are many ways to tweak your Mits if you want to get the best out of your system. Head over to www.***************.com and read some threads on the Mits / Toshiba. You may be leaning towards the Mits after you dig in a little deeper. It is definetly worth your time!

jafo

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, thanks for that latest info guys. The sales rep at the store I went to was a little clueless (although they do have some of the best prices in town). He really couldn't tell me what the VGA input is for. I think I'll try and find a few more local dealers and go stroke them about which TV to buy....then go back to the other store with the awesome prices (since they aren't paying their newbie sales reps too much, hehe).

·
Registered
782 Posts
cvandyke00,

you can get 64 point convergence on the toshiba via the service menu. the 9 point is the only 'user' accessible convergence adjustment.

so from a 'user' standpoint, i guess the mits wins here. i justed had to mention that the tosh can be dialed in pretty accurately w/ the 64pt service convergence.

sean

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.