AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked out the TC-P42X3 at Best Buy. Blacks weren't that dark, maybe contrast just needs adjusting. Picture mode was set at dynamic.

But I'm curious about the TC-P42C2 which is last year's model. Could that be better ? Panny fans chime in.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
In the 720p category, IMO, the Samsung PN43D450 is the better choice. But in the higher end models, you could give the nod to Panasonic with the ST30 and GT30 ranking over the D6500 and D7000. That's where the debate really begins.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evizion /forum/post/20677316

I checked out the TC-P42X3 at Best Buy. Blacks weren't that dark, maybe contrast just needs adjusting. Picture mode was set at dynamic.

But I'm curious about the TC-P42C2 which is last year's model. Could that be better ? Panny fans chime in.

Thanks.

Pretty much the same set with the X3 having a few more features like internet connectivity. I have a 46'' C2 and it's pq would probably surprise many members of this forum, but I spend a lot of time calibrating it properly.

Ian

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have the TC-P42X3, picked it up for a great price from Panasonic EPP with free shipping. The TV looked pretty bad in the stores, but looks great at home.

The out of the box settings were horrible, but I spent about 15 minutes tweaking color, contrast, brightness and color temp and now I am very happy with it.

The Netflix app is pretty good, the only weakness is that it limits all categories except for user queue to 25 titles. It also doesn't currently support a search feature for Netflix.

It also supports DLNA for streaming video off a media server, I've had kinda mixed results with this so far but didn't play with it much.

If you find it under $500 (you should be able to) I'd say its a great deal and probably the lowest price TV with the biggest screen you will find for the money with integrated Netflix (if that is something you will use).

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beestea
I have the TC-P42X3, picked it up for a great price from Panasonic EPP with free shipping. The TV looked pretty bad in the stores, but looks great at home.

The out of the box settings were horrible, but I spent about 15 minutes tweaking color, contrast, brightness and color temp and now I am very happy with it.

The Netflix app is pretty good, the only weakness is that it limits all categories except for user queue to 25 titles. It also doesn't currently support a search feature for Netflix.

It also supports DLNA for streaming video off a media server, I've had kinda mixed results with this so far but didn't play with it much.

If you find it under $500 (you should be able to) I'd say its a great deal and probably the lowest price TV with the biggest screen you will find for the money with integrated Netflix (if that is something you will use).

The entry level Panny's have received too much bad press on this forum. You can not judge these TV's by what you see on display. If you take the time to tweak the settings under proper lighting conditions, you will realize these are pretty good sets.

Ian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Beestea,

I've been deciding between the TC-P42X3, LG 42PT350 and the Samsung PN43D450A2D plasma sets. But I'm partial to Panny.

When you lowered brightness, did the faded black disappear ? The ST30 series is amazing. Black is really deep even under full store lighting. But of course, Best Buy and Panasonic has a separate exhibit for this puppy along with its own blu ray content for display.

Thanks.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evizion /forum/post/20686731

Hi Beestea,

I've been deciding between the TC-P42X3, LG 42PT350 and the Samsung PN43D450A2D plasma sets. But I'm partial to Panny.

When you lowered brightness, did the faded black disappear ? The ST30 series is amazing. Black is really deep even under full store lighting. But of course, Best Buy and Panasonic has a separate exhibit for this puppy along with its own blu ray content for display.

Thanks.

You know... I think it was either the brightness or contrast, but the out of the box configuration was set at 100/full! I couldn't believe it. Also out of the box I found the color to be way too warm, and colors were over saturated. Of all of the displays I have purchased (plasma, lcd, lcd front projector) I'd say the out of the box settings on this set were the worst I've ever encountered. Don't get discouraged tho... it wasn't something I had to sit and tweak and nit pick for a week before I was happy, it was litterally about 15 minutes of putting the standard settings on sane levels to achieve a good picture.

I view the tv mostly in a dark bedroom at night and will say the blacks levels are really good once you tone down all of the factory settings. If you will be using the TV in a dark room I think you will be completely happy. I can't really comment on performance in a bright room as I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beestea /forum/post/20687906

You know... I think it was either the brightness or contrast, but the out of the box configuration was set at 100/full! I couldn't believe it. Also out of the box I found the color to be way too warm, and colors were over saturated. Of all of the displays I have purchased (plasma, lcd, lcd front projector) I'd say the out of the box settings on this set were the worst I've ever encountered. Don't get discouraged tho... it wasn't something I had to sit and tweak and nit pick for a week before I was happy, it was litterally about 15 minutes of putting the standard settings on sane levels to achieve a good picture.

I view the tv mostly in a dark bedroom at night and will say the blacks levels are really good once you tone down all of the factory settings. If you will be using the TV in a dark room I think you will be completely happy. I can't really comment on performance in a bright room as I haven't tried it.

I've used the C2 in both dark and bright lighting conditions and it works fine. I suggest using the custom mode for the best contrast and color accuracy.

Ian

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
On display and out of the box the Samsung looks better. The Panny can look just as good with a little tweaking and imho should offer better image-retention/burn in resistance and last longer.

Out of the box and on display I like the X3 better than the C2, but again this is probably more a matter of adjustment than anything else--I trust Mailiang in this respect.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have owned the Samsung PN42C450 or about 9 months and love it. Purchased the TC-P42X3 3 days ago and I'm impressed.

At this point the Sammy is my first love and have adjusted settings thanks to the great advise of Pendragon of these boards. Haven't found many posts on Panny Calibration and I welcome advise. Both TVs are great values.

The TC-P42X3 Ethernet port is very nice.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryan49 /forum/post/20694212

I have owned the Samsung PN42C450 or about 9 months and love it. Purchased the TC-P42X3 3 days ago and I'm impressed.

At this point the Sammy is my first love and have adjusted settings thanks to the great advise of Pendragon of these boards. Haven't found many posts on Panny Calibration and I welcome advise. Both TVs are great values.

The TC-P42X3 Ethernet port is very nice.

I always recommend a good calibration disc. You can even down load one from this site. However C-net offers some very good set up tips:

http://reviews.cnet.com/basic-hdtv-tips/

Ian

·
Registered
8,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeee87 /forum/post/20937866

Sorry to bump, but do any og you guys mind sharing your custom settings for the X3?

These panels are not blue-printed so to speak. As with any mass produced TV there will be slight differences with the picture settings. That being said, here are the calibrated settings for my 46'' C2 in the custom mode, which as I mentioned earlier, shares the same panel as the X3. You can try these as a starting point, but for your particular set, they may have to be tweaked.

All auto picture controls off. (3:2 pull down set to auto)

Contrast: 80

Brightness: 54

Tint: 0

Color: 44

Sharpness: 30

Color Temp: Normal

Ian

·
Registered
84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang /forum/post/20939261

These panels are not blue-printed so to speak. As with any mass produced TV there will be slight differences with the picture settings. That being said, here are the calibrated settings for my 46'' C2 in the custom mode, which as I mentioned earlier, shares the same panel as the X3. You can try these as a starting point, but for your particular set, they may have to be tweaked.

All auto picture controls off. (3:2 pull down set to auto)

Contrast: 80

Brightness: 54

Tint: 0

Color: 44

Sharpness: 30

Color Temp: Normal

Ian

would the 50PV450

settings be a good starting point for this set also?

·
Registered
8,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeee87 /forum/post/20939284

would the 50PV450

settings be a good starting point for this set also?

No. Not even close. You're referring to not only a different model, with a different panel, but a different manufacturer entirely.

Ian

·
Registered
84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang /forum/post/20939318

No. Not even close. You're referring to not only a different model, with a different panel, but a different manufacturer entirely.

Ian

my mistake, I had two different tabs open lol.

I'm deciding between a 42 inch 720p LG,Panasonic,or Samsungs 43 inch for my bedroom.

I had a panny S30 with the Fluctuating black issues, and wasn't sure if this model(the X3) had the same problem or if it was addressed with the latest firmware update?

I can get the X3 for a good deal at costco right now.

The other two choices (samsung and lg) I would be getting on amazon.

What I like about the LG is it has a vga input, which the panny and Samsung offerings don't(the samsung 3d 490 does have vga but costs more).

I just don't want to sacrifice picture quality solely for a vga input.

Or get a tv with FBR issues and no VGA input(the panny).

Sorry to derail this thread but any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeee87 /forum/post/20939374

my mistake, I had two different tabs open lol.

I'm deciding between a 42 inch 720p LG,Panasonic,or Samsungs 43 inch for my bedroom.

I had a panny S30 with the Fluctuating black issues, and wasn't sure if this model(the X3) had the same problem or if it was addressed with the latest firmware update?

I can get the X3 for a good deal at costco right now.

The other two choices (samsung and lg) I would be getting on amazon.

What I like about the LG is it has a vga input, which the panny and Samsung offerings don't(the samsung 3d 490 does have vga but costs more).

I just don't want to sacrifice picture quality solely for a vga input.

Or get a tv with FBR issues and no VGA input(the panny).

Sorry to derail this thread but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, I prefer Panasonic over Samsung as far a over all quality. However, I really like the picture on the 43'' Sammy. As far as LG is concerned, they are still Gold Star to me.

Ian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts