Premium Member
6,946 Posts

The Chemical Brothers-Dig Your Own Hole
Jan. 1997

File under: Electronic

·
Registered
687 Posts
Prince - Vault Tracks I, CD. From the 1999 box set, first listen. A collection of officially unreleased tracks and alternate takes. I don't know how much of this might have been bootlegged, but I haven't heard any of it. The booklet has notes for each track but I haven't had a chance to go through it yet. Sweet stuff for a Prince fan with the fabulous mastering that seems to be the hallmark of this set.
Morgan

·
Premium Member
6,946 Posts

Aphex Twin-Girl/Boy EP
Oct. 1996

File under: Acid House, Electronic

Reactions: Rodrigues_Brazil

·
Premium Member
15,824 Posts
vinyl

My Life For a Song is an album by Plácido Domingo, released in 1983.

José Plácido Domingo Embil KBE (born 21 January 1941) is a Spanish opera singer, conductor and arts administrator. He has recorded over a hundred complete operas and is well known for his versatility, regularly performing in Italian, French, German, Spanish, English and Russian in the most prestigious opera houses in the world.

Domingo has also achieved significant success as a crossover artist, especially in the genres of Latin and popular music. In addition to winning fourteen Grammy and Latin Grammy Awards. His first pop album, Perhaps Love (1981), spread his fame beyond the opera world. The title song, performed as a duet with country and folk singer John Denver, has sold almost four million copies.

By 1982 Newsweek declared Domingo "King Of The Opera" on its cover. The magazine's featured article, which recounted and analyzed his career, praised the singer for his "heroic voice, superb musicianship, fine acting skills and dashing Latin good looks".

In 1990, he began singing with fellow tenors Luciano Pavarotti and José Carreras as part of The Three Tenors. The first Three Tenors recording became the best-selling classical album of all time.

He was the artistic director then general director of the Washington National Opera from 1996–2011.

In August 2019, Domingo was accused by multiple women of sexual harassment. Eight singers and a dancer said that Domingo sexually harassed them in incidents that spanned three decades from the late 1980s. The Associated Press reported speaking to "almost three dozen other singers, dancers, orchestra musicians, members of backstage staff, voice teachers and an administrator who said they witnessed inappropriate sexually tinged behavior by Domingo". Domingo issued a statement, stating "The allegations from these unnamed individuals dating back as many as 30 years are deeply troubling, and as presented, inaccurate".

In September 2019, the Metropolitan Opera announced it would be ending its relationship with Domingo in light of the allegations of sexual harassment. Domingo issued a statement: "While I strongly dispute recent allegations made about me...upon reflection, I believe that my appearance in this production of Macbeth would distract from the hard work of my colleagues both on stage and behind the scenes."

In October 2019, Domingo resigned as general director of the Los Angeles Opera, and withdrew from all forthcoming performances.

Domingo turns 79 this month.
Autographed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,824 Posts
vinyl

For the Good Times is an album by Jim Nabors, released in 1970.

James Thurston Nabors (June 12, 1930 – November 30, 2017) was an American actor, singer, and comedian, born and raised in Sylacauga, Alabama. After graduating from the University of Alabama, he moved to New York City, where he worked as a typist for the United Nations. After a year, he moved to Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he got his first job in the television industry as a film cutter. Because of his asthma, Nabors moved to Los Angeles and worked as a film cutter for NBC.

Andy Griffith discovered Nabors performing at a tavern and hired him to play a one-shot role of Gomer Pyle, a dimwitted gas station attendant on The Andy Griffith Show. His character became so popular that he was made a regular on the show and was later given the spin-off show Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., in which his character joined the Marines. Gomer Pyle remained popular despite the concurrence of the Vietnam War because the show avoided war-related themes and instead focused on the character's rural roots and the relationship between Pyle and Sgt Vince Carter (Frank Sutton).

"Gomer Pyle" received an honorary promotion to Lance Corporal from the Commandant of the Marine Corps James L. Jones in 2001, and in 2007, he was promoted from Lance Corporal to Corporal. Jim Nabors was made an honorary Sergeant during the 238th Marine Corps birthday ball celebration in 2013, by the Commandant of the Marine Corps.

In 1976, he moved from Bel Air, California, to Honolulu, Hawaii. For 25 years, he owned a macadamia plantation on Maui before selling it to the National Tropical Botanical Garden, a conservationist organization, though he still retained farming rights and a second home on the property.

Nabors appeared in three feature-length films starring his friend Burt Reynolds: The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1982), Stroker Ace (1983), and Cannonball Run II (1984).

In 1994, Nabors suffered from a near-fatal case of hepatitis B. He contracted the disease while traveling in India; cutting his face when shaving with a straight razor. The disease caused liver failure, and Nabors was given a dim prognosis; however, his friend Carol Burnett made an arrangement with the transplant division of UCLA and secured Nabors a liver transplant.

From 1972 to 2014, Nabors sang "Back Home Again in Indiana" before each Indianapolis 500 race.

In 2013, Nabors married his partner of 38 years, Stan Cadwallader, in Seattle, Washington, a month after same-sex marriage became legal in Washington.

Nabors died at his Honolulu, Hawaii, home on November 30, 2017, aged 87.
Autographed. :cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,824 Posts
vinyl

Run, Lucifer is the second album by Adna, released in 2015.

Adna Kadic’s music feels as cold as the Baltic at night, painted against a sombre landscape with stirring, heartfelt lyrics. The young Swedish singer’s emotionally-tinged songs bring the softly-voiced star to larger-than-life proportions through hallowed and crushing soliloquies to the night.

Performed on the piano and guitar, Adna’s songs lead with the heart and are poignant and intensely moving. Originally from Gothenburg and now residing in Berlin, the Swedish singer racked up 20 million Spotify plays by the age of 21, with two full-length albums to her name, the latest of which, Run, Lucifer, was released on Despotz Records in 2015. With northern, Scandinavian candour and a subtle approach to song writing, Adna has understandably been compared to the likes of Bon Iver and Daughter. Her music portrays the openness that only a young, gifted songstress can, exposing an opaque world through her gentle, tender arrangements.

Since the release of her debut LP Night, Adna’s melancholic approach to music has been causing a global sensation. Her follow-up Run, Lucifer embedded more electronic instrumentation into the honest and humble sound, creating a record that was more diverse and ultimately more grandiose. A third album, Closure, [was released in] 2017.

medium.com Interview:
Her latest album Run, Lucifer is without a doubt the most beautiful music I heard so far this year.

“Nobody in my family plays music. I didn’t really grow up with music. When I was nine or ten years old, I had to change schools because I was bullied”. Her parents heard about this music school. Though Adna was not very confident about the application process she gave it a try — thankfully. And she began to study everything that music can offer. It was not a passionate thing back then but in her second year of music high school it changed. “It just happened. I saw something beyond the theory I studied since I was nine years old”.

Adna’s parents fled from the war in the Balkan to Sweden. Two hearts beat in her chest: a Swedish and a Bosnian. “The religious music from Bosnia is very melancholic. And something in this melancholia feels very much like home. So every time I play music I feel like home”, Adna explains.

“I guess I am a melancholic person. I believe that everyone is melancholic. We all have darkness in our souls. Maybe it’s easier to deny it. I just can’t ignore it”.

When Adna performs, it seems like there are two personalities on stage. There is this shy girl, folding her arms above the head, announcing the next song with this innocent voice. But as soon as she begins to play, Adna transforms into a strong and confident woman–invincible in the way she expresses herself. “I find it very hard to stand in front of an audience, mostly because I don’t see myself as a front person at all. The side of me appearing between the songs is just the one so grateful have been given music”.​
Autographed. :cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,824 Posts
vinyl

Echoes of Slovenia is an album by Florence Unetich and Angela Zabjek, released in 1976.

Slovenian folk music is a form of polka that is still popular today. The Divje Babe flute, an artifact found in a cave near Cerkno, Slovenia, is possibly the oldest known musical instrument ever. Its age is estimated at approximately 55,000 years.

Typical Slovenian folk music is performed on Styrian harmonica (the oldest type of accordion), fiddle, clarinet, zithers, flute, and brass instruments.

Florence Unetich Luce, age 88, a lifelong resident of Cleveland, a retired English teacher, died Sept. 27, 2010. She was born Nov. 12, 1921. At the age of 40, she enrolled at Ohio State University and graduated in 1967 with a bachelor of science degree in education and with a master's degree in English in 1972. Florence started singing with her singing partner, Angie Zabjek at age 14. The duet was known as the "Slovenian Songbirds." This partnership lasted for more than 70 years. She was awarded the Cultural Heritage Award by the Cleveland Polka Hall of Fame in 1994.
Autographed by Florence Unetich and Angela Zabjek. :cool:

I couldn't pass on this one after my wife and I drove though Slovenia last month on our way from Prague to Budapest.
Cleveland is evidently the national hotspot for Polka. I'm adding that to our itinerary when we visit the Rock & Roll HoF.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,824 Posts
vinyl

We'll Stick Together is an album by Kitty Wells & Johnny Wright, released in 1968.

Ellen Muriel Deason (August 30, 1919 – July 16, 2012), known professionally as Kitty Wells, was an American pioneering female country music singer. She broke down a female barrier in country music with her 1952 hit recording, "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels" which also made her the first female country singer to top the U.S. country charts.

Wells is the sixth-most successful female vocalist in the history of the Billboard country charts and the only artist to be awarded top female vocalist for 14 consecutive years.

In 1976, she was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.

In 1991, she became the third country music artist, after Roy Acuff and Hank Williams, and the eighth woman to receive the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. Wells' success and influence on country music garnered her a title 'Queen of Country Music'.

Kitty Wells, at the age of 18, married Johnnie Wright in 1937. She was widowed 33 days before their 74th wedding anniversary when Johnnie died in 2011, aged 97.

Kitty Wells died from complications of a stroke in 2012. She was 92. She is buried in Nashville, Tennessee, alongside her husband.
Autographed by Kitty & Johnny. They stuck together for over 73 years. :cool:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Boston

Boston

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,826 Posts
Boston