AVS Forum banner

8661 - 8680 of 10409 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Yuja Wang - The Berlin Recital, CD. First listen. Listening to it because Panson told me to. :) Good thing, too, excellent album. I had never heard of her and there's a reasonable chance I had never heard any of these pieces before, certainly not to sit down to listen to. Wang's technique is remarkable, precise and nuanced. There is quite a variety to the pieces and she impressively handles them all. A live recording, apparently, but didn't hear any noise from the audience until applause at the end of the last piece. Didn't notice any room noise, either.
Morgan
Pleased to hear you enjoyed, thanks for review. A good cross-section of her solo repertoire.

Not to be overbearing. Two more Wang (below) to consider for exceptional performance and sound in other genre. I'd stop there, so not to overload on one artist. Plenty of good alternatives in the sea of classical music. :cool:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young​
Déjà Vu​

These boys could sing serious Harmony, so good

·
Registered
682 Posts
The Pointer Sisters, 44.1/16 FLAC. The Pointer Sisters founding member, Bonnie Pointer, passed away yesterday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/bonnie-pointer-early-member-of-pointer-sisters-dies-at-69-1.5603778

She left the group before their huge success in the '80s but led them through their much more interesting, and also quite successful, '70s period. (The '70s included the debut of what must be their most well known track, Sesame Streets' Pinball Number Count, sing it with me now: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. Bet only the oldest of fogies here didn't have the Pointer's voices in their head reading that. :) )
This debut album presents them as a sort of funky Andrews Sisters mixing Swing with Funk and Blues is various different ways. Having said that, the harmonizing is similar but I don't recall The Andrews Sisters ever engaging in the sorts of complicated vocal interactions that are featured here. Impressive and enjoyable.
Morgan

·
Registered
682 Posts
Taj Mahal - In Progress & In Motion: 1965-1998 (Disc 2), CD. One of the many fine features of this career (at the point of it's release) spanning collection is several unreleased live tracks on the second disc featuring The Pointer Sisters. It's just Mahal on lead vocals and acoustic guitar and the Pointers (with another male voice occasionally harmonizing for a few seconds or shouting a well placed "Hey") sharing what appears to be a common interest in old timey music. If that sounds good to you I can assure you it's even better than you imagine. The interactions between the Sisters and Mahal and even his guitar are frankly amazing.
Morgan

·
Registered
682 Posts
Pleased to hear you enjoyed, thanks for review. A good cross-section of her solo repertoire.

Not to be overbearing. Two more Wang (below) to consider for exceptional performance and sound in other genre. I'd stop there, so not to overload on one artist. Plenty of good alternatives in the sea of classical music. :cool:

Good, I'll keep those in mind. Almost picked-up that Franck and Chopin disc at the same time but decided to wait. Good to know it's a good choice.
Thanks,
Morgan.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Taj Mahal - In Progress & In Motion: 1965-1998 (Disc 2), CD. One of the many fine features of this career (at the point of it's release) spanning collection is several unreleased live tracks on the second disc featuring The Pointer Sisters. It's just Mahal on lead vocals and acoustic guitar and the Pointers (with another male voice occasionally harmonizing for a few seconds or shouting a well placed "Hey") sharing what appears to be a common interest in old timey music. If that sounds good to you I can assure you it's even better than you imagine. The interactions between the Sisters and Mahal and even his guitar are frankly amazing.
Morgan
Saw The Pointer Sisters (June, Ruth, Anita) twice (70s-80s). High energy, maybe unmatched. June & Bonnie R.I.P.

The Pointer Sisters master tapes were destroyed in the 2008 Universal fire.

·
Premium Member
15,814 Posts
vinyl

Subsequent Pleasures is the first mini-album by Dutch dark wave band Clan of Xymox, self-released in 1983 under the band's original name Xymox.

It was limited to 500 copies, with most destroyed by the band, so very few copies remain in existence. In 2014, Dark Entries reissued the EP with only the original five tracks.

The combination of dreamy minor harmonies, Ambient, Pop and Electro Dance fused together with the elegance of the 4AD label, made Clan of XYMOX a rare event in the independent wave scene of the 80s.

Inspired by the musical spirit of optimism and the idea of DIY punk, Ronny Moorings began a self-glued tape loop experiment. German New Wave provided stimulus through artists like DAF, Geisterfahrer and Einstürzende Neubauten. At the same time, the British post-punk movement, including Bauhaus, Virgin Prunes, The Cure and Joy Division, spread to the European mainland and also left their mark on Ronny Moorings. But working at night to tapes that no one would ever hear was not enough for him. He wanted his own band, and to be part of this New Wave.

Shortly after, he met Anke Wolbert. They decided to make music together, and called themselves "XYMOX" (a variation of "Zymotic", a word which, in capital letters, has a striking, barbed wire-like appearance). Anke played bass, Ronny guitar and synthesizer, and with the help of a drum machine, they worked out a few songs based on simple chords. In Nijmegen, The Netherlands, Ronny shared his flat with a new roommate named Pieter Nooten, who sported short, punk-like dyed hair - and also owned some synthesizers, a drum machine and a four track recorder.

After moving to Amsterdam, Ronny and Anke together wrote the material for their first EP "Subsequent Pleasures". The mini-album shows a very raw and minimalist version of XYMOX. Simple drum beats, with a few chords dominated by either synths ("Going Round", "Call It Weird") or guitar ("Strange 9 to 9", "Muscoviet Mosquito", "Absymal Thoughts"). The songs were orchestrated very sparingly yet, in their incompleteness, are very charming. While Ronny sang most of the songs, in a Cure-like voice suffering the world's pain, Anke took on the vocals of "Call It Weird". In a thin voice, she sings around the synthesizers in an endless loop, creating a strange atmosphere divided between hypnotic, psychedelic and amateurish. Even more radical is "Going Round", with loops like a never-ending carousel ride in a drunken stupor.

Yet both songs, like the whole EP, have become classics of Minimal Wave. In retrospect, the band looked back at this EP as a "youthful sin" and destroyed many of the 500 copies [4], which could explain why this original mini-album now trades for astronomical prices at record fairs.

The album was released in June 1985. By then, the band's name was still XYMOX; it was only after the release of the album called "Clan of XYMOX", the band's name matched its title. The name lasted for the next 2 years. "Clan of XYMOX" fused British gloom with continental electro beats, and despite all its haunting melancholy and glorified grief, it also exhibited great pop-mindedness. The lead vocals by all three band members made the album sound very diverse, without managing to hide their love altogether for bands like New Order or The Cure. In its best moments (and there are many on the album), XYMOX creates a perfect blend of intense atmosphere, with distant dramatics and alienated Wave guitars merged with synth sounds, until one no longer knows which is guitar or which is synthesizer.
Autographed. :cool:

I don't know which I like more... autographed albums that everyone recognizes and loves, or finding obscure ones that I love from decades past and almost no one else knows. Huge bonus points if anyone else is inspired to dig out their Xymox. If you appreciate early Cure like Seventeen Seconds, search this one out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,814 Posts
vinyl

Prince is the eponymous second studio album by American recording artist Prince, released in 1979.

The album was written, arranged, composed, produced and performed entirely by Prince, with the only known contribution from another person being "some vocal harmony" added by close friend/bassist André Cymone on Track 2.

Singles:
"I Wanna Be Your Lover"
"Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?"
"Still Waiting"
"Sexy Dancer"

Also includes "I Feel for You"; the most successful and well known version was recorded by female R&B singer Chaka Khan, appearing on her 1984 album, I Feel for You. Prince, as songwriter, won the 1985 Grammy Award for Best R&B Song. The Pointer Sisters recorded the song in 1982, two years before Khan's version was a hit.

·
Registered
8,527 Posts
King Crimson - The Nightwatch

The Night Watch is a terrific live album capturing the third incarnation of King Crimson -- featuring Robert Fripp, John Wetton, Bill Bruford, and David Cross -- at the Amsterdam Covertgebouw on November 23, 1973. Some Crimson fans consider this lineup to be the most musically adept in the band's history, and the dense, yet dexterous, playing will tell any curious listener exactly why this is so. It remains an album that will primarily please the diehards, but for those fans, The Night Watch is an essential purchase.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Im listening to my Led Zeppelin record :) (Led Zeppelin III)

Current song: Gallows Pole

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Ghoul | Splatterthrash

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Free For All

8661 - 8680 of 10409 Posts