AVS Forum banner

9261 - 9280 of 10407 Posts

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
A great 80's Supergroup :D
I saw a review, that called So Red the Rose...the best "Duran Duran" album ever. Clever...but nonsense. We all know, that's Seven and the Ragged Tiger!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Red Garland's Piano - CD

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Disk 6

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Jackie Keith Whitley was born on this day, July 1, in 1954. I personally am not a big country music fan, but there is something about this guy that has made him one of my all time favorites. Keith died at the age of 34, in 1989, of acute alcohol poisoning. R.I.P Mr. Keith Whitley.

With his then wife, Lorrie Morgan.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Yes - Yessongs

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856) Piano Works; Franz Liszt (1811 - 1886) Concerti, Piano Works.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Robert Palmer

Pride

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Night Ranger

Midnight Madness

Attachments

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
In honour of Canada Day:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada EP (Vinyl)

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
In honour of Canada Day:

Eric's Trip - Love Tara (Vinyl)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sons of Freedom - Gump, CD. Second album from this excellent band from Vancouver, active through the late '80s and early '90s. Unfortunately, not as much of a success as they'd hoped, I guess, as it turned out to be their last real album, with one more album of unreleased stuff coming out pretty much after they had broken up. The review on allmusic refers to the music as "polished" and "newly-commercial" vs. their self-titled debut album. Having seen the band live several times between the releases of those two album I know that, like most bands at this level, the songs and the sound have everything to with what worked live, not what they might sound like on the radio. Like many of the burgeoning bands of the time, especially in the Pacific Northwest, their drone had evolved into a big groove as the '90s dawned. Unlike many of those bands, they also evolved from a sound that was more homogenous into one where the individual instruments were more evident and with even more bite. But it was also a groove that owed a lot more to Larry Graham than to Black Sabbath. The result is a album that retains the "not quite metal" and "not quite punk" sound of their first album and adds "not quite funk." Obviously, not so easy to describe, best to hear:

My favourite track is the last one, Dreamgirl #2, if you don't care to listen to the whole playlist. You'll be missing out on some good stuff, though. :)

Almost every time I put on a CD I haven't listened to in years from the early '90s I find myself really impressed with the sound quality, even on lower budget recordings like this one. It's a damn shame what happened.
Morgan

9261 - 9280 of 10407 Posts