AVS Forum banner

12421 - 12440 of 12753 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,993 Posts
Stand Up is the second studio album by the British rock band Jethro Tull, released in 1969.

Before Stand Up recordings began, the band's original guitarist Mick Abrahams resigned because of musical differences with Ian Anderson; Abrahams wanted to stay with the blues rock sound of the debut This Was, while Anderson wished to add other musical influences such as folk rock. He was replaced by guitarist Martin Barre, who appeared on every Jethro Tull album from this point on.

Stand Up represents the first album project on which Anderson was in full control of the music and lyrics. The result was an eclectic album with various styles appearing in its songs, yet an album which remained somewhat blues rock. Recording engineer Andy Johns tried some new techniques, for instance on "A New Day Yesterday" he achieved a swirling, stereo-shifting guitar effect by swinging an expensive Neumann U67 microphone on its cable in wide circles around the studio.

The album quickly went to number 1 in the UK charts.

Ian Anderson has said that the chord progression in "We Used to Know" was picked up subconsciously by Eagles when they toured together in 1971 or 1972 and used in their song "Hotel California".

The design of the album cover started with a visit to New Haven, Connecticut, during a concert tour in late February 1969. The band met a woodcarver named James Grashow who followed them for a week in order to properly represent them in wood. The resulting gatefold album cover, originally opened up like a children's pop-up book, so that a cut-out of the band's personnel stood up, evoking the album's title in a woodcut style designed by Grashow. Stand Up won New Musical Express's award for best album artwork in 1969.

The Disc and Music Echo review considered the expensive cover the "most impressive" part of the album. The 1969 Rolling Stone review was quite positive, stating that the album "has a fairly low raunch quotient, true to form, but it is quite marvelous" and also that "the album is not really funky; rather, it is a meticulously crafted work (no sterility implied) which deserves careful listening."

A variety of rock artists have cited Stand Up as an all-time favorite album over the years, including Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder, Aerosmith's Tom Hamilton, Joe Bonamassa, and Joe Satriani.

I found this one in the $2 bin at my local record store. Minty 1969 original pressing... to be honest, the main reason I bought it was for the pop-up gatefold. But this is good Jethro Tull.

Inspired by Rodrigues_Brazil.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Here's mine - Going to listen later today.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Van Halen: Van Halen

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Reactions: kevin j and Panson

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
You might also recognize this Monument Valley scene from Forrest Gump...
View attachment 3047035
Thanks, Clarence. My favorite Eagles album cover.

A popular filming region, with over a hundred films shooting there. Director John Ford made Monument Valley (Utah & Arizona) his home for ten westerns, incl. Stagecoach (1939); The Searchers (1956).

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Van Halen: Van Halen II

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Olivier Messiaen (1908 - 1992) Chamber; Samuel Barber (1910 - 1981) Concerti, Orchestral.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
UFO: Lights Out

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Gord Downie – Away Is Mine

Lots of good new music released this week. Maybe most interesting (to me) is this release from the late Gord Downie. Enjoying it as I type this...

Away Is Mine, a posthumous solo album recorded by Gord Downie, frontman of Canadian rock band The Tragically Hip, is available today through Arts & Crafts. Recording sessions for the album started on July 17, 2017 in Downie’s native Canada at The Tragically Hip’s studio in Bath, Ontario. Downie died of brain cancer at the age of 53 on October 17 — three months to the day after the sessions started. The sessions saw Downie supported by the “Family Band” consisting of his son, Lou Downie on drums, The SadiesTravis Good contributing fiddle, mandolin and guitar parts, as well as longtime studio overseer Dave “Billy Ray” Koster also playing drums. Guitarist Josh Finlayson, who co-wrote the 10 songs making up Away Is Mine, also performed on the album, which he helped complete. “This won’t be his last release, but these are the final 10 songs Gord sang before he passed away,” Gord’s brother Patrick Downie stated. “The last time he ever sang into a mic. That’s pretty special to us.”

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts

Chelsea Wolfe-Hiss Spun
Sept. 2017

File under: Gothic, Sludge, Doom

Reactions: Panson and RobKnapp

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts

HEALTH
DISCO4 PART I