AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of a high end way to do ambience recovery from a 2ch CD, into 4.1 (or whatever) for the HTPC. From what I've read, DPL-II and Circle Surround 2 can't really compete with Meridian's Trifield or Lexicon's Logic-7's Ambience Recovery algorithms.

Does anyone know if other options are available for the PC ?, even off-line options would be good (maybe some professional recording softwares have a high quality algorithm for ambience recovery from 2ch signal, off-line ?).

A great thread on this subject (but not HTPC related), can be found here

Pay attention to posts by "RichardHOS".

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I read an article on here that said CS 2 was quite good compared to DPL II Music Mode or whatever it is called. True, they won't compare to Logic-7, but it also doesn't have the L7 price tag :)

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Namlemez,

The thing about ambience recovery is, that it shouldn't distract you in any way. I didn't try CSII yet, but with DPL-II, I heard, sometimes, distinct sounds from the surround speakers. This is not proper ambience recovery, ambience never sound so distinct, ambience should be subtle, lower in SPL and diffused. I got the impression that Dolby tried to create with DPL-II, a true 5.1 mix, ala AC3. IMO, this is not for serious listening. More of a children toy.

I hope CSII will do better in this regard. Will check tomorrow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.