AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob here. This is an amp question, but it is specifically to power a sub I'm building so I'm putting it here. I want something that will go down to about 15 Hz. The box I'm planning is 19 cu. ft., ported & with an 18" driver. It will be tuned to 14.3 Hz.

I've been reading threads on Crown & inuke amps until my eyes bled, but have not been able to get to the bottom of what will work best for me. The inuke 3000DSP has pretty good DSP, and is a great price, but the quality doesn't seem that great, it needs a fan mode right out of the box, and it's just plain... ugly. At least to me it is. mostly it's the aluminum finish that will stand out like a horse turd in a glass of milk in my otherwise all black rack.

The Crown XLS1502 is also a pretty good price & the quality is reportedly quite good, and of course, it's black & doesn't need the fan mod. The DSP is very basic, but the biggest strike against it is that it seems that it has a baked in filter that rolls off below 20 Hz. A number of posts have suggested the this amp is not the best choice for a sub.

Can anyone help me out on this one? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,005 Posts
I run behringer EP4000 for my IB subs and it does great down to 5hz. With the dipswitches in the proper setting, which is not documented correctly in the manual but I'd be happy to provide them, this is a great sub amp and not very much $$. The EP2000 probably be good enough also. I have played with a few crown amps and they absolutely sucked in comparison for the subs. I have an inuke3000 here also and it's "not bad" but just doesn't do what the ep4000 does. Strongly recommend the EP4000. Also, the EP4000 fans are much quieter than they use to be. I did the fan mod on my first one from a few years ago but a recent one we bought was just as quiet stock.

·
Registered
384 Posts
After a cheap 12v fan mod the nuke3000dsp is better than a ep. the dsp is really good for the money. I’ve never had a failure and have had 2 of each different 2 models that I have known. In all 4 I have installed the cheap Best Buy $8 fan has been perfect for noise and cooling,

I have found no better cheap amp / power / dsp combo. For h.t or live band use.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
The Crown XLS1502 is also a pretty good price & the quality is reportedly quite good, and of course, it's black & doesn't need the fan mod. The DSP is very basic, but the biggest strike against it is that it seems that it has a baked in filter that rolls off below 20 Hz. A number of posts have suggested the this amp is not the best choice for a sub.

Can anyone help me out on this one? Thanks in advance.
This is not true and has been tested. There is at least one thread here and at Data-bass.com showing the results by @lukeamdman I believe.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
This is not true and has been tested. There is at least one thread here and at Data-bass.com showing the results by @lukeamdman I believe.
The frequency response of XLS 2500 was only down about 1db at 10hz compared to the Crest CC amps:

It's worth noting that the Crest CC was also flatter to 10hz than a SpeakerPower and iNuke amp, so the the XLS faired quite well all things considered.

It also holds really good power down to 10hz:

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/topic/476-lukes-basic-amplifier-tests/?page=1

I think it's possible that early versions of the XLS did indeed have a 20hz filter built in, but that definitely wasn't the case with the 2500 I tested that's only a few years old.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run behringer EP4000 for my IB subs and it does great down to 5hz. With the dipswitches in the proper setting, which is not documented correctly in the manual but I'd be happy to provide them, this is a great sub amp and not very much $$. The EP2000 probably be good enough also. I have played with a few crown amps and they absolutely sucked in comparison for the subs. I have an inuke3000 here also and it's "not bad" but just doesn't do what the ep4000 does. Strongly recommend the EP4000. Also, the EP4000 fans are much quieter than they use to be. I did the fan mod on my first one from a few years ago but a recent one we bought was just as quiet stock.
That's good to hear about the EP4000. As I understand, it doesn't have DSP. I assume the dip switches are for setting filters? If I go that way, I'll take you up on the offer for the settings. Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've read conflicting reports on this. The word from Crown is that the filter is there, but doesn't have an abrupt roll off. But anything below 20 Hz is going to need all the help it can get.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it's possible that early versions of the XLS did indeed have a 20hz filter built in, but that definitely wasn't the case with the 2500 I tested that's only a few years old.
I thought it was the Drivecore 2 amps, XLS1502, 2502 etc. where they added the 20 Hz filter?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
@lukeamdman I have a XLS1502 you can test if you have any interest. Though I've used it interchangeably with a XLS1500 and haven't noticed any difference. I will admit that I haven't actually run any sweeps while only making the amp change.
@frankwp I've heard these comments since before the '02' series came out. I'm not saying there never has been any truth to it, I just don't think it's 'all' XLS amps, like I continue to hear.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I thought it was the Drivecore 2 amps, XLS1502, 2502 etc. where they added the 20 Hz filter?
I've only heard the talk of the 20hz filter with early XLS amps, not the 02 series.

I'd be really surprised if the 02 measured any differently, but, stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
@lukeamdman I have a XLS1502 you can test if you have any interest. Though I've used it interchangeably with a XLS1500 and haven't noticed any difference. I will admit that I haven't actually run any sweeps while only making the amp change.

@frankwp I've heard these comments since before the '02' series came out. I'm not saying there never has been any truth to it, I just don't think it's 'all' XLS amps, like I continue to hear.
My buddy @Rowan611 has a few of the newer XLS series 2 amps. Maybe I could convince him to bring one up with him next week when he visits? ;)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
My buddy @Rowan611 has a few of the newer XLS series 2 amps. Maybe I could convince him to bring one up with him next week when he visits? ;)
I can pull my 1502 out and bring it up. You break it you buy it

I'm curious to see how it does. And, I'll be fun to watch you test it.

Typed on a tiny keyboard, excuse any typos

Reactions: lukeamdman

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,005 Posts
I own 2 ep4000s, 1 inuke3000dsp, a buttkicker bka1000n, and I just sold a crown xls2500. The crown was by far the worst. Compared to everything else it just had no power and felt like the bass had no guts to it at all. The inuke is pretty good and the dsp helps a lot. Unfortunately, it really needs either real unbalanced inputs or an actual input balancer. The rca to xlr cables just weren?t enough for this to perform well. Once the signal was balanced, it did great. But it just didn?t beat out the ep4000 which was sort of gutless until the proper dip switch settings weee used. Then that thing is a tank. It powers the subs like crazy at a fairly low volume. It?s the only amp that bring out the 20hz and down in my IB subs to the level they?re at now.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I can pull my 1502 out and bring it up. You break it you buy it

I'm curious to see how it does. And, I'll be fun to watch you test it.

No need to invest a bunch of time for me. I was just throwing it out there. I would be interested in the comparison but not at the need for extensive testing.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I own 2 ep4000s, 1 inuke3000dsp, a buttkicker bka1000n, and I just sold a crown xls2500. The crown was by far the worst. Compared to everything else it just had no power and felt like the bass had no guts to it at all. The inuke is pretty good and the dsp helps a lot. Unfortunately, it really needs either real unbalanced inputs or an actual input balancer. The rca to xlr cables just weren?t enough for this to perform well. Once the signal was balanced, it did great. But it just didn?t beat out the ep4000 which was sort of gutless until the proper dip switch settings weee used. Then that thing is a tank. It powers the subs like crazy at a fairly low volume. It?s the only amp that bring out the 20hz and down in my IB subs to the level they?re at now.

It would be interesting to see your dip switch settings if you don’t mind posting them here it might also help others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
No need to invest a bunch of time for me. I was just throwing it out there. I would be interested in the comparison but not at the need for extensive testing.
Its too easy. Plus, I'm kinda of curious.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts