AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have built a while ago a sealed Dayton RSS460 18 inch subwoofer and powered it with a crown xls 1000.

I did not feel overwhelmed with the output. Although I did “feel” that when I used a 220/120 transformer rather than a 220/110 volts transformer, that the output was better.

Is the crown XLS 1000 small for the Dayton RSS460? Which amplifier is a better match?

From a budget point of view, I am inclined to get the inuke 3000dsp in bridge mode (it has as well the necessary equalizer) or an inuke 6000dsp in one channel mode and future proof, but somehow the 3000dsp seems a better choice financially.

Is the 3000dsp too much for the Dayton RSS460? Is there a possibility (i.e. with ease) of blowing or damaging the driver? What precautions should I take in order not to damage the woofer?

I have as well another energy ESW V10 subwoofer (300 watts rms, 1200 dynamic) as per the energy website, which has a ruined amplifier; I need to get an amplifier for it. I am inclined to either the Dayton 250 watts for price reason or the Yung 500 watts (used externally). The same question as above, will the 500 watts amplifier ruin the driver? What precautions should I take? Should I get the Dayton 250 watts as a safe/cheaper choice? I am using the 10 inch subwoofer in a small room.

Waiting for your advices.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak_20  /t/1516885/which-amplifiers-and-how-to-protect-a-speaker-from-a-powerful-amplifier#post_24333647

Hi all, I have built a while ago a sealed Dayton RSS460 18 inch subwoofer and powered it with a crown xls 1000. I did not feel overwhelmed with the output. .
That may be because it's in a sealed enclosure. The RSS460 is better suited to a ported box, unless your room is small enough to provide cabin gain.

·
Registered
11,979 Posts
I thought the crown xls 1000 has a universal power supply? If so, don't put a transformer on it, that will just reduce the wattage.

The nu3kdsp would likely be better, although I haven't compared them myself.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one I got from the US had a white dot just on the 120 volts, and the seller did tell me it only works on 120. The ones sold outside the US, mainly in Europe or the middle east are multiple voltages as I think.

Bill, you have shot me in the foot
many people here seemed to be building a sealed enclosure for the sub, so I went that road. So can I pierce the current enclosure from the bottom, and build an enclosure on top of the one I have done, and a bottom slot in the new top enclosure? (I hope someone understood what I have just said
) the idea is not to loose the work of the current enclosure and all the bracing.

I am a little puzzled now with what Bill has said. many people are always praising the better quality of sealed subs. anyhow, I have to think about making it ported. But in all cases, I did not get an answer for the larger amp question, will the Dayton handle the larger inuke amp? or am I wasting money and the crown xls 1000 is enough for the sub? am I gaining other then the dsp if I move to a larger amp?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the sub enclosure is around 53cmx56cmx56cm (20.8x22x22 in inches), the crown is bridged. so I think 5.8 cubic feet, and you have to remove the speaker volume, the 3/4 inch wood and double baffle and bracing.

My room is considered big, but the sub is close to the sitting area. the whole room is 10.5mx4m (34.5 feetx13.1feet) 3m (9.8 feet sealing) and open to other space. But the sub is close to sitting area which is 4mx4m (part of the 4x10.5 area).

It is a saloon, not a dedicated home theatre area, where I receive friends, although I use a projector, but that is fine. I cant really put too many subs in the room. So by putting the sub next to the sitting area I get some acceptable output, and I am living in a building. Should I port it? Shout I get a larger amplifier (as asked above)?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak_20  /t/1516885/which-amplifiers-and-how-to-protect-a-speaker-from-a-powerful-amplifier#post_24334133

I am a little puzzled now with what Bill has said. many people are always praising the better quality of sealed subs.
Did you model the two options before building it? This is what you would have found:

Both are 8 cu ft net cabs. The green trace is ported, the blue is sealed. The upper chart is transfer function sensitivity, the lower is maximum SPL.
Quote:
the whole room is 10.5mx4m (34.5 feetx13.1feet)
That's twice the size where a sealed sub will work well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have only modeled it for a q=0.7 and that is it. I am not an expert, this is my first serious build. Now the questions:

If I am going to keep the sub in the current box and live with what I have:

1- is the crown xls 1000 enough for this sub?

2- is the inuke 3000 dsp better? is it too much for the sub

If I need to play more:

- Should I port the current enclosure in a certain way like building another slotted enclosure on top of it?

- should I build a new ported box? what size?

- Should I build a new box for two dual opposite drivers, what size? which amp? ( further future, so maybe a get a larger amp now with dsp, live with my sub a little, and make the best of what I have already paid since I hired a carpenter to build the box, then later I can build a dual opposed sub or ported one )

any ideas?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitey019  /t/1516885/which-amplifiers-and-how-to-protect-a-speaker-from-a-powerful-amplifier#post_24333810

The Behringer NU3000dsp does have a means to set a peak power limit if you so desire.

I didn't see this till now, but yes thanks, that might solve part of the problem. I don't know how accurate that is however. Maybe I can set it to 1700 watts peak, because the Dayton can reach 1800 peak.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
I don't think there is an easy way of modifying your existing enclosure to be a ported enclosure. You would be far better off with a totally new enclosure.

The reason that you see so many sealed enclosure builds are because a lot of these folks are using multiple enclosures. If you have a large room, (which you do), and if you only plan to utilize one or two subs, (you only have one!), then it is crazy to even think about building a sealed enclosure. You need a ported enclosure. I would also recommend the iNuke over the Crown in either situation, but, that's just me. The iNuke3000dsp has more power, although I am not sure exactly how much more, just keep in mind that if you double the power, you get an additional 3db.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007  /t/1516885/which-amplifiers-and-how-to-protect-a-speaker-from-a-powerful-amplifier#post_24336840

I don't think there is an easy way of modifying your existing enclosure to be a ported enclosure. .
It wouldn't be difficult at all with external porting.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am considering either the inuke 3000dsp or the 6000dsp. The 3000 is enough of course and cheaper but the 6000 seems more future proof in case I wanted to add something else. Moreover, the fan mod in the 6000 seems better because there is no plastic funnel like in the 3000 which produces some air movement sound.

As for the enclosure, I need to use this box for a while until I decide on changing it, I just paid the carpenter around 250 USD to make it. I was thinking of piercing the bottom, and enlarging it with an outer enclosure with the slot or needed ports, in that case I don't loose the bracing effort done with it. But at the same time, it seems better to keep it and do another one (didn't make my mind yet).

I think the Dayton can withstand up to 1800 watts peak, which the crown cant give. Moreover, at lower frequencies, doesn't the impedance of the driver go up? and thus might need a more powerful amplifier to be able to deliver at these lows? I suspect that I will gain more then 3dB at the lower frequencies from a larger amplifier.

I do need the DSP, but then can anyone recommend a cost effective microphone from amazon (they accept international credit cards), is the http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-ECM8000-Ultra-Linear-Measurement-Microphone/dp/B000HT4RSA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1392056171&sr=8-5&keywords=behringer+mic fine? what do they mean by phantom power?

which software do I need with it? or is this one better http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-EMM-6-Measurement-Microphone/dp/B002KI8X40/ref=pd_cp_MI_0

Another question would be regarding my first post in this thread, how to protect the drivers (both my 10 inch and 18inch) ones from larger amplifiers (one will use a plate amplifier possibly the 500watts) and the second the inuke 3000?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Archaea and all. What is the voltage limit for the RSS460? although if the inuke had a wattage limit that would be better (i.e. measuring both the current and voltage but that would need it to measure as well other parameters, since this is not a dc signal).

As for my other smaller 10 inch subwoofer, if I opt for a 250 watts amp, that is fine as I know the sub can handle 300 watts rms. But if i get the 500 watts amplifier, is there a rule on how to calibrate the volume so that I do not ruin the driver?

Moreover, on the Dayton RSS460 side, has anyone tried running either the 3000dsp bridged or the 6000dsp one channel on it without limitation? or in other words, how much maximum power can this driver handle, is it the advertised 1800 watts? does it differ in a sealed enclosure or this is the maximum threshold?

any response regarding the microphone question that I asked?

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
Regarding the mic and software questions...

I would consider a simple USB mic, such as the UMM-6 or the UMIK-1 from MiniDsp. The UMM-6 can be purchased from across Spectrum Lqbs for pretty cheap. If you go with the iNuke3000dsp, or 6000dsp, then the amp will have its own built in software.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But the Software in the inuke is for settings, while the software with the mic is for measurements, correct? So I do need both?

One of the reviewers of the UMM-6 said that it cannot measure correctly below 200 Hz as per his discussion with Dayton!!

Does MiniDsp ship fast to the US? since it is better for me to order this when I am in the USA rather then the hassle of clearing the shipment in my own country. has anyone had the experience of ordering it? how long did it take to receive it? and how much shipping charges?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Checking if right amplifier and connectors ordered. fast reply appreciated as I need to put the order asap due to my time limitations.

Hi guys, so it is time to put the order for the amplfiiers and connectors for my two subs, one a DIY dayton 18 inch and the other a replacement amplifier (will be external to the enclosure) for my 10 inch energy subwoofer, if you kindly confirm that the parts are correct, this will excellent, especially that I am not familiar with speakon and XLR connectors.

1- energy ESW-V10 replacement amplifier will be this one: Yung SD300 300W Class D Subwoofer Plate Amplifier Module No Boost: is that fine? do I need to get the 30 Hz boost one?

2- The RCA to XLR connector to connect my sc-07 receiver sub out to the amplifier (with an RCA male to RCA male cable) will be this part Dayton Audio XMRF XLR Male to RCA Female Adapter http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024WY2DI/ref=ox_sc_act_image_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A385A0XNQBW8HY

3- The speaker out adapter to connect to the cable that goes to the subwoofer is either of these: Neutrik NL2FX Speakon Connector 2 Pole Cable Mount http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FN28RU0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A385A0XNQBW8HY

or this one Amphenol Audio SP-4-F Loudspeaker Cable Connector, 4 Pole, Thermoplastic black Shell, Blue Sleeve http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AJS70J2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A385A0XNQBW8HY

4- fans for the inuke 6000dsp: Noctua NF-R8 Raised-Blade design and SSO Bearing Fan http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CQTYL6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1H9NMCPZH97BO

In 3, do I need the 4 pole one or should I only get the two pole?

Is the inuke 6000dsp (will use a 220/120 transformer with it) a good choice for my application and possible future proofing (one channel used)?

thanks .

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
The iNuke6000dsp is an extremely good choice, be sure to spring for the extra $$ to get the Dsp version versus the regular iNuke6000, (ie the iNuke6000dsp).

For connectors, you need a 4 pole speakon to connect to the amp, then on the other end of that cable you can use what ever connection you want, although, I would use a speakon connector mounted to the enclosure and wire the driver to it. That way you can use a cable with speakons on both ends .

To connect the iNuke6000dsp to your Sc-07 you need an RCA make to 1/4 TRS connector, or an RCA make to XLR male. The iNuke gives you two options there and I personally prefer the RCA make to 1/4 TRS cables as you can easily find them at Radio Shack or online. Hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts