AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bit on a govliquidation CRT. I know I ignored the words of wisdom regarding this and could come to regret it. Which variant is model number 69581P? Believe it is a 3600 but what does the P signify, if anything.

FYI built in 1997. Looks to be in decent shape. However, (theres always one of those) nice big sticky note saying do not plug in arching from the HVPS. So if anyone has recommendations/information let me know.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Mark,

It is a 3600 and the "p" is the model change when Ampro put the registration board on the underside of the top hinged cover. This apparently also improved cooling and allowed them to eliminate two fans that were on this this cover in the earlier edition.

An arcing HPVS would be a big problem and you should not plug the pj in without taking care to troubleshoot it as you may ruin other components. These power supplies are in short supply so a replacement could be expensive. Curt Palme may have one. I have sent you a PM.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
If you determine you need the high voltage power supply and Curt doesn't have one to sell let me know. I probably do. But I will need to test it in a working chassis first.

p.s. I use a 3600p. Throws a very nice (very sharp) picture, assuming the tubes are good

Bob Wood (Pensacola, Florida)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob,

What steps do I need to take in order to verify it is an HVPS problem. Are there any preventive maintenance type actions that can be taken to see if it hasn't been cared for. For example cleaning internal connections etc.

What are the trouble shooting steps to determine the cause of the arcing?

thanks....

Mark...

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Mark,

I'm the farthest thing from a projector tech there is. Hopefully some of the AmPro experts will try to help.

But I think it will depend on where the arcing is located as to whether the HVPS is failing or something else is the problem. If it's not arcing right at the unit then I don't think the HVPS will be the culprit (but I stand to be corrected).

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
The only way to tell where the arcing is coming from is to plug it in and turn it on with the cover open. You may want to turn the room lights down also.

The 3600 has a 36kV HVPS. The earlier 3300,4300 and newer 2000 models use a 34kV supply which is interchangeable among those models. It might be a challenge to find a replacement for the 3600.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
"It might be a challenge to find a replacement for the 3600." Thurman Whitte

"These power supplies are in short supply so a replacement could be expensive." Robert A Hill

"Doh!" Homer Simpson

It may be though that it's one of your tubes that's arcing... In fact probably more likely it is a tube.

If it's not the tubes and the tubes look good they will fit other pj's... It could become a donor machine.

Robert Wood is a honest guy, I've bought several things from him before.

Troy

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Mark,

I would start by un-plugging the anode lead (red wire) from the front of the power supply then move it away from the output terminal. Next, I would try to power up the projector.

If it powers up ok without any arcing, I would next check all the anode leads that go to the crt's from the HV splitter that connects to the HVPS. Chances are there is a pin hole blasted thru one of the insulated anode leads that is shorting to ground. I would next thoroughly clean all the anode leads with a good plastic polish to get all the carbon dust off.

If everything looks ok, I would unplug the three crt anode leads from the splitter block, then connect the splitter block back up to the HVPS connection. Power up again to see if you are ok from the output of the HVPS up thru the splitter block.

If everything is still ok, I would connect the crt anode leads one at a time to the splitter block to see if the problem is local to one of the crts.

Ray

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys,

Thanks so much for the assist. I'll start out on the approach Ray suggested and try and isolate the fault. Hopefully I will luck out and have only a minor issue and a great CRT at a bargain price.

Keep the ideas coming. I'm searching the forum for AMPRO knowledge, it is there in bits and pieces but not nearly as abundant as for my ECP4100. Sad thing is I don't have the capabilities of that machine maxed out and here I am trying to upgrade. Damn this hobby :).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.