AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just gotten the Pioneer VSX-924 AV amp mainly for its dual HDMI Outputs as i wanted to send 1 HDMI Output to my LCD TV and the other HDMI Output to my Capture device so i could capture gameplay from my consoles whilst still playing on my big TV. But i have noticed when i try this setup im getting the HDCP logo on my capture screen on my PC, so im guessing Pioneer are enforcing HDCP encryption on their HDMI socket which basically sucks, my 5 year old Sony Amp never used to have this issue at all!!.

So im going to have to send this amp back as its no good to me if Pioneer are enforcing HDCP encryption on its HDMI sockets, is this the case???.

How do i find out if an amp has HDCP encrytion on its HDMI sockets so i dont run into this issue again?, i was looking at the Denon AVRX2100 as a replacement but cant see if this would have the same issue or even the Sony STR-DN1050 (or though thats out of my price range really) im guessing if my old Sony STR-DH800 didnt have HDCP encryption then the DN1050 wouldn't either??....or is this something all new amps will have now?

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
According to HDMI standards..
It is mandatory, that if the input source signal via HDMI has HDCP encoding than the output source signal via HDMI must be HDCP encoded..

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Yes, it is mandatory. At no time can an HDCP encrypted signal be exposed externally decrypted. The manufacturer who does this is liable for some rather large sums of money, as well as having all thir keys revoked, meaning none of their products will work with HDCP anymore.

If you're trying to capture gameplay, you'll need to use component video on the ps3, and HDMI pass through for the ps4 (updated firmware allowing non HDCP gameplay), or either Xbox (who never had HDCP during gameplay at all). Your capture card should sit between the console and your tv or receiver.

You might be able to find a HDMI splitter to do the same - split the HDMI after the console and before the sinks. If you go for a cheap imported Chinese no name that doesn't advertise HDCP on the box, you might get lucky since a lot of them used the leaked master key.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm so what your saying then is my old Sony STR-DH800 should have the same HDCP standards then, if so how come I don't get this problem with that amp but do with the Pioneer?. Is there a setting that might be causing this block, maybe a HDMI control or one of the hdzone options, as if It worked with the Sony it should work with the Pioneer if the both have the same HDCP protocols

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think im going to have to return the amp as it just seems to be adding HDCP to all HDMI output signals, no matter if the original signal has HDCP (like the PS3) or not (like the XBox 360). Even if i just had the OSD menu up for the amp i get the HDCP message on my capture software window on the PC. This is a real shame as everything else about the amp i like.

Im now looking at the Denon AVR2100W as a alternative, i have noticed Richersounds have the Denon AVR2100 without the W), is this the same amp or are they different models?, i just hope the Denon does have the same lazy oversight for HDCP that Pioneer seems to have!

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
I think im going to have to return the amp as it just seems to be adding HDCP to all HDMI output signals, no matter if the original signal has HDCP (like the PS3) or not (like the XBox 360). Even if i just had the OSD menu up for the amp i get the HDCP message on my capture software window on the PC. This is a real shame as everything else about the amp i like.

Im now looking at the Denon AVR2100W as a alternative, i have noticed Richersounds have the Denon AVR2100 without the W), is this the same amp or are they different models?, i just hope the Denon does have the same lazy oversight for HDCP that Pioneer seems to have!

U can try other brand/models AVRs but most likely they all will have an HDCP encoded output through HDMI...
We have found some earlier brand/model AVRs that through HDMI took an HDCP encoded source input signal and then outputted a non-HDCP signal @ component video output.

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
U can try other brand/models AVRs but most likely they all will have an HDCP encoded output through HDMI...
We have found some earlier brand/model AVRs that through HDMI took an HDCP encoded source input signal and then outputted a non-HDCP signal @ component video output.

Just my $0.02... ;)
When you say early how early are we talking?, as my Sony STR-DH800 didnt have any issues at all

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
When you say early how early are we talking?, as my Sony STR-DH800 didnt have any issues at all

The model I mentioned was an HK from about 2007...
Regarding others, no idea since having this capability of outputting an unencoded HDCP stream through HDMI violates its standards which can trigger massive litigation from the content holders...

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Hmm so what your saying then is my old Sony STR-DH800 should have the same HDCP standards then, if so how come I don't get this problem with that amp but do with the Pioneer?. Is there a setting that might be causing this block, maybe a HDMI control or one of the hdzone options, as if It worked with the Sony it should work with the Pioneer if the both have the same HDCP protocols
The Sony won't do this if it was made before the HDCP requirements began to be enforced, just like older DVD players that output 1080p on their Component Video jacks won't respond to the flag in newer discs that force them to downgrade the signal to 480p, according to the Analog Sunset.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.