AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am raising the money right now to get a Zenith 520 receiver (I have DirecTV and Comcast cable) and plan to use this to hold me over until next year when I can get the DirecTV HD Tivo receiver assuming it ships and is along the lines of what I'm looking for.

A couple of questions:

I'm being recommended to get a Channel Master 3021 but also being told I need an amp. What will these run? And is this a good choice? Plus where is a good source for them?

Second, does anyone think I might be able to talk DirecTV out of the mirroring fee if I try and make this case that this box will be on the same TV as another receiver and only here until they ship this upcoming Tivo box? It seems a bit silly to pay another mirroring fee just to get HDTV. Sorry, I just cannot part with Tivo (DirecTV receiver with Tivo), though I am seriously thinking about moving that unit upstairs where the picture will look much better on the tube TV it was matched with before I went 16:9 RPTV.

I can't believe I'm even considering spending all this money but the allure of getting NFL Sunday Ticket in HD, POSSIBLY ESPN and HBO and Showtime (I get everything from DirecTV and am paying MORE to Comcast just to get HBO in HD) is just to much to pass on. I suspect I'll be able to sell this receiver after that next one comes out for a couple of hundred bucks to help defray the expect large cost of the new Tivo.

Any help on this antenna would be greatly appreciated. I know putting it in the attic impacts reception but not that much and I really have no other option.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Recommend you search this web site for info regarding attic antennas. The only thing for certain is that there is no best for everyone. You should also know that the newer OTA receivers (HD200 etc.) are apparently much better at receiving OTA signals.

Here's what works fine for me (35 miles from most distant stations, antenna height about 10' AGL, and no hills in the way). Radio Shack UHF yagi coupled to a 5 element channel 13 yagi). I also use a 10 db line amplifier as I have a fairly long cable run to my tuner.

A good way to experiment is to take a small TV in your attic initially adjust antenna to an analog signal eminating from the same tower/antenna farm as your digital channel.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I recently purchased the Channel Master from Warren, excellent antenna! I get signal strength of 95-100 on all channels with the antenna installed in my attic, 100' rg-6 with no amp needed. Works for me and is easy to install!

·
Registered
57 Posts
CM4221 with CM3041 preamp in my attic installation gives me 100 on every single one of my HD digital channels... and I am about 35-40 miles from the tower

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do I find out how far I am from the antennas in question? I'm in Cherry Hill, NJ outside of Philadelphia. I could easily be either within or outside that sort of range.

If I'm outside 40 miles is the 4228 a bad idea?

I'm also thinking of using the Zenith 520 which I'm told is the same thing as the HD200 so it'd be just as new and likely provide the same exact results as the HD200 with respect to OTA quality.

I just can't believe I'm going to have to go through all this only to go through it again when the DirecTV HD Tivos come out. I just can't see waiting as by then football season will be over.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Agrajag
How do I find out how far I am from the antennas in question?...

If I'm outside 40 miles is the 4228 a bad idea?
Go to http://www.100000watts.com and type in the station call letters. Click on the flashing transmitter icon for a map.

The 4228 is an excellent high gain antenna. It should work well for all UHF (chs 14-69) & most highband VHF (chs 7-13). It would probably work better though, if you'd get it out of the attic. Attic installs can be hit & miss, depending on type of roof and gable end construction materials.

Use a preamp as a last resort. They often cause more problems than they solve for digital OTA signals. A good preamp is the CM 7777 VHF/UHF. You can get the 4228 & the 7777 at Warren Electronics.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there another location for mounting these antennas that removes the eyesore factor? If I could just lay it on the roof a few inches above it, no one would see it but would it pick up stations well mounted like that (parallel to the roof)?

Also, went to that site and it does give latitude and longitude locations but is there another site to provide distance between two? This assumes I can find MY lat/long.

Otherwise I still have no idea how far away these are.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Try it in the attic. You may luck out. No one can predict what your reception results will be, except that reception is nearly always better when you install the antenna outdoors.

You can install it in a tree, or on the side of the house, if the side of the house faces the transmitters. You can also paint these antennas to blend in with surroundings.

The 4221s & 4228s are not nearly as obtrusive as great big VHF/UHF yagis (IMO).

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
arxaw, I'd like to reply to your private message but I can't. For some reason I was able to send it and see that you replied but when I try to receive that response I get, "Your administrator has disabled private messaging."

No idea why.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Huh?

The 4228 (or even the 4221) should work just fine for UHF and highband VHF at that distance, if installed outside.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys, I ordered a Channel Master 4228-A from Warren Electronics just a few minutes ago. If I install it in my attic (I'm going to try that first as the guy at WHYY that I know has a lesser Channel Master in his attic, gets solid signal on all the channels and lives in the town right next to me) will I need a pole for it? I'm assuming I can pretty much just put up a couple of hooks on rafters and hang it from there. I can't imagine it needing much in the way of rotating and such.

Someone also recommended a good place to get faceplates. I now need a 6 jack faceplate. Any ideas? I can't find that thread.

·
Registered
38 Posts
bump...

I'm lurking and reading this thread with interest. Can anyone answer as to whether an antenna like the one mentioned can just be "hung" in the attic? Inquiring minds want to know :D Is anyone reading this actually using a set-up like this -- with the type of antenna referenced? Thanks.

-bullrat

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the CM4221 (smaller version of the 4228) in the attic, and I do not have it on a pole or mounted anywhere.

basically, it's just sitting on the "floor" of the attic, resting up against a vertical beam.... and pointed in the direction of the tower.

All HD signals come in at 100

Hope this helps

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by arxaw
tommer_2, the advantage of your solution is you can easily change the tilt, if needed. Tilt can help with multipath problems.

Agrajag, you can get multi face plates at Homey Despot. http://www.homedepot.com
Okay, what exactly is a multi-face plate? I couldn't find any in a search of their site.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use a Radio Shack Antenna 80" VU-90XR part#15-2152 and a Samsung SIR-T150. The antenna is in my attic (3rd floor) and I get great reception in the Dallas,TX area, 15 channels at over 50% signal and all at 1080i. I feel very luck to live in Dallas and have a great HD market.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Agrajag
Okay, what exactly is a multi-face plate? I couldn't find any in a search of their site.
Search for SKU# 611456

The wallplate looks like this

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.