AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a samsung sirt150 for ota hdtv. My question is what is the best antenna for picking up hdtv signals? I notice some antennas are uhf only, does that make a difference, which is better for hdtv? The three I have narrowed it down to are a winegard hd7082p(vhf/uhf), channel master 4228(uhf), or a radio shack vu-120xr(vhf/uhf). Which one of these would be the best choice? I am going to use a radio shack mast mount amp and rotator with this setup. The run from the antenna to the stb is about 75ft should I use r11 or r6? What about "F" ground blocks and surge protectors, good idea or bad for hdtv setup?

Regards,

JASON

·
Registered
532 Posts
First thing to figure out is what DTV broadcasters you have now and will have in the near future. If all your DTV stations are UHF, then a UHF-only antenna is all you'll need---for now. (If the alleged digital transition transpires, you can bet a lot of those stations will move to VHF.)

Myself? I use the Radio Shack Double Bowtie, a UHF antenna, for DTV reception in the Bay Area. And I'm close enough to KNTV's tower to receive its digital signal broadcast on channel 12 (the only VHF DTV broadcaster here) with the same antenna.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the stations are uhf but one. And that one vhf is within 5 miles. The channel masters size makes it the front runner. The other antennas are 10' plus long. The only problem is that one channel is popular in the household.

Regards,

JASON

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
You will be able to pick up the VHF station from 5 miles away with the Channel Master UHF antenna.

You probably could get it without ANY antenna.

You probably dont want an amplifier unless you have lots of cable loss, it wont amplify what isnt there to begin with, it will just overcome cable loss.

For 75', RG-11 would be the best choice if you want minimal loss. If the stations are all within 40 miles or so, RG-6QS should do fine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We live 30 miles outside Baltimore and pick up all local stations better than we have ever seen them with...NO VHF antenna at ALL! Just the Channelmaster 4228 Yagi UHF narrow beamwitdh antenna. We also pick up all the HD programs from Washington DC and Philadelphia and could not be more pleased with this antenna. We can't even rotate it (it's up at the top of a Silver Maple), we just point it Baltimore.

I don't how or why our VHF reception and selection can be so clear without the VHF mast up there.

I'm sure you've been there but I love this link:

CEA Antenna Selector

Finally, unless I am mistaken, CH offers a clip/bolt on VHF unit.

Good Luck

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I just purchased the cm 4228 and the cm rotator with the remote. Everything goes right, in two weeks I will be watching hdtv on my 106" screen. YAHOOOOOOOOOOO!

Regards,

JASON

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.