AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an antenna that will get UHF/VHF/HD. Antennaweb.org says that I need at least a light green antenna for the stations that I want to get. (Although I need a blue, for NBC's futre HD channel).

What is the best antenna for this situation? I have a 1/4 mile of field to the north, where I'll be aiming the antenna so obstructions shouldn't be an issue.

I tried a Terk TV55 last night. I didn't have time to go up on the roof, but I did climb a ladder and put it about 10 feet above ground. Results weren't much better than rabbit ears on top of the TV.

Can someone recommend a good antenna for me?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Typically it depends on how far you are from the transmitters...most people like yagi or bowtie style antennas. Channelmaster makes both kinds...Blake, is another popular kind...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm about 20 miles from the transmitters, but I'd rather over buy then under buy.

Can you recommend a couple particular models?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Innova,

Are you in "NOVA" (northern virginia)?

If so, you'll want to call Fairfax Antenna. They have great installers that do a very professional job, and will get you the best results possible. They'll provide you with best antenna for your location, and line it up in the optimal direction.

On top of that, the Terk 55 is junk. Trust me, I know from personal experience.

good luck

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, I'm not in VA, I actually thought I had my location filled in, I'll have to fix that. I'm in Central WI.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Innova,

Don't skimp, go for broke. The biggest channel master you can get with their best pre-amp and a rotor. You won't regret it. The difference in cost is minimal between the best and mediocre. It's the same amount of work putting it up. Do it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking at Channel Master's website and trying to decide between the Crossfire 3671, and the Advantage 3020. They both seem like they'd be adequate, so I'm leaning towards the 3020. Any reason for me to jump up to the 3671?

·
Registered
648 Posts
The Terk TV-55 is one big steaming pile of crap. Do a search on it and you'll see what I mean. My TV55 has been retired, for good.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just picked up the biggest antenna from Radio Shack (there are no channel master dealers in our area, and I wanted an antenna for this weekend, so I couldn't order online). I bought the VU-190- R . I'll install it tomorrow, and let you know how it works. If anyone is interested, it's on sale for $50 (normally $100).

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If you are only 20 miles from the towers, that antenna should do fine, unless there are mountains between you and the towers, or your stations are powering their transmitters with a couple of hamsters on a treadmill.

Good luck.

Sid

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Unfortunately that big Radio Shack is big because of the low band VHF section, the UHF section (which is the important part for digital TV channels) is not very high gain compared to the cheaper UHF-specific Channel Master and Winegard antennas.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Umm yes. The CM 4228 does not do very well with VHF at all. I don't care because I have local channels over DirecTV for my Tivo Sony SAT T-60.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.