AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone here recommend an antenna for me?

I live 15-20 miles from Cheyenne Mountain which holds all of our local broadcasts.

The channel #'s range from: 5 to 63 so I need a UHF/VHF antenna.

I have a direct view of where the broadcast towers are, with maybe 1-2 trees partially in the way. ALL stations are at the 205° compass orientation.

I'm thinking I need a decent highly directional UHF/VHF antenna.

Knowing that, what antenna would you recommend I use?

Thanks!

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
I use a Silver Sensor (indoor UHF antenna) it cost around $40 at Sears. Before that I tried Terk antennas but they were a joke. Here in Los Angeles all the digital channels are UHF, but if you have some on VHF in your area you might need something different.

·
Registered
124 Posts
See my posts in this section regarding lack of reception of ABC in Houston. You should have a mast that places your antenna at least 15' off the ground. Any supplier of a yagi antenna with a minimum of eight UHF elements and 3 or 4 VHF elements should suffice with a slight tilt of the antenna upward on the front end due to your proximity to the transmitters. Depending on your RG6 run of cable and amount of splitters/diplexers, you may need to use a moderate 10 to 15 db gain distribution amp at the end of your antenna run into your house prior to connecting to the first splitter or diplexer.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read your posts about Houston but I don't see what they have to do with my situation. I have a close line of sight of the towers, and you're 200 miles away.

My RG6 run right now is at 62 feet, but it only needs around 40ft.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The point is one needs to understand the basics of terrestrial reception with my setup being at the extreme fringe and your in what would be a suburban setting, hence the equipment I recommended to you is aimed at what you described. The last post before this concerning the Radio Shack yagi is correct if your in the attic, but if you have a 62" run then you may need the distribution amp depending on the amount of connections you have down the line. If you are locating outside on a mast as I described a 4' uhf/vhf yagi will suffice and this is also available at Radio Shack or Stark Electonics (mail order) under the Winegard or Channel Master product lines.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The CM 4221 is excellent for UHF reception up to about 40miles without a preamp, it has a beamwidth of about 60degrees. For higher gain and UHF reception out to about 60 miles there is the larger CM 4228, but it has a much narrower beamwidth - so unless all your local stations broadcast from the same place it would need a rotor. The mail-order prices I've seen for the CM4221 is around $25 and about $50 for the CM4228.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.