AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the planning stages of my HT and am looking for advice in selecting an aspect ratio for my DIY screen. I recently purchased a Panny 300U and would like to construct a 16:9 screen (8'x4.5').

The dilemma I have is that some of my DVDs are in other aspect ratios - i.e. 1.85 - and will that mean that I have to manually adjust the pj for these movies? Or does the pj have the ability to 'remember' the setting for movies in other aspect ratios so that the image can be automatically scaled down to fit in the 16:9 screen?

I guess I would rather see the black bars on the sides for non-standard ratio films that on the top and bottom for 16:9 films.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No replies so far? Okay, I think I understand this better after some research. Maybe someone can tell me if I'm getting it. If I build a screen to a 16:9 AR (1.78:1), I will be able to watch 1.85:1 films without any horizontal black bars, but 2.35:1 films will have black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Theoretically, shouldn't a 1.85:1 film display vertical bars on the sides of a 1.78:1 screen or does the DVD player compensate for this?

·
Registered
726 Posts
You'll see black bars either on the top or bottom for any format other than 1.78:1 unless you use zoom or scaling features of the PJ or your PJ overscans the material or the original material isn't as advertised.

·
Registered
28,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by min7b5
No replies so far? Okay, I think I understand this better after some research. Maybe someone can tell me if I'm getting it. If I build a screen to a 16:9 AR (1.78:1), I will be able to watch 1.85:1 films without any horizontal black bars, but 2.35:1 films will have black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Theoretically, shouldn't a 1.85:1 film display vertical bars on the sides of a 1.78:1 screen or does the DVD player compensate for this?
1.85:1 is wider than 16:9. You will get small black bars on the top and bottom of the frame.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
you need zoomplayer!!!

brickie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.