AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I will be doing a full restore on my HTPC, reinstalling the OS and everything.

I've been using the CAT2.5 drivers, though I see now that CAT3.2 is the latest.

Which are the currently recommended drivers for HTPC use?

My HTPC specs:

Windows XP Pro

Radeon 9500 pro, w/Zalman silent HS

AMD XP1900+ on a Soyo Dragon+ MB, w/zalman flower HS and silent fan

512Mb DDR ram

Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Platinum w/Live!Drive for spdif

Seagate Baracuda IV 80GB for local storage

3-Com 100mbit network card

Hauppage WinTV card

Pioneer slot-load DVD

Lite-on tray load DVD

Kanam HTPC case w/VFD, w/silent PSU

Thanks!

- Rick

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I use 3.2 and to me everything works and looks great with my 8500

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Catalyst 3.2 drivers are definitely nicer, providing more functionality and control (like separate brightness adjustment of the TV, although technicially this would be the MMC 8.1 updates).

I am also using an 8500DV, there is one annoying bug/feature I have with the new driver, I always have the LCD as the primary display and the TV in Clone Theater mode, but when I reboot XP it ends up setting the TV into non-clone mode and I get the wonderfully annoying scrolling virtual desktop.

Otherwise there are many more features, I am not even sure the 2.5 drivers supported theater mode, a very nice feature if you are driving a TV as the second display. Really makes the DVCR integration a lot nicer.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Rick ,

-- the 3.2's offer a few other features but the 2.5's are more stable for me [ NO BUGS ] and I can tell NO difference in image quality . I find the 2.5's to be the best for VMR9 as well but YMMV ;) .

-- Jason Berg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Along the same question.

Is it worth uping form DX8 to DX9 when I only have a 8500DV? It's why I haven't bothered with the newer driver. They mainly sound like they are for DX9 and 9500 and up.

Has any one tryed the http://www.omegacorner.com/ati.htm Omega drivers? This is a driver recomended by Bright for ZoomPlayer if you have a older card. http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/faq/faq_entry0044.shtml

Does a 8500 count as a older card now?

:D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes, I have a 9100 ATi card... Should I use Omega or Catalyst 3.4?

·
Registered
969 Posts
I'm running a Radeon 7500 and have kept away from upgrading the drivers because I see so little information from people with these 'older' cards. Currently I'm using 2.3. Can anyone shed some light on the stability of the 7500 with the later driver releases?

Andy.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 9700 Pro in my P4 and I am using the Catalyst 3.4 drivers. I had the 3.2 before, and going from them to the 3.4 improved frame rates somewhat and increased my 3dMark03 scores. I'd say it's safe to use the 3.4's so that's what I am suggesting.

Manny

·
Registered
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyS
I'm running a Radeon 7500 and have kept away from upgrading the drivers because I see so little information from people with these 'older' cards. Currently I'm using 2.3. Can anyone shed some light on the stability of the 7500 with the later driver releases?
You're kidding right?

I just upgraded my Radeon 7500 to the lastest Catalyst 3.5 drivers and it fixed the DxVA issue I was having with my FusionHDTV card. Catalyst 3.4 improved image quality for HD viewing.

Yes, it is worth and upgrade at least once in a while, the only install issue I had with the Cat3.4 was that I need to use Driver Cleaner first to remove all the old drivers completely before installing Cat3.4 so that custom resolutions would work again when I used Powerstrip. The Cat3.5 install worked fine without having to uninstall Cat3.4.

The only reason I see for buying a new Radeon is that this old Radeon 7500 doesn't have AGP 8X capability and my new motherboard does support AGP 8X and this would be useful with 1080P WM9 clips.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.