AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying out the eyeTV hybrid with PPC G4 (1.42GHz) as a replacement for cable TV. My building is wired for ATSC and the signal is great. Just for kicks I tried Clear QAM as well since I have cable for now. The SD picture is great for both but the HD is jerky (I suspect this is because my PPC G4 does not meet the minimum requirements.

I find the eyeTV hybrid a bit expensive at $150. Especially since one can get the miglia for $50 from newegg.com. Has anyone tried the miglia with a MAC mini and with what results. What about the pinnacle TV for MAC HD mini stick?

Finally if I stick with the eyeTV but I am too cheap to replace the PPC G$ for the time being is the eyetv 250 plus going to help/compensate for the short comings of the G4?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Until you replace that PPC mini with an Intel based Mac, there really isn't any point in discussing ATSC tuner options.

That said, the Miglia might work from a hardware perspective, but I don't think it has any Mac software. With the EyeTV you're buying not just the hardware but the software. You might want to look at the HD HomeRun. It's a network enabled dual ATSC tuner. There's a thread about it here .

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts

Quote:
I find the eyeTV hybrid a bit expensive at $150. Especially since one can get the miglia for $50 from newegg.com.

Let's see, buggy beta software instead of EyeTV software that works well 99.5% of the time, USB bus powered only instead of AC power and ATSC only instead of ATSC and QAM. You pay less, you get less. In this case it seems like you get much less.

I've used EyeTV for 4-5 years now, and the last thing I'd ever use with it is a cheap USB stick. I also haven't used a Miglia, The Tube, or a Tubestick, but the feeling around here is that Equinux and MediaCentral isn't worth much, and that's where "The Tube" software stems from. (MediaCentral was tolerable when it was a free Front Row alternative, but then only mildly.) Older Miglia hardware, back when they were smart enough to license EyeTV software, have a decent enough track record, and some folks over at the El Gato discussion forum still use Miglia hardware which EyeTV supports. Without EyeTV support, I wouldn't touch a new Miglia model or any of the new crop of VisionTek TV Wonder devices.

That's because El Gato and EyeTV have already been doing this at a high level for years--and hardware isn't worth much without good software backing it up. (Of course, I can see where a hardware device manufacturer can be sorely tempted to sell their crud without any software support and say buy your own third-party software to run it.) Now, to get right to the heart of your matter, would I buy a Hybrid for $150? No, but then I have this thing against cheap little sticks. I do think the EyeTV software is worth every penny, I'd just say pick up a 500 off Craigslist, an HD Homerun, a Hauppauge HD PVR or a 250+ instead--that's money better spent and better long term value.

A good time to buy an El Gato/EyeTV tuner, by the way, is during the week of Macworld, they've usually offered very good pricing and show discounts to all--not just attendees of the show. Perhaps you can return and re-buy?

Quote:
What about the pinnacle TV for MAC HD mini stick?

Pinnacle has dropped a bunch of different sticks on the market, you always see them on shelves at Best Buy and Circuit City and Microcenter, attractively priced and of course Windows only. I'd check over at the El Gato support site for their list of supported tuners, it may be some of the Pinnacle models ARE officially supported--I think the older PCTV HD Pro Stick IS supported. If so, might be worth a try, especially if you can return the product locally after you decide it doesn't meet your needs. The newest model, the one with ATSC and clear QAM that everyone's been hot over--the Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick version 801e--I don't think is supported by EyeTV. Pinnacle itself took a novel approach in releasing that product by not even including support for QAM in its Windows software.

You'd have to ask yourself why you'd want it, though--none of these sticks would do any better than the Hybrid, which can already do ATSC and QAM.

Quote:
My building is wired for ATSC and the signal is great. Just for kicks I tried Clear QAM as well since I have cable for now. The SD picture is great for both but the HD is jerky (I suspect this is because my PPC G4 does not meet the minimum requirements.

Is your Hybrid a 2008 model Hybrid? (Only the 2008 can do QAM.) As far as meeting minimum requirements, you'd still be able to record HD over ATSC and QAM just fine, and what EyeTV does when your processor isn't up to the task of playback is automatically throttle video down to 1/4 res. I had that same G4 mini a few years ago and it played back QAM high def fine at 1/4 res. It was quite nice, actually. Watching "live" HD with a Hybrid on a G4 would probably suck, though, with the USB port powering your device and also causing overhead--so don't even try. Watching a recording of an HD show should be OK, though, and not jerky at 1/4 res. It just won't be "HD."

Quote:
if I stick with the eyeTV but I am too cheap to replace the PPC G4 for the time being is the eyetv 250 plus going to help/compensate for the short comings of the G4?

The 2008 250+ wouldn't help with HD versus the 2008 Hybrid--its built-in hardware encoding only improves the analog side of things. I have a 250+ and like it a lot, it's been rock solid and it has the same Xceive XC5000 tuner that's in a bunch of other devices including the Hybrid, but then it is not bus-powered. As long as you have the G4 mini, you could at least archive high def from ATSC and QAM, and then watch in glorious HD at some point in the future when you upgrade to an Intel Mac (which you probably should have done already.)

I've seen the HD Homerun on sale as low as $129. That's how I'd go if I didn't already have a 250+ and several 500s.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Equinux just sent me an email saying that their Tubestick Hybrid is on sale for $70 off at $59.95 (plus about another $10 for shipping). So I was considering buying it. However, I'm still looking for some RECENT reviews of the previously reported, buggy software. Anyone been using the current version that can recommend getting it for this price over buying EyeTV for twice as much?

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by costas_htpc /forum/post/15428981

I am trying out the eyeTV hybrid with PPC G4 (1.42GHz) as a replacement for cable TV. My building is wired for ATSC and the signal is great. Just for kicks I tried Clear QAM as well since I have cable for now. The SD picture is great for both but the HD is jerky (I suspect this is because my PPC G4 does not meet the minimum requirements.

I find the eyeTV hybrid a bit expensive at $150. Especially since one can get the miglia for $50 from newegg.com. Has anyone tried the miglia with a MAC mini and with what results. What about the pinnacle TV for MAC HD mini stick?

Finally if I stick with the eyeTV but I am too cheap to replace the PPC G$ for the time being is the eyetv 250 plus going to help/compensate for the short comings of the G4?

Thanks

The Pinnacle Ministick for Mac works fine and can be found commonly for half the price of the Elgato Hybrid with the full version of EyeTV. Comes with both EyeTV lite and Pinnacle's own PC-based software. EyeTV lite is not as polished as the full version, but it works fine as a DVR on an Intel mini for both ATSC and ClearQam. It uses TitanTV for its program guide. You can upgrade to the full version of EyeTV for about $50, so even doing it that way it should cost less than $150.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.