AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm looking to purchase an AV receiver for my Vizio VX37L. Now since I don't know much I'm here asking you wonderful people for help. Since my tv only has the optical out is it worth getting an Onkyo tx-sr605 or should I stick to the onkyo 505? I don't want to pay for the features that I'm not going to be able to use.

Just in case, I have a toshiba a3 and a ps2 to hook up to my tv.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I am unsure what you mean by "my tv only has the optical out".

Were you planning on trying to hook up the A3 via HDMI to your TV and then running optical back to your receiver? That's not necessarily a good plan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sorry for not being clear.

I intend on hooking up the a3 and the ps2 to the av receiver but how do I get surround sound from my tv if I don't have a cable box? Would that then be with the optical cable?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Ah, I see. Makes sense.

I never use my TV sound
Optical is fine.

HDMI will probably become more common, and an HDMI receiver may be nice. Unfortunately, you pay a bit of a premium for three or more HDMI inputs. HDMI also lets you send decoded lossless audio from your A3 to an HDMI receiver, as long as the receiver supports HDMI/MPCM (Multi-channel PCM) - optical won't let you do that, but optical obviously sounds very good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts