AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Still trying to figure out what to purchase. I spent less time researching my last car purchase. LOL

My 3 choices are (by price)

Onkyo 709

Denon 3312

Onkyo 809

The 709 us about $140 (after tax) less than the 3312. The 3312 is about $200 (after tax) less than the 809. Pricing is Canadian and we don't get the good deals like those available to our southern friends. I could purchase from the US but lose out on warranty. I think that is risky seeing how these AVR's are not without issues.

The 709 does have multi-channel inputs which the 3312 lacks, though not sure I really need it. I have an Oppo 93 and could use hdmi for SACD. The 3312 has about 15w per channel more though guessing I won't really notice it. The video chip in the Onkyo's would appear to be better than that of the Denon, though currently have on older TV which only does 1080i. Denon has airplay, Onkyo does not. Currently don't have any apple devices (well i have an older IPOD but don't think that counts) but may at some point. Kind of don't like the green power light on the Denon but I'm sure I can get used to it. The 809 has about 10w/channel more than the Denon, dual and again likely better video chips, more weight (does that mean better PS?), etc.

The room is about 23ft length and about 12ft wide. Distance between seating area and speakers is about 15 feet. I'd say the AVR would be used 70/30 music/HT.

Looking forward to the replies.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
Go for whichever model has the highest level of Audyssey room correction. That's where you'll get the most appreciable difference between the units. If they all have the same Audyssey, it's about what features best fit your needs.

+/- 15w won't make much of a difference.

·
The Village Idiot
9,749 Posts
All three of those have Audyssey Mult EQ XT - very nice for room correction. Bells and whistles are about equal - I'd say get a three sided coin and flip it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe all three have Audyssey MultEQ XT. Feature wise they all have more than I have ever used before, and not sure at this point which features are more important. I'm finally replacing a 15yr old Pioneer AVR.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
+1

All of them have MultEQ XT so just pick the one that has more features you want. The Denon has airplay and the Onkyo has Dolby Volume. If you can find a Denon 3311 on clearance I would also look at it. The only real advantage of the 3312 is it can overlay GUI on top of 3D sources where the 3311 cannot. I looked at the Onkyo 809 as well but I got the 3311 a lot cheaper and I also was worried about Onkyo's quality control. I'm not saying you should, I'm just telling you how I made my decision.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
I think the 3312 is Audyssey "Pro" capable, not sure about the others. The value of that would be room and speaker dependant IMO.

It also requires bringing a technician or buying the "Pro" kit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.