AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good scaler and I want to bypass any unnecessary processing of the image, and not have to reconfigure the player each time I switch from SD DVD to BD. Has anybody compiled of list of players with this feature?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Think this came up before, but here are the ones I know of:

Pioneer- HD1, 94HD, 95HD (not sure about new ones)

Sony- S1, S300,S500, S2000es

These are the only ones I know of that will output source direct (480i doe SD DVD, and 1080p24 for BD without changing anything but the disc).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It seems they're moving away from it, so hard to get the newer sound formats together with source direct unless you pay $$$.

·
Registered
15,877 Posts
The new Pioneers (51FD and 05FD) have it as well.

·
Registered
6,883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBrawny /forum/post/14521265

I have a good scaler and I want to bypass any unnecessary processing of the image, and not have to reconfigure the player each time I switch from SD DVD to BD. Has anybody compiled of list of players with this feature?

Of the current models, Pioneer BDP-51FD, Pioneer BDP-05FD, Pioneer BDP-09FD.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I did a search but didn't come up with anything on this, I'm suprised it's not a more frequent topic...

I'm in the market for a Blu-Ray player to replace my PS3, and I'm looking for the best "source direct" option. The Oppo player advertises that it will do what I'm looking for, but I don't need it's other bells and whistles, and it's not on the market yet. I am curious if there is another option that's available now and maybe less expensive.

I'm running a Denon AVP-A1HDCI processor with Relta video processing and I'd like to keep all the video processing and audio decoding done there - I don't want the Blu-Ray player to touch anything.

I don't need:

*Profile 2.0

*Netflix/YouTube/Amazon/Etc. (I have those with other devices)

*SACD/DVD-A

·
Registered
86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearguy77 /forum/post/16071590

I'm looking for the same thing.

I'm considering the BDP-51FD but may wait for the BDP-320. Oppo is an option depending on the price.

My short list:

Pioneer BDP-05FD & BDP-51FD

Wait for Oppo DBP-83

Wait for Pioneer BDP-320

Others may tell you to go here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=969206

Figures I overlooked the sticky post
I'll take my question there, thanks

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Denon DVD-2500BTCI

Single HDMI output. No audio DAC, no video DAC. It is simply a transport.

It retails for $1000 but it is in closeout so you should be able to snag one for

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by namechamps /forum/post/16072480

Denon DVD-2500BTCI

Single HDMI output. No audio DAC, no video DAC. It is simply a transport.

It retails for $1000 but it is in closeout so you should be able to snag one for

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Also consider your connection type as an option. Some BD players will do 480i over S-Video and composite... and maybe component.

Simultaneously connecting HDMI for 1080p/24 sources. Video input selection would still have to be set separately by the scaler device tho

·
Banned
153 Posts
I am trying to bypass all the marketing driven video processing currently saturating the market and just get to the actual video on the disc.

Does any player allow this ?

All high end players now have video processing i do not want and do not need which to some degree degrade picture..

Im using a Sim2 HT5000E and have a very clear view of the picture and so far these added chips for video processing all take away some picture quality and do not add any useful features.

So I am looking for a modern player that is high end with defeatable video processing.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Oppo players have switchable source direct which bypasses all video processing

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You will find the Source Direct feature on most current Pioneer and Denon BD players. I believe Marantz as well, as it is a "kissing" cousin of Denon.

Mike T

·
Banned
153 Posts
Ok cool,,,, i think..

Denon says "source direct" is for audio here, but is under the video section..
http://www.usa.denon.com/DVD-A1UDCI_Lit1222.pdf

So someone here has verified that it really does *bypass* any video processing chip. Like almost physically. Sometimes turning off processing still leaves the processing inline just sets all its parameters to 0 still leaving it doing the math on the video and loosing some small quality because of limitation on processing bit depth in the math. I want to bypass any chips.

Also adding in menu overlay's can introduce errors even when the menus are not on screen.

The $8000 McIntosh MVP881BR does not appear to have this functionality anywhere in the menu's. Just FYI. http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/1398.asp even tho it appears to be based on the Denon mentioned above.

Is there someone here who has traced the video path and can say 100% that everything is bypassed ? I would feel better if so.. Maybe some HDMI data analyzer probing the bitstream as it goes..

·
Banned
153 Posts
Ok so, one test would seem simple...

So the output format on the HDMI changes with the format on the disc correct ?

If I put in a disc that has 1080-59.94 on it the HDMI will switch to this format, If I put in a 1080P23.98 based disc it will switch output formats on the HDMI to match, is this correct and is this what happens ?

Any other behavior would imply processing.

·
Banned
153 Posts
Even the Oppo page is written a bit odd..

Quote:
True 24p™ Video - Many Blu-ray Discs are recorded at 24 frames per second, the same frame rate as the original movie's theatrical release. The BDP-83 can faithfully redeliver the original frames using 1080p 24Hz output

The key word here is "redeliver". So no doubt 3/2 is done by some processing math.

I assume "True 24p™ Video" is disabled in source direct ?

What happens when you have a 59.94 display or are using analog component and the disc is 23.98 ? Does the player add 3/2 ? even if its in source direct ?

I also assume this is disabled in the Oppo "source direct"

Quote:
Multiple Zoom Modes - The BDP-83 supports multiple levels of aspect ratio control and image zooming, including a vertical stretch mode for customers with a 2.35:1 CIH (Constant Image Height) display system.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts