AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be using ~ 100" screen in a light control room (1 window that will be covered). So "I think" most pj's should be bright enough for that use.

I'm using a htpc / or quadscan, so a video only pj is definetly not on my list. I was looking at a sony 1031q, epc 3500, epc 4500+, or a sony 12xx.

my room is only 12x11, so I'm not sure if the 12xx machines may be too large for my setup. Material will be 95% dvd & the rest sat. tv (scaled through htpc or quadscan).

the 1031q is definetly the cheapest (~400-500) and the sony 12xx the most expensive (~1,500). I've heard that the max input on the 1031q is 540p, so does that mean the htpc resolution can't be 1024x768?

Basically I would just like peoples opinions...at these prices, which is the "best buy" for picture quality...(considering I have a low end LCD 4:3(1024x768 native) now, I assume all of these would be a step up in quality? Correct?)

1031q ~$450

epc 3500 ~ $750

epc 4500 ~ $1250

1252 ~ $1400

Are there any bad points to any of these that I should be aware?

To all of you that share a little of your knowledge and experience, I greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
While a 1031Q is a good beginner PJ, I would be careful with a HTPC. It will not forgive you if you accidentally scan at too high a rate. POOOF!

So you have to be sure of what you are doing with the HTPC. The 1031 is awesome for it's size, and VERY quiet. I am not an ecp person, so can't give an opinion there. The 1252 is good, it's BIG, and somewhat loud. But it's built like a brick. The picture is quite good, and all digital setup. It will also be more forgiving. I hear many good things about ECP's, though. I am sure someone will chime in on those.

Marc

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you mean if I accidently ran say 1024x768 into the 1031q....it will actually break something as opposed to just get a screwed up image or no input?

that sucks, not that it's not an easy problem to solve, but its rough to know the consequences of playing w/ powerstrip software could be death of the pj....ouch

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Yes.

Marc

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I've killed my 1031Q by feeding it 768p @ whatever refresh I had with my monitor. It was not pretty. It knocked out several transistors and screwed up my Bb board. The repair bill was around $300, although, I'm pretty sure just replacing the transistors would have fixed it. The button-sized transistors that it blew act like fuses I guess.

Using Powerstrip you can make what I believe is called a user INF file for your display device (in this case a 1031Q) and specify the range of allowable scan rates, refresh rates, and resolution. Just plug in the specs and that would prevent Windows from selecting an invalid setting. Still, accepting dangerous settings is a weakness of the 1031Q. It's all about trade-offs. The 103xQ line are great projectors. I own 3 of them.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I like the Sony 1271, good scan rates for HTPC and easy to set up. In my area I know of a place that threw 2 in the trash since they had about 10 stacked in a garage. Combining each's best parts I'd say they could build 4/5 impeccable ones, they just don't care :(

Also a few 1292s...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Of course there's no reason to be afraid of the 1031q, you just have to be careful. The HTPC will do exactly what you tell it to do. This is only a problem if you make a mistake!

I've had a 1031q for a month, and I'm very happy with it. There's loads of knowledge and info on this forum about it, and also on the web ( www.eboyztoyz.net ).

You get a lot of projector for your money. I'm new to this game, so I can't comment on any other projectors.

·
Banned
959 Posts
ecp 4500 for $1,250? don't fall for that. there is an 8000 in the classifieds here on avs for $800 or $900. (can't remember) i've bought several 8500's for less that $1,250.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the epc 4500 is not worth it I guess? ....it does come w/ a 1 year warranty from the company. I'm sure a marquee 800 would be better, but I think I'm somewhat limited by my space.....so I was originally considering the "smaller" crt units. Originally they would be placed inside a custom made (by me of course....no $ for that) coffee table, and eventually ceiling mounted.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Prices range so much. Tube condition is also a huge factor to those who actually sell CRTs and know what they are doing (which seems to be a minority of eBayers). I got a 32KHz capable 1030Q for $200 with mint tubes on eBay. I also got a 1031Q that had a roasted blue tube for $485 which I had replaced for $350 (ouch!). It's important to do research into a unit that catches your eye. I'd also recommend checking out the classifieds on AVS forum. I must say, despite the bummer that we have to pay to see the ads, I do have a little more freetime on my hands now that they cost. Or maybe I just supplement that time on eBay. Ha! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.