AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to re-paint my screen wall, which is currently Behr flat finish. I've always hated the look of the flat finish. Even the slightest touch shows up as a scuff. My 106" screen hangs on the wall with no border. Is it a mistake to use Behr flat enamel or eggshell? Will the flat enamel look just like the current flat? Thanks.
 

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
Joined
·
24,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18185240


I'm going to re-paint my screen wall, which is currently Behr flat finish. I've always hated the look of the flat finish. Even the slightest touch shows up as a scuff. My 106" screen hangs on the wall with no border. Is it a mistake to use Behr flat enamel or eggshell? Will the flat enamel look just like the current flat? Thanks.

Jim, the Screen wall itself has ZERO effect on the performance of the Screen...as per any reflective aspects in common with Side Walls or Ceilings


If it was a Gloss White, but received no direct or ambient light from any source, it wouldn't produce any detrimental reflected light back into the room. In a pitch Black room, it would look....Black. Now with a painted surface with a medium to high sheen, you could...must expect that it will take less light to create a detrimental reflective effect than would a Flat sheen surface.


Certainly if no light from the PJ's lens hits the "Wall" outside the Screen area. the Screen area's own reflected light cannot bend backwards to strike the Wall, nor could the light reflected from off the Screen Wall ever strike the Screen surface.


Really, except for aesthetics considerations in a lighted room, or help in boosting perceived Contrast in low Ambient light*, the Screen Wall's Color or Sheen total effect on the Screen itself is zilch.


Not so those Side Walls or Ceilings, and if they are painted with a Eggshell or Satin.........you'll have a decided effect...anything from a "Glow" to a "Shine", made considerably worse if your watching a dark scene, and then content switches to a much brighter scene and the entire room lights up.


I've seen it....and it's not a pretty sight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
589 Posts
I used Bher Silver Screen....which is kind of a mid to dark gray......mixed with white pearl, faux glaze, and silver (BASICS)....as per the attached link....I don't recall the exact proportions. I was trying to follow up a recipe from the Screen DIY forum but could not get all the materials quantities.....


I got mixed results...some movies looked great..in others I had to adjust the contrast very hight to raise the white levels...with mixed results....


I painted over a thrifty 300 board from Home Depot, which was very shinny and showed a lot of hot spoting before painting. I wonder whether this is still showing up thru the paint, somehow. The hot spot is gone..however I plan to give it couple of more paint passes, this time adding some white to my remaining mixture to have a more light gray finish....with the Behr flat white 1750, which is self primer.


I was watching the trailer of AVATAR from HDNet last week...and the image looked gorgeous....So I guess the movie transfer plays a role, as well.....


I am just a novice on this...and I am offering my comments just to share my experience. I am sure there are fellows with much more expertise than me on this forum that you may want to check.

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/a...n/DSC00929.jpg
 

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
Joined
·
24,910 Posts
Don't paint that Thrifty white Screen with more paint. What your seeing now is what you should expect, and any effect the underlying White surface has is beneficial as far as maintaining the Whites as close as they can be on a Gray surface.


If it was causing any degree of Hot Spotting or excessive glare, you'd know it....it just too obvious.


It's more likely your mix itself is the culprit, with some elements working counter to each other. Leastwise, that's what I can infer from your stated results. Mixing Glaze with Pearl, and the wrong amount / kind of Silver Metallic is a risky endeavor. What were your ratio amounts? Is that an "advised" Mix or your creation?


Under a unbalanced Screen situation, indeed some material can look great. Movies usually have a reduced brightness, so they seem to show fine on surfaces that otherwise look too glossy under HDTV content influence.


High Gain isn't good if it's not under control, and Low Gain is hardly worth a thing if it cost you image quality watching dark content.


Balance....yessir.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks MM. Does the flat enamel look identical to the flat finish? Or is it a slight sheen(between flat and eggshell)?
 

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
Joined
·
24,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/18186243


Thanks MM. Does the flat enamel look identical to the flat finish? Or is it a slight sheen(between flat and eggshell)?

The density of the Interior Flat Latex Enamels imparts a slightly higher degree of reflectivity than a pure Flat Latex. The latter can have a "dusty" feeling texture, even when Rolled, but the former usually feels more 'slick'.


It doesn't take much to turn the corner between the negative gain results of absorption/refraction and the positive gain results of reflection. Muting the excessive, and utilizing the recessive efficiently balances out a Screen's input.


In everything I've been a part of so far since my MMud days, the primary idealism was/is to provide the most Contrast AND Gain to effect a truly balanced viewing situation. Always matching the Room Colors and Sheens to the needed requirements of the PJ, or vise versa wasn't something that happened by chance (...if indeed it could happen at all...).


Subtle differences add up to become issues, or make a difference in creating solutions. Compromise or "hope" at one location can lead to painful realizations at another. But not Compromising on known parameters will never result in failure via a lack of correct thinking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,993 Posts
While I've never painted a DIY screen, but as a former interior painter, I've painted my share of rooms with many different paint brands. Behr is terrible. In fact, most that paint for a living consider Behr to be the Bose of the paint world. Even if you don't want to spend the money to get Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore, you'd be better off buying Glidden from HD.

Behr spreads terribly and takes more coats for the same effect when compared to almost anything else. Now, it takes me less coats than most people because I know what I'm doing. Case in point, I painted my theater ceiling flat black (Sherwin Williams) in ONE coat and you'll never find a streak or line in it. That would be impossible with Behr. With Behr, I might have needed 3 coats (probably 2 with Glidden). All of a sudden, it's not so cheap.
 

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
Joined
·
24,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/18186842


It's a mistake to use Behr of any kind.

Wow!
I haven't seen such a vicious swipe at Behr paints since the "It's Loaded with Talcum Powder" days.



The fact is that a great many DIY Screens have been made using the Behr products, and much effort and trial has gone into testing their use and viability in that application.


In DIY, cost and easy availability means a lot, and many DIY solutions are modeled around easily available....and affordable products. I personally have used Behr paints in the making of hundreds of Screens comprised of the simplest to most complex DIY formulas. All good so far.



......so how come your so hateful to one of our "Homeys", Dude?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/18186959


While I've never painted a DIY screen, but as a former interior painter, I've painted my share of rooms with many different paint brands. Behr is terrible. In fact, most that paint for a living consider Behr to be the Bose of the paint world. Even if you don't want to spend the money to get Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore, you'd be better off buying Glidden from HD.

Behr spreads terribly and takes more coats for the same effect when compared to almost anything else. Now, it takes me less coats than most people because I know what I'm doing. Case in point, I painted my theater ceiling flat black (Sherwin Williams) in ONE coat and you'll never find a streak or line in it. That would be impossible with Behr. With Behr, I might have needed 3 coats (probably 2 with Glidden). All of a sudden, it's not so cheap.

Well, we have many apps that do use all those other paints. usually the choice is made based on ready availability.


One might also consider that many DIY applications contain additional ingredients such as Poly Acyclic Urethane and additional Craft or Artist paints. And perhaps most importantly, all depend upon the laying down of multiple coats. (2 minimum)


But your right that quality can/does make a difference. It's just a fact of life that many DIY'ers will make the all to obvious choice of spending less to accomplish what they want to do, so often applications are geared around keeping both complexity and cost to a minimum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/18186976


It's just a fact of life that many DIY'ers will make the all to obvious choice of spending less to accomplish what they want to do, so often applications are geared around keeping both complexity and cost to a minimum.

Agreed. Which is why I usually recommend Glidden. It's even cheaper than Behr (and better). But, this is for straight painting of rooms. I know nothing about the complexities of mixing paints to achieve the perfect screen color.
 

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
Joined
·
24,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/18187056


Agreed. I know nothing about the complexities of mixing paints to achieve the perfect screen color.

Well Gol 'Durn it....give it a whurl.



Anyone with more than a basic understanding of paint, and a desire to have "The Big Picture" on the cheap, can find nirvana here on DIY Screens pretty easily.


..........or a horrible addiction to a never ending quest for something always "Mo Bedder".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,993 Posts
I looked into DIY once about 6 years ago (read a few of your posts about it - Mississippi Mud, IIRC), but then pulled the trigger on my Carada. Have never looked back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Glidden paint is a lot thinner than Behr, isn't it? A few years ago it was anyway.Consumer Reports always rates Kilz paints from Walmart a "Best Buy".
 

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
Joined
·
24,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/18187252


I looked into DIY once about 6 years ago (read a few of your posts about it - Mississippi Mud, IIRC), but then pulled the trigger on my Carada. Have never looked back.

That's best, because DIY shot ahead of Carada some time ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/18186842


It's a mistake to use Behr of any kind.

You're the ex-interior painter, so clearly you must know more than me on the subject, but for what it's worth: I just painted my wall with Behr Silverscreen last weekend, because I have very light walls, carpet, and ceiling, and the bright scenes lit up the room something awful and seemed to wash out the pic a little.


I used one coat, no problems whatsoever, and I am happy with the results so far. I was going to try a lighter shade, like snowfield from Glidden, but they had no snowfield samples in the store, and I didn't want to purchase if I couldn't actually see the color in person ahead of time (not on the Home Depot computer screen) . So I wandered over to Behr and found Silverscreen and took the $12 gamble.


Maybe I just got lucky with my set-up and walls and such.
 

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
Joined
·
24,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely8 /forum/post/18405481


You're the ex-interior painter, so clearly you must know more than me on the subject, but for what it's worth: I just painted my wall with Behr Silverscreen last weekend, because I have very light walls, carpet, and ceiling, and the bright scenes lit up the room something awful and seemed to wash out the pic a little.

With the emphasis on the poster being an "Ex" Painter you can probably look to the fact that in the past less expensive Behr paints did contain fillers such as Talc. Painters who had to struggle with such paint can be understood for developing a distaste for such a Brand that used such, but the past does not / cannot condemn Behr forever. Besides that, Home Depot is a DIY'ers store. You'll find most Pro Painters parked outside a Sherwin Williams or similar "dedicated" paint store. but the premium Behr paints have risen to new quality levels so basically, it's all good these days.

Quote:
I used one coat, no problems whatsoever, and I am happy with the results so far. I was going to try a lighter shade, like snowfield from Glidden, but they had no snowfield samples in the store, and I didn't want to purchase if I couldn't actually see the color in person ahead of time (not on the Home Depot computer screen) . So I wandered over to Behr and found Silverscreen and took the $12 gamble.


Maybe I just got lucky with my set-up and walls and such.

With just one coat, you'd have to have "lathered" it on. And in that case I'd most certainly say you lucked out. But no matter that, it's the fact your pleased that counts, so knowing that, anybody / everybody can say; "Good Job".


Now where are the Screen shots!!!!


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/18409374


With just one coat, you'd have to have "lathered" it on. And in that case I'd most certainly say you lucked out. But no matter that, it's the fact your pleased that counts, so knowing that, anybody / everybody can say; "Good Job".

Re: one coat - being lazy and as it was a Saturday, I rolled, instead of the recommended spraying, so maybe that's why only one would work. It was an already painted wall, as well.


If I can't see any uneven coverage anywhere, is there any benefit to a second coat? I had enough left to do that if I wanted to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/18409374


Now where are the Screen shots!!!!



I haven't mastered taking good photos of my screen in action yet. It seems like they all come out grainy and don't do the picture justice. When I get a good one, I'll post it.


Finally, thanks to Mississippi Man and others who have posted on all these screen topics. I am usually in the audio forums and jumped in the deep end with no preparation when I found a cheap projector on closeout a month ago. Been playing catch up since and the folks on this section and the projector section have been great.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top