AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a projector this week. First time purchase and would like to stay under 1000 but will go higher if need to. I have been looking at the Benqw1070 for a while then came across the 1085st. Has any one used both of these that could give me a review which is the better of the two?

I will be using it in a bedroom and it will be back about 10 to 12 feet . 3d doesn't matter to me. The projector will be used mainly to watch movies at night so daylight doesn't matter. I'm open to other suggestions for a projector. I'm mainly looking for a good entry lvl projector that will be used to watch movies on blue ray and some streaming of Netflix. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm looking to purchase a projector this week. First time purchase and would like to stay under 1000 but will go higher if need to. I have been looking at the Benqw1070 for a while then came across the 1085st. Has any one used both of these that could give me a review which is the better of the two?

I will be using it in a bedroom and it will be back about 10 to 12 feet . 3d doesn't matter to me. The projector will be used mainly to watch movies at night so daylight doesn't matter. I'm open to other suggestions for a projector. I'm mainly looking for a good entry lvl projector that will be used to watch movies on blue ray and some streaming of Netflix. Thanks for your input.
Like you, I am a newbie to this obsession... I mean hobby. :rolleyes: There are many here with much more experience than I have, but I will give you my experience, for what it's worth...

I bought the HT1075 last week - the near identical twin to the W1070. I set the projector up on a small table as I don't get the ceiling mount shipment until tomorrow. I built a 8' x 12' wall in my basement to test various screen sizes. As of today, that wall has only one coat of white primer on it. It will get another coat of primer and then a coat of the recommended Sherwin Williams extra white paint. The projector is 130" from the wall. Even with this very basic setup, we had a fantastic time with our debut movie last night (Avengers). I haven't even measured the image size, but it was BIG... maybe 130" diagonal (1.78:1). Based on your distance, I don't think you need a short-throw projector. Get the W1070 (or the HT1075) and prepare to be blown away. :)

Good luck with your decision and your setup.

Steven

·
Registered
7 Posts
I asked just recently (first time purchaser as well) and the first feedback was to just get the w1070 (or it's newer version) unless you have a specific reason to get the 1085.

I mentioned needing to mount to the ceiling (cause of kids) and I had a ceiling fan that it'd be very close to if not right on top of because of the throw distance required. I also have a Wii U and other stand up games. With that said I was told those are good reasons to consider the short throw.

One of the good points that was mentioned about the short throw is that it does worse if the screen is perfectly taught. If you're projecting against a wall then I'm guessing that won't be a concern but thought I'd mention that as well.

Hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts