AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I'd like to get a big HDTV that will work with both computer (Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X) screens (gaming, videos, work, etc.) and watching medias (TV shows/series, movies, etc. through cable TV and OTA). Also, I would like to have many options for inputs (VGA [still using an old KVM from Y2K], DVI, HDMI, etc.) and outputs. Which ones would work for my needs?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
My Vizio TVs have VGA inputs. However be careful because widescreen HDTVs are 16x9 but widescreen computer monitors are 16x10. Make sure your computer can handle 16x9 or your picture will be squished.

Rick R

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R  /t/1415178/which-big-vizio-hdtvs-fo...tv-movies-fullscreen-videos-etc#post_22133402

My Vizio TVs have VGA inputs. However be careful because widescreen HDTVs are 16x9 but widescreen computer monitors are 16x10. Make sure your computer can handle 16x9 or your picture will be squished.

Rick R
Hopefully, it will let me use DVI (no adapters) directly like I do with my Samsung LCD 19" monitor with dual ports (VGA and DVI) so I can tell my video card not to stretch and to keep the aspect ratio (don't mind the borders).

·
Registered
759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R  /t/1415178/which-big-vizio-hdtvs-fo...vies-fullscreen-videos-etc/0_50#post_22133402

Rick R
I think you'll find that most newer monitors are 16:9 also ... indeed, it is almost hard to find a 16:10, 1920x1200.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbynum  /t/1415178/which-big-vizio-hdtvs-fo...tv-movies-fullscreen-videos-etc#post_22138984

I think you'll find that most newer monitors are 16:9 also ... indeed, it is almost hard to find a 16:10, 1920x1200.
Resolutions doesn't bother me as long as they are big and I can tell my video cards not to stretch in horrible aspect ratios if not native. I don't mind the black borders either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts