AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me tell you that I am into audio quality as much as picture quality. Currently, I have a Toshiba HD DVD player hooked up via 5.1 analog which routes through my receiver (Yamaha 2500). My speakers are Axiom 60, 150 and QS8's and an SVS PB12/NSD 2. Therefore, whichever BluRay I receive, I will want to hook up via analog because I don't have an HDMI receiver.

With that said, which BluRay player should I purchase? I am not sure I am going to get that much more from a more expensive player and was looking at the Phillips. Please post your opinion.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have owned the PS3, S1, Samsung and "auditioned" the Panasonic. The ONLY one I have not owned or tried is the Pioneer. I would get the Pioneer if I had the cash to blow, but my fave of all the rest has been the Sony S1. Its a solid, great, glitch free player and i have owned TWO.

The PS3 was returned to Target after 45-50 days as it crapped out. Kept freezing up the last few days and running loud. Also, i found the BD playback softer than any other player. I also di not like the way it loaded the discs. A few got some little scratched on them from the PS3 slot. Also did not care to use the controller for my remote.

The S1 has sharper playback, a deeper more 3D image and has a "different" look to me over the PS3. Sure the PS3 is the best bang for the buck, but reliability goes a long way and when mine died after 45 days I decided to stick with the S1 (which I just picked up a 2nd S1 for $710 at BB, new in box)

The Sammy also has a VERY good sharp picture with the latest FW, but I had some glitches with it and I do not like glitches.

I would go with the S1 unless you have deep pockets and want to pay 2X as much for the Elite. If I had the cash I would.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, based on the responses, the Pioneer is #1, but I don't really want to pay that much for a player. Therefore, it seems to leave me with the Sony or the Panasonic, everyone else dismissed the rest in one way or the other.

Therefore, of others that have used the Sony and Panasonic, is there any difference in the loudness of the cooling fan between the two? Also, how about the sound quality using the analog's?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I'm surprised that the PS3 Blu-Ray is able to hold it's own, let alone beat, stand-alone Blu-Ray players.

Anybody got any ideas why this is so?

Considering you're getting gaming too for the price, I would have taken 'almost as good' as more than acceptable.

I wonder what or how Sony was able to give us such good quality in the PS3 for the price. Unless they shortchanged elsewhere?

I'm thinking about getting a PS3 and it would be as much for the Blu-Ray as for games (last gaming system I bought was Turbo-Grafx from NEC back in 1991
).

·
Registered
847 Posts
I already have HD DVD and am looking to get a BD player this year. However I don't want a PS3 and the BD players out now seem to have mixed reviews, so I'm uneasy about them. That's why I decided that I'll just pick up one of the upcoming players this year. My question is, which upcoming BD player is shaping up to be the best?

·
Registered
290 Posts

bmw528is said:
Jay7 said:
So, based on the responses, the Pioneer is #1, but I don't really want to pay that much for a player. Therefore, it seems to leave me with the Sony or the Panasonic, everyone else dismissed the rest in one way or the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay7 /forum/post/0

The Panasonic was posted above as being $1,400. Pretty steep if you ask me.

I managed to find the Panasonic DMP-BD10 for only $1000 with shipping online, try searching for better prices. The Panasonic player has much better future audio options than the Sony, but no 1080p24 so far.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just picked up the PS 3 on friday. It serves as a less expensive solution to a bluray player. It also has hdmi 1.3 so when you do up grade your reciever it is ready. It also decodes Dolby truhd out of the box. I found it as a good deal. I got the 20 gig one. It cost the same as my Toshiba, so I got both for the cost of one stand alone bluray player.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevevideoman69 /forum/post/0

I just picked up a 2nd S1 for $710 at BB, new in box.

Care to explain how?

·
Registered
362 Posts

Quote:

First, let me tell you that I am into audio quality as much as picture quality. Currently, I have a Toshiba HD DVD player hooked up via 5.1 analog which routes through my receiver (Yamaha 2500). My speakers are Axiom 60, 150 and QS8's and an SVS PB12/NSD 2. Therefore, whichever BluRay I receive, I will want to hook up via analog because I don't have an HDMI receiver.

With that said, which BluRay player should I purchase? I am not sure I am going to get that much more from a more expensive player and was looking at the Phillips. Please post your opinion.

If you care much about audio quality, then please make sure you research into the players' advanced audio (Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA) decoding capabilities. The Philips and Sony S1 do neither! The Panasonic may! Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

nick2010 said:
bmw528is said:
Quote:

I managed to find the Panasonic DMP-BD10 for only $1000 with shipping online, try searching for better prices. The Panasonic player has much better future audio options than the Sony, but no 1080p24 so far.

The Panny is an excellent system and not supporting 1080p24 IMO is nothing short of academic (i.e. makes no difference as the human eye will never see the difference in PQ - and I'm a Qualia 004 owner )

·
Registered
556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevevideoman69 /forum/post/0

I Sure the PS3 is the best bang for the buck, but reliability goes a long way and when mine died after 45 days I decided to stick with the S1 (which I just picked up a 2nd S1 for $710 at BB, new in box)

Do you mean Best Buy by BB? If so, I would like to check if it's in store ONLY sale as online it's showing 1K.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
forget the PS3, it is not a viable solution because of the analog outs and remote

the Sony S1 is a friggin nice player, amazing build and image, I would try and get one right now if it weren't for lack of funds
and no TrueHD/DTS Master or hint of such coming

I am tired of waiting on that, software is out but no player can handle it

I have my eye on a Panny when I can spare the cash as they have promised the sound formats via firmware, so right now I am without player

-Gary

·
Registered
94 Posts
Another thing about the PS3, All of you guys seem that recommend it so much in all the posts need to make sure the people are you recommending it to have a tv that will do 720p&1080i/p 720p, 720 for the games that cant scale up and 1080i/p for the movies that wont scale down. Unless someone has been following along they wont know this stuff. And if they had been following along they wouldn't be asking the question in the first place = )

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Gary. what happened to your sammy?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I too might be in the market for BD this year. Here's what I've surmised so far:

The PS3 might be the best value BD Player (low cost - good features) but has scaling issues and doesn't do analog out, or IR (a must have for me). The Sony is a good next choice, but doesn't do advanced audio codecs and might not in the future. The Pioneer is overpriced in my opinion and seems only to be a glorified Sony S1, so the Panny seems to be the best choice to get high-quality BD Audio and Video NOW, and possibility of not having to upgrade in the future.

Why does this have to be so hard? It seems to me that BD hardware is a step behind. Should I wait for 2nd Gen BD before getting in line? (or does someone know of an IR hack for the PS3?)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.