AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
proper 1080i deinter of the bluray disks that are mastered in 1080i? I know the panasonic 30 doesn't and some of the other sammy's don't but what about the new Sammy 1500 or older 5000 or the denon 2500?

thanks alot,

jim

·
Registered
6,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim /forum/post/14209805

proper 1080i deinter of the bluray disks that are mastered in 1080i? I know the panasonic 30 doesn't and some of the other sammy's don't but what about the new Sammy 1500 or older 5000 or the denon 2500?

thanks alot,

jim

Personally I would only trust a player with a Reon/Realta or equivalent video processor chip in it - I think the only remotely decent current one under $1000 is the BD-UP5000, but that even has a lot of glitches and probably isn't the best player to get. The Panasonic BD30 as you stated bobs 1080i, lowering effective resolution significantly; I'd imagine most other BD players do the same because of cost issues.

However you can also get a player that can output 480i DVD/1080i Blu-ray directly to a scaler (i.e. Pioneer BDP-51FD/BDP-05FD) such as the Gefen Realta scaler ($699), Onkyo 875 receiver (Reon/$1000), or Integra DTC-9.8 processor (Reon/$1500) and get the 1080i properly deinterlaced that way.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined /forum/post/14212050

Personally I would only trust a player with a Reon/Realta or equivalent video processor chip in it - I think the only remotely decent current one under $1000 is the BD-UP5000, but that even has a lot of glitches and probably isn't the best player to get. The Panasonic BD30 as you stated bobs 1080i, lowering effective resolution significantly; I'd imagine most other BD players do the same because of cost issues.

However you can also get a player that can output 480i DVD/1080i Blu-ray directly to a scaler (i.e. Pioneer BDP-51FD/BDP-05FD) such as the Gefen Realta scaler ($699), Onkyo 875 receiver (Reon/$1000), or Integra DTC-9.8 processor (Reon/$1500) and get the 1080i properly deinterlaced that way.

Don't hold your breath for the Gefen. They have now put that one off until the end of the year or early next year. May not ever see it.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 /forum/post/14212055

Don't hold your breath for the Gefen. They have now put that one off until the end of the year or early next year. May not ever see it.

Well, that's too bad.

Personally, I'm using the Integra DTC-9.8 now, which I plan to couple with the BDP-51FD w/ Source Direct when it comes out. While its not perfect, that combo would be far better than most Blu-ray players by themselves.

For most people, I feel the Onkyo 875 is the best deal anyway. Nextgen receiver + awesome video processor for $1k at Amazon. Perfect for a new Blu-ray player, and a better deal than the Gefen anyway!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined /forum/post/14212050

I can't get over that there isn't realy anything out there right now except the Denon 3800.

Right now I have a SD DVD solution that I am happy with. All I really need now is a BluRay player that just does HD properly. I guess I could just go with a "direct" player out to the scaler in my pioneer plasma, but I was just wondering if there was any other solution out there minus the processor/receiver route. I just a few months ago got a Marantz 8002 which I am very happy with.

I was hoping the denon 2500 did it properly cause a transport would be perfect cause it's all I need. I can live with the LFE bug with it's fix.

Does anyone know if the 2500 does it properly?

jimi

PS I was going to look at the 9.8 a while back but then didn't due to the fact that it took analog ins and put them back to digital. There wasn't a clear direct route. I wanted that with the DAC I use with my Macbook pro for music.

jim

·
Registered
6,879 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim /forum/post/14212148

I can't get over that there isn't realy anything out there right now except the Denon 3800.

Right now I have a SD DVD solution that I am happy with. All I really need now is a BluRay player that just does HD properly. I guess I could just go with a "direct" player out to the scaler in my pioneer plasma, but I was just wondering if there was any other solution out there minus the processor/receiver route. I just a few months ago got a Marantz 8002 which I am very happy with.

I was hoping the denon 2500 did it properly cause a transport would be perfect cause it's all I need. I can live with the LFE bug with it's fix.

Does anyone know if the 2500 does it properly?

The Denon 2500 is essentially a rebadged Panasonic BD30 with a beefier power supply. The 2500 has the same 1080i problems as the BD30.

Your best bet is a Pioneer BDP-51FD with Source Direct to your Pioneer Plasma.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts