AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully I can ask this here. I have searched a lot and can't find consistent answer in any thread.

For those that have them, what is the regular def DVD performance like from your player? can anyone comment on a comparison to the tandard def performance of the Toshiba HD DVD players (I don't want a bash thread, just info from those that have a machine and can compare).

For me to step up to a BR or HD DVD player, I will also want really solid upscale performance of regular DVD's as I won't re-purchase an entire new movie library.

Can you give me name/model of player, viewing system, connection, and how it compares to your standard DVD player performance as viewed on a hi-def screen.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
16,935 Posts
Duffer,

I can only speak to the Panasonic player. I have both the Panasonic and the Toshiba XA1. When upconverting SDDVD, the Toshiba wins hands down. I see quite a bit of artifacting and the picture looks extremely soft on the panny. Whether it can be corrected with a software update or is inherent in BR, I cannot answer.

As a BR player it is spectacular, and I have been very pleased with it.

S~

·
Registered
6,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac /forum/post/0

Duffer,

I can only speak to the Panasonic player. I have both the Panasonic and the Toshiba XA1. When upconverting SDDVD, the Toshiba wins hands down. I see quite a bit of artifacting and the picture looks extremely soft on the panny. Whether it can be corrected with a software update or is inherent in BR, I cannot answer.

As a BR player it is spectacular, and I have been very pleased with it.

S~

I have the Panasonic but no HD-DVD player so I cant dispute your statement. However, these guys seem to think the Panny is at least equal or better.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=740325

·
Banned
561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus1099 /forum/post/0

I have the Panasonic but no HD-DVD player so I cant dispute your statement. However, these guys seem to think the Panny is at least equal or better.

I'd compare the Toshiba XA2 to the Panasonic BD player if comparing SD performance. Closer in price. The XA2 has SO's HQV chip which sets the standard.

·
Super Moderator
16,935 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus1099 /forum/post/0

Hola,

As a Blu-ray player exclusively it is up there. As an upconverting machine for SDDVD, I find it lacking. Extremely soft and quite a bit of artifacting. I will use the Toshiba for that, and the panny for Blu-ray titles exclusively.

S~

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Toshiba HD DVD XA2 seems to be the absolute best upconverting player to date.

·
Registered
15,131 Posts
The new Samsung Blu-ray player to be released uses the Reon chipset which is used in the XA2 - it also will list $200 less than the Toshiba. However, it remains to be seen just how well it performs.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Really now...like BDA wants you to upconvert anyway...the PS3 blows and is unbearable to watch SD dvd's on..now the A1/A2.....upscaling better than my Oppo on side by side comparison......

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I can tell, the real leaders then are the Toshiba HD A1/A2

then the Pioneer Elite BD player,

Sony

Samsung

then way down,

PS3.

I am compiling these comments and what I have read in reviews and other threads here.

I will wait to hear about the LG dual player.

I need to shorten my equipment stack a bit., and want to maximise the versatility of my equipment. Of course I don't want to give anything up.

·
Super Moderator
16,935 Posts
I don't know about the LG. We'll have to wait and see if it actually performs.

As for the Panasonic, I noticed a drastic improvement in Upconverting SDDVD's after the 1.4 firmware update.

S~

·
Premium Member
24,254 Posts
I am planning to do a real good A/B comparison (Saturday) on the Pioneer verus the XA2 for SD playback... Should be fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.